Yo dudes, im gonna be getting a new amp soon to complete my rig and Im hoping some of you can give me advice?

Well first off can anyone tell me what advantages a head and cab have over a combo and vice versa?
I know combo is much easier to transfer and (usually?) cheaper, does either one sound better or just louder?

Tonewise I would like to be able to sound good with a modern/hard rock style (ie Shinedown, 10 years, seether, halestorm), punk (matt freeman(rancid), green day, offspring, rise against), and cliffy B, flea, justin chancellor, and ryan martinie.

For price range, i absolutely have to stay below 1000, but would like to save as much money as i can (thinking 600?)
Quote by Tatersalad1080

cant go wrong with this,Ashdowns are grat for the cash.Wish i could afford one like my mate goddamn why did my PC have to pack in last week when i had 300
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
sound like a good amp, some reviews on harmony central were saying that its a bit lacking on the lows, any tried this amp got any knowledge?
some of them were saying to that they added a cab to the ashdown (combo)...is that possible?

How big of a venue do you guys think that amp (300 watts) could pull off, and is it true that you should have 2 or 3 times the guitarist's watts?

I've also been looking at some warwicks and ampegs, but im afraid they might not be versatile enough, anyway tried any of theirs?
Quote by ExurKun

some of them were saying to that they added a cab to the ashdown (combo)...is that possible?

How big of a venue do you guys think that amp (300 watts) could pull off, and is it true that you should have 2 or 3 times the guitarist's watts?

I've also been looking at some warwicks and ampegs, but im afraid they might not be versatile enough, anyway tried any of theirs?

You need another cab to get the full 307 watts. It depends on how much head room you want. I've played some jazz gigs with a 16w, but I had every knob, on both bass and amp, at 10.

I've heard that Ampeg does Ampeg really well, but it lacks a bit if you want a clearer tone. I've heard some good about wicky amps, but that's only form a few people.
I've played my hardcore shows with a 150w Keyboard through a 1x15.
It was in a smaller venue, with about 90-100 in there.

300w can pull of alot.
Don't forget that Ashdown Mag C410 is 300w at 4 ohm!
So you need an additional 8ohm cabinet to get 300 watt.
It's like 180w through internal speakers.

I can't comment on Ashdown's tone. Never used then, but scores fairly well.
Ashdowns are probably right up your alley for that rockish tone, they're pretty wooly for my tastes and sound a little unclear - the perfect rock sound . As for Ampegs they're also good for that rock sound (in my opinion they're basically good for nothing, but some say they have a good rock tone) but you'll definitely have to pay more for it with Ampeg than Ashdown. The BA115/210 is no good.

Addressing the combo vs. separate rig issue, I personally like the versatility provided by the separate head and cab. Also, typically in a separate cab the dimensions can be better tailored to the speaker specifics than with the limitations with the combo. I also find a separate rig easier to transport because they tend to be a little less unwieldy.
Quote by gwath42
I
300w can pull of alot.
Don't forget that Ashdown Mag C410 is 300w at 4 ohm!
So you need an additional 8ohm cabinet to get 300 watt.
It's like 180w through internal speakers.

I can't comment on Ashdown's tone. Never used then, but scores fairly well.

