I'm looking for a specific sound so please if you can help me out. I've been playing the drums for 15 years and want to start playing the guitar, b/c I have all these songs in my head and learning the guitar is the only way to get them out of me. What I really want is a 7 string for a nice low crunchy sound. I don' t know if i'll need an amp or not? I don't plan on playing infront of anyone anytime soon, I was just hoping i'd be able to plug into my computer or something. My style is mostly metal, kind of like Meshuggah style, or what ever people call it.. djent sound?

So if anyone could help me out picking out gear/software it would be real nice. I'm looking to spend ~$2k-3k.

I've also been told that starting off on a 7 string is hard and isn't the best idea, but I really don't want to spend money on a 6 string, then switch to a 7. I'd rather just learn on a 7.

I hope this is the right forum for this, if not please excuse me.
$1000 Schecter Hellraiser
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Hellraiser-C-7-FR-7-String-Electric-Guitar-515884-i1424448.gc
$500 Peavey Vypyr 100W
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922885-i1413608.gc

I dont know a lot about recording and stuff. But u will still have about a K for mics and software. I wish i had that kind of budget!!!
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Wow, 2-3 grand, that's certainly something to work with. I say get an amp. With cash like that you can get something seriously banging, not to mention there is no other feeling like cranking up your amp and laying down a riff.

Do you have reasoning for wanting a seven string though? There really is no need for it starting out, even later on. It's nifty if you want to write a few unique riffs, that's kind of it. Kind of an unneeded gift, if I may say so myself. It would also be very annoying because the neck would be wider and harder to use compared to a standard 6 string guitar. If you want one though, by all means, get it.

I say definitley buy an amp, there's no point in starting out without an amp, you COULD plug in to your computer and record and buy recording software, but it's not essential or even necessary/recommended when starting.

EDIT:
Guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-SC607B-7String-Baritone-Electric-Guitar?sku=516651
Amp:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Vetta-II-Combo-Amp?sku=482238

The amp is FRICKING LOUD but it pretty much contains everything you'll need, and more.

Really though, unless you already have some sort of skill on guitar or something of the sort, you really do not need to focus on recording gear.

Also, if you want to save some dough in the process, you can go used and buy gear on your local craigslist, Amazon, eBay, whatever the hell. Buying stuff second hand when it comes to guitars is a reliable process about 99% (random percentage, but it is pretty safe) of the time and usually worth it.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 30, 2009,
I did a little searching on what other people use, they spend a CRAP ton on software and equipment. I'll probably up my budget to no less then $4k.

I looked at this guys equipment set up http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=864408 and he pretty much inspired me to go through with this. Ands yes i'll probably get an amp now that i've thought about it a bit.

Also, I already have fruity loops with EZdrummer + DFH.

*Edit this will probably take me a year to get to the point of buying everything, but right now i'll start with the basics.
Last edited by ch00ch0096 at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by ch00ch0096
I did a little searching on what other people use, they spend a CRAP ton on software and equipment. I'll probably up my budget to no less then $4k.

I looked at this guys equipment set up http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=864408 and he pretty much inspired me to go through with this. Ands yes i'll probably get an amp now that i've thought about it a bit.

Also, I already have fruity loops with EZdrummer + DFH.

Damn, certainly an awesome way to start.

I'm not a recording gear fiend, can't help there. A lot of people on here are wiz's at it though. They'll tell you what you can get once they see this thread of course.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

do you plan to gig?
or just recording?
can you go used?

and gimme 4 minutes, i have a whole list.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I agree with ZeroCSs choice of guitar, but come on guys, get him a tube amp!!!http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BUG-333XL-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
and maybe someone can reccomend a nice 212? Avatar maybe?

I didn't want him to have to deal with that whole pedal bullsh1t, might as well get him one of the best modeling amps ever to just mess around with effects and what not. Besides, he has some serious money to spend here, he can get an actual Peavey 6505+ or a 5150 II than a Bugera rip-off if he really wanted a good tube amp (They're practically the same, but Peavey's maintenance is just loads better).

EDIT: TS (Thread Starter, just being sure you know I'm talking to you), pay attention to Alf up there. If anyone knows some serious gear to get, it's him.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 30, 2009,
I think you might want to enlighten yourself with more knowledge about guitars and amps before you drop $4000.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
do you plan to gig?
or just recording?

and gimme 4 minutes, i have a whole list.

When or if I ever get good I do plan on gigging. But right now i'd just like to use it to make my own songs/recording onto a PC.
Quote by thrasher.
I think you might want to enlighten yourself with more knowledge about guitars and amps before you drop $4000.

What do you think i'm doing right now?
Quote by ch00ch0096
When or if I ever get good I do plan on gigging. But right now i'd just like to use it to make my own songs/recording onto a PC.

ok.
if you plan recording and gigging in the future go get a:
Line 6 Vetta II and a Line6 FVB.
you have a great recording amp and it also has the power to be used in gigs.

a Fractal Audio Axe FX is also a good replacement if you want to start a rack stetup.

if you want to go tube the Randall RM4+ a USED Power amp(VHT or Mesa) would also be a good replacement. For the MFX Processor a TC Electronics G-major would be great(its on sale at musicians friend for 300 right now).

for guitars:
Look for a USED Ibanez Prestige 7string (or a non Prestige) and if you have more money look at Guerrilla Guitars.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Aug 30, 2009,
Quote by ZeroCS
I didn't want him to have to deal with that whole pedal bullsh1t, might as well get him one of the best modeling amps ever to just mess around with effects and what not. Besides, he has some serious money to spend here, he can get an actual Peavey 6505+ or a 5150 II than a Bugera rip-off if he really wanted a good tube amp (They're practically the same, but Peavey's maintenance is just loads better).

