I have an RP150 and a Peavey valveking 112. I was wondering if there is a way i can make a preset that is completely transparent and can only be used to attenuate in the effects loop so I can turn up my volume and run the tubes hot
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
You could use it as a volume pedal in the effects loop, so you can drive the tubes a little more without the volume.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
No. That will just function like a master volume on the amp. It will allow you to run the preamp hard, but not the power amp which is the goal of an attenuator.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
so then I just need to buy an attenuator? what do you suggest? I hear the "suck pedal "is decent
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

hot plate is awesome expensive but i got it used for 150
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
my budget is like 56 right now :\ alot of spending this summer. TY in advance tho guys
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by Kevin Saale
No. That will just function like a master volume on the amp. It will allow you to run the preamp hard, but not the power amp which is the goal of an attenuator.

This.

If you're lowering your signal in the loop, it's exactly the same as turning down your master volume.

For attenuators, I'd suggest the Weber MASS in North America because it's far cheaper than buying a Hotplate.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
This.

If you're lowering your signal in the loop, it's exactly the same as turning down your master volume.

For attenuators, I'd suggest the Weber MASS in North America because it's far cheaper than buying a Hotplate.

That or build your own. There's no reason to get a hotplate over a MASS. Even if they sound exactly alike the mass is so much cheaper it makes the choice pretty simple. Add on to that most people who try both prefer the mass... That being said I've only tried the mass.

Now the next question is what are you doing with this attenuator? If you want to crank the amp and bring it down to bedroom volumes you will be disappointed.
^ When I get around to buying that Metropoulous '68 Plexi kit, I'll be building a 200W clone of my MASS 100. I can probably part it out for less than half the price of a new one.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you just wanna tame the Valveking's volume, you could use the RP150's volume pedal to bring it down to bedroom levels.

Or do what I do, and use an equalizer (MXR M-108 is the popular choice amongst Valveking users) to quiet the amp down in addition to taming and increasing some frequencies.

But if you're wanting power tube saturation and AC/DC-like crunch from the clean channel, you should go with a Weber MASS. Either way, you could probably use an equalizer in the loop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by zeemonkey
my budget is like 56 right now :\ alot of spending this summer. TY in advance tho guys

Like what's been suggested, just build one. An attenuator circuit is pretty damn simple.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^With the potential to destroy an amp if you get something wrong. Double check your work and don't get sloppy. Having a proper load is even more critical when you're pushing an amp.

Example. Running an amp into a mismatched load is going to strain the output transformer. The added strain of cranking it could be enough to blow the tubes at best, possibly blow the OT if you're unlucky.

I don't think VKs are the most sturdy of amps so I wouldn't want to be cranking it and running it into a mismatched load. Or worse, have the load fail and have the amp running with no load.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^With the potential to destroy an amp if you get something wrong. Double check your work and don't get sloppy. Having a proper load is even more critical when you're pushing an amp.

Example. Running an amp into a mismatched load is going to strain the output transformer. The added strain of cranking it could be enough to blow the tubes at best, possibly blow the OT if you're unlucky.

I don't think VKs are the most sturdy of amps so I wouldn't want to be cranking it and running it into a mismatched load. Or worse, have the load fail and have the amp running with no load.

I figured that should be standard procedure for everyone so I didn't say anything about it. I doubt he'll be able to get the tone he wants out of it though, even with the attenuator.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
sorry i havent responded. been busy

I just want to bring the high volume sound down to bedroom levels.

So this MASS is a homemade attenuator? If yes, and its that good. Can you guys link me some schematics?
Quote by Twist of fate

ah. well in that case can you link me to instructions to create a reliable attenuator for 50w tube amp.

Im still trying to get the rp150 make the amp sound good at low vols
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by Kevin Saale

having a master volume after the preamp helps alot with getting a more cranked sounding tone at lower levels

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Just use a bit of overdrive over the VKs distortion.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by timzee117
having a master volume after the preamp helps alot with getting a more cranked sounding tone at lower levels

How exactly does turning down the power amp constitute cranked?