Can you please explain this? I don't know a lot about amps, but i thought combos meant the head and cab were permanently attached?
^in many cases they are, but the head will have an output that you can use to attach an extension cab
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Combos are permanently attached, but that particular combo has a 307 watts @ 4 ohms head and an 8 ohm cabinet. That means that the cabinet is only receiving about 185 watts. The Ashdown gives you the ability (via a speaker out jack on the back) to add another 8 ohm cabinet giving you 4 ohms total and the full 307 watts.
ok ive read up on amps i see what your saying...so to get full 300w i would have to pay for another cab?
hmmm is it just me or would 900 be a lot for 300 watts?
would this combo/ maybe another cab be good for me unless i got a record deal/was actually playing legit shows? would i be better off with a head and cab that i could upgrade later?
This is a pretty standard stepping stone from beginner to an amp with more. $900 for 300 watts isn't really that unreasonable. I just spent $1200 USD (~$1500 CAD) for 300 watts, so watts aren't necessarily a good determiner of price point. I say start off with the MAG combo or preferably the separate MAG head and cab (I recommend starting with a 15" as a standalone, especially in this situation where you may not immediately get another cabinet). That way, you can upgrade the head and cab at separate times and slowly morph your rig from that intermediate level to a more advanced level. 185 watts is going to do you in fairly good stead for a jamming situation and it'll be okay for gigging. Then if you ever feel you need more you can add on that cab. So right now I think the Ashdown is the perfect amp for you, at you price point and where you are with your playing/gigging/practising situation.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Sep 2, 2009,
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
This is a pretty standard stepping stone from beginner to an amp with more. $900 for 300 watts isn't really that unreasonable. I just spent $1200 USD (~$1500 CAD) for 300 watts, so watts aren't necessarily a good determiner of price point. I say start off with the MAG combo or preferably the separate MAG head and cab (I recommend starting with a 15" as a standalone, especially in this situation where you may not immediately get another cabinet). That way, you can upgrade the head and cab at separate times and slowly morph your rig from that intermediate level to a more advanced level. 185 watts is going to do you in fairly good stead for a jamming situation and it'll be okay for gigging. Then if you ever feel you need more you can add on that cab. So right now I think the Ashdown is the perfect amp for you, at you price point and where you are with your playing/gigging/practising situation.

Good points, my biggest worries are that it might be too heavy for band practice, and that 300 watts might not be enough for a loooong time.

Quote by Canadian_basser
where's Rochester? I swear this is related :P

Just south of "near toronto" lol...northeastern NY between buffalo and syracuse

Quote by lordofthefood1

If i win the lottery...you can have it
Quote by ExurKun
Just south of "near toronto" lol...northeastern NY between buffalo and syracuse

Well, Epy had a mag 300 head and the 410 cab for $500CAD, so I was wondering if you were close enough for it to be worth picking up. You can try him, he may not have sold it. Although, I haen't seen it relisted, but it might be worth a try
rochester is about 3 hours outa canada, and remember your passport! haha..

anyways, about the wattage and money thing. deffinetly spend about a K for 300 watts or so. would sound beastly, youll be surprised how loud 300 watts is.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Do you mean heavy as in too loud, or too mass-like?
For the weight thing, it's not as big of a deal as you might think. Sure Ashdowns are heavy, (any cabinet that hasn't embraced the use of neodymium speaker magnets is going to be heavy) but it's not like you'd be able to walk with it or bike with it if it was lighter. It's cumbersome, any larger amp you get will be that, and enough so that it requires a car to move. In which case it's just loading and unloading, which, once you get the hang of, it's not a huge problem. As long as it has decent handles on the side you're pretty much golden.
As for the volume thing, turning the volume knob down has always served me well .

And 300 watts is quite a bit. That's kind of the point where you don't need anything else. 300 watts will carry you through any band situation and most gigging situations. It's only for the want of more head room that really requires more watts.
Quote by Canadian_basser
Well, Epy had a mag 300 head and the 410 cab for $500CAD, so I was wondering if you were close enough for it to be worth picking up. You can try him, he may not have sold it. Although, I haen't seen it relisted, but it might be worth a try

hmmm who?

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Do you mean heavy as in too loud, or too mass-like?
For the weight thing, it's not as big of a deal as you might think. Sure Ashdowns are heavy, (any cabinet that hasn't embraced the use of neodymium speaker magnets is going to be heavy) but it's not like you'd be able to walk with it or bike with it if it was lighter. It's cumbersome, any larger amp you get will be that, and enough so that it requires a car to move. In which case it's just loading and unloading, which, once you get the hang of, it's not a huge problem. As long as it has decent handles on the side you're pretty much golden.
As for the volume thing, turning the volume knob down has always served me well .