EDIT: TS (Thread Starter, just being sure you know I'm talking to you), pay attention to Alf up there. If anyone knows some serious gear to get, it's him.

quite true - Bugera was simply the first thing that crossed my mind!

how about a rect-o-verb?
Quote by ch00ch0096
What do you think i'm doing right now?

I see you know what kind of style you'll be playing, metal. So that's good. Second, just start looking around for information on certain amps and guitars, what the basic differences are in guitars (woods, pickups, etc.) and in amps (tubes vs. ss). just read around in the Guitar Gear and Accessories threads and try to really get familiar with all the gear. You don't want to be dropping $3000 on a PRS when you don't know what makes it $3000.

For an amp (it's stupid to play electric guitar without an amp), I would look into something like a Dual Rectifier, Marshall JVM, Marshall JCM900 SLX, Peavey 5150 II, Peavey 6505+, Randall RM100 etc. Start by listening to clips of these amps and try and find what sounds the best to your ear. These amps can all be found on the used market for pretty reasonable prices.
I will keep everything you all have to say in mind, and will be book marking this thread. In a month or 2 I will start spending. Too much time sitting around when I could be learning to play.
I say get a modeler, but a cheap one (Vyper 15 or 30). Get a feel for the tone your looking for, then buy the amp/pedals for real.

You'll still have a nice practice amp, or worse case, you didn't dump a ton of dough if you decide it's not your thing.
^ Na. Get something decent you can flip later on. GC has Jackson DK2's for $399.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=520321&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=341943576

They have Floyd Rose type trems, which aren't for beginners, but if you are handy and know how to use the inna-net, they are fine.

For Meshuggah type stuff though, nothing beats a hard-tail.
If your a beginner and don't know anything about guitars, and just want something to play for a little while, it's fine to have. Especially when it's $200, and hell, if you spend $800 on a guitar and amp and end up hating guitar, you probably won't get more then half of that back. Especially Jacksons, they sit on Craigslist. And I think the floyd rose isn't the greatest idea either, it'll probably just frustrate the TS or anything who is just starting.
Quote by thrasher.
If your a beginner and don't know anything about guitars, and just want something to play for a little while, it's fine to have. Especially when it's $200, and hell, if you spend $800 on a guitar and amp and end up hating guitar, you probably won't get more then half of that back. Especially Jacksons, they sit on Craigslist. And I think the floyd rose isn't the greatest idea either, it'll probably just frustrate the TS or anything who is just starting.

You do have a point, but nothing is worse than learning on a crappy guitar.
I pointed out that Jackson because everywhere else have them for $699, but for some reason GC (well the Boston store anyway) has them for $399. So it's reasonable to expect to sell it for something close to that if/when it's time to move on.

Or buy a decent used one, and try to flip it for what you bought it for.

With the TS's budget though, I'd go bigger.
Yeah, I was surprised, and they were practically giving guitars away. But then on some stuff they wouldn't budge a dime.
where's a good place to buy used equipment? I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist but that's a bit iffy.. and I really don't want to go to pawn shops..
Quote by ch00ch0096
where's a good place to buy used equipment? I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist but that's a bit iffy.. and I really don't want to go to pawn shops..

Craigslist isn't iffy at all. You get to play and see the guitar in person.
Quote by thrasher.
Craigslist isn't iffy at all. You get to play and see the guitar in person.

what I meant was they never have anything i'm looking for..
Quote by ch00ch0096
what I meant was they never have anything i'm looking for..

We all go through that really. Best thing to do is expand your range, but you can just monitor CL a lot.

Other than that, not many other sites are out there with the same reliability as CL.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

I don't see why you guys are trying to stray him away from the 7-string. He can def. have a good 7-string for >$1000.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If you're looking for a djent sound, I recommend a 7-string as opposed to a 6-string.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I know, i've decided i'm going to learn on a 6 string first. Everyone i've talked to said that's the best way..

the guy that's selling that schecter said it's got a small crack near the neck but said it was the finish.. $325.. any opinions?
Quote by ch00ch0096
I know, i've decided i'm going to learn on a 6 string first. Everyone i've talked to said that's the best way..

the guy that's selling that schecter said it's got a small crack near the neck but said it was the finish.. $325.. any opinions?

It's definitely suspicious, I wouldn't move on it unless I got a professional opinion, besides, if your budget is $2-3k you can do a lot better. I'd recommend an ESP (or high-end LTD) Eclipse and a blackstar HT-5 if you want a practice amp. Keep the rest and maybe get some pedals when you know what you're doing a bit more.

P.S.- Good luck at learning guitar!

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994
It's definitely suspicious, I wouldn't move on it unless I got a professional opinion, besides, if your budget is $2-3k you can do a lot better. I'd recommend an ESP (or high-end LTD) Eclipse and a blackstar HT-5 if you want a practice amp. Keep the rest and maybe get some pedals when you know what you're doing a bit more.

P.S.- Good luck at learning guitar!

But he might as well pick a good low priced guitar if he is just starting out.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420