I've been playing guitar for about 9 months or so.
That year is coming up.
What are some songs i should know how to play by now or by that 1st year.
I play rock, metal, classic rock, some metalcore, punk and some alternative.
are you just playing guitar so you can be like other people who play?? play whatever you want to play, and don't waste your time learning stuff you're "supposed to know"
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Honestly, there really are no songs you "should" be playing in a year of learning the guitar. It all depends on how much you practice, and what you practice that makes up how skilled of a player you are. I've heard of people being able to play master of puppets in a short amount of time of playing similar to you, and others could barely play a Green Day song. So it's really up to you on what you play. See what your limits are, and work on your weak areas. If you're watching tv or something, grab your guitar and practice alternate picking your scales and modes.
Well if you say you play rock, metal, classic rock, some metalcore, punk and some alternative, then by your 1st year you should maybe know some songs from the following genres: rock, metal, classic rock, some metalcore, punk and some alternative.
Thanks you guys. And no i dont play for others. quite the opposite since my school is filled with people who listen to nothing but hip hop.
either that or the jonas bros or some other soft music im not into.

i just wanted to see if i have fallen behind or im right on track or w/e.
kevin, thanks for the assistance.
and sin, thanks for the comedic relief. lol
If you ever want to play in a band that will do some covers its always good to learn some classics of the genre's you like, the ones I first learned were Sweet Child O' Mine, Europa, Pride and Joy, among others. Just take what you listen to every day and pick songs that are at your level or perhaps a bit higher than your level.