And 300 watts is quite a bit. That's kind of the point where you don't need anything else. 300 watts will carry you through any band situation and most gigging situations. It's only for the want of more head room that really requires more watts.

Tis some good points sir, i was worried about the weight (most jamming is with my mate 4 houses down) but i wouldnt really want to carry it even if it was 50 pounds lol
Quote by Canadian_basser
Epy

k ill PM him

Can anyone give me a basic idea of what i can expect for the following brands as far as tone, frequency range, loudness, and cost effective (i.e. bargain or highquality but expensive)?

Ampeg
Ashdown
Carvin
Gallien Krueger
Markbass
Mesa/boogie
Orange
Peavey
Fender
Trace-elliot
Warwick
Ampegs aren't worth their price tag anymore...all made overseas and lose value quickly.

Ashdowns have a beefier low end, but sacrifice the top end (the real top end, like clack stuff)
-think of ashdowns as playing through speakers behind a drum sheild. Lot's of boom.

Carvin has great quality, but being made in USA...the price is a little daunting to those used to their Korea/China-born amps. As far as sound quality, crystal and loud. No sacrifice here.

Gallien Krueger always has a great sound, and is a workhorse in any bassist's mind. They last a long time and hardly wear out. Only beef- Do NOT get the backline. Pay the extra and get the true GK stuff. And, stay a bit away from the Goldline series from GC.

Markbass- Amazing...Clear, punchy, full, and rich....Lightweight, and powerful. Price- Left nut and both arms.

Mesa- PRICE!!!! It's way too expensive...but, they do offer some of the most simple "plug in and play" amps and heads ever. Very rich sounding...and very versatile. (Yes, I own one, I bought it used for $600.)

Orange- never tried...

Peavey- Reliable,Reliable, and Reliable...
"Before God created the world, there was Peavey...After God destroys the world, there will be Peavey"

Fender- Think of how signature a Fender bass sounds...done. Convert to amp. Done.
A little quiet IMO.

Trace-elliot- If you can find one, own it. Deal.

Warwick- I had the 5.2 500w head through a Peavey 4x10...Like Fender amps, it takes on the sound of a Warwick bass...but not that good. Can leave a passive bass sounding tinny, and it really forces lows, instead of letting them breathe through the cab like Trace or Ashdown.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
Ampegs aren't worth their price tag anymore...all made overseas and lose value quickly.

Ashdowns have a beefier low end, but sacrifice the top end (the real top end, like clack stuff)
-think of ashdowns as playing through speakers behind a drum sheild. Lot's of boom.

Carvin has great quality, but being made in USA...the price is a little daunting to those used to their Korea/China-born amps. As far as sound quality, crystal and loud. No sacrifice here.

Gallien Krueger always has a great sound, and is a workhorse in any bassist's mind. They last a long time and hardly wear out. Only beef- Do NOT get the backline. Pay the extra and get the true GK stuff. And, stay a bit away from the Goldline series from GC.

Markbass- Amazing...Clear, punchy, full, and rich....Lightweight, and powerful. Price- Left nut and both arms.

Mesa- PRICE!!!! It's way too expensive...but, they do offer some of the most simple "plug in and play" amps and heads ever. Very rich sounding...and very versatile. (Yes, I own one, I bought it used for $600.)

Orange- never tried...

Peavey- Reliable,Reliable, and Reliable...
"Before God created the world, there was Peavey...After God destroys the world, there will be Peavey"

Fender- Think of how signature a Fender bass sounds...done. Convert to amp. Done.
A little quiet IMO.

Trace-elliot- If you can find one, own it. Deal.

Warwick- I had the 5.2 500w head through a Peavey 4x10...Like Fender amps, it takes on the sound of a Warwick bass...but not that good. Can leave a passive bass sounding tinny, and it really forces lows, instead of letting them breathe through the cab like Trace or Ashdown.

thanks a bunch bud!