I've noticed that around UG everybody seems to dislike behringer amps, I hadn't played through one until yesterday (my friends brother has the 90 watt ultrabass) so i couldn't comment. But now i have played (through) one I think that, for the price behringers are good amps...

please feel free to insult my opinion and carefully explain why behringers are bad amps

PS i was playing an Ibanez Soundgear
if you get one, i hope it doesnt burn your house down. i have seen a lot of complaints about the fact that the wires inside the amps are exposed. seems faulty to me.
try and play it in 3 months, you wont be able to because it'll be broken.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22

Mine still plays 4 years after I bought it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by TrabenBassist22

sounds like an Ampeg
Quote by Montezuma911
I've noticed that around UG everybody seems to dislike behringer amps.

Because it's behringer. The first time I bought a behringer product was the last time. I had WAY too much trouble with it than it was worth.
Quote by consecutive e

Mine too. Its not my primary amp, but I still like its sound.
The guy who owns the amp has had for over a year and it's still working.
although i did have to throw up when i turned on the distortion, but what can you expect from inbuilt distortion in a cheap amp?
btw, do you guys only hate them because of thier build quality and such or because of thier sound?
Quote by consecutive e

Mine too, I personally think they can be hit and miss; I've played through some that were absolute crap, but mine has held up quite well all the years I've had it and it serves quite well as a practice amp.
They also advertise their amps' wattage by peak wattage rather than RMS (which is the norm), which lets them label their amps as a much higher wattage than other companies while not really making it obvious enough that they are doing so

and that kind of company just doesn't roll with me
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
ive never played on a behringer but everyone ive talked 2 says their good . i play fender amps. my gear-fender squier p-bass and a rumble 15 b/a
mine sounded terrible, distorted terribly when I played too hard, was always muddy, looked alright.

it didn't even have a volume knob.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
what other cheap bass amps would you guys suggest?

i don't really have a price range as such because i'm not going to be buying soon but <600 AUD would be good... is that doable?
Peavey, Ashdown.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've never played their low end stuff, but I have seen a few practice amps "for sale" and were probably broken.

However with my old band, I used a friend's Behringer 450watt head and Behringer 8x10, and I must say it was all around better than my friend's Ampeg BA115HP 220 watt. We played tons of shows and the Behringer setup never failed. The 810 fridge got pretty roughed up in the back of pickups loading and unloading, even dropped, but not very far. Never had a problem with it, and my friend sold his ampeg to get a better head for his Behringer 810 cab. While the Behringer head didn't seem like 450 watts, it still CRANKED along with 2 marshall half stacks.
Quote by Montezuma911
what is RMS?
excusemy lack of knowledge, i'm (fairly) new to this

RMS wattage is the average wattage an amplifier can put out over time. In other words this is what you're really gonna get.

Peak wattage(which is what behringer lists) is the max wattage an amplifier can put out...EVER...that includes clipping the hell out of it and utter horrible sounds and possibly blowing the speaker in the process. clipping on solid state causes square waves and square waves destroy speakers fast.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Montezuma911
I've noticed that around UG everybody seems to dislike behringer amps, I hadn't played through one until yesterday (my friends brother has the 90 watt ultrabass) so i couldn't comment. But now i have played (through) one I think that, for the price behringers are good amps...

please feel free to insult my opinion and carefully explain why behringers are bad amps

PS i was playing an Ibanez Soundgear

Just the fact that they're really half the wattage they advertise is enough to make me avoid them...the terrible reverse-engineering, quality control, and customer service sure don't help though.

Basically, they make money by stealing someone else's design, building it with cheaper(read: inferior) parts, and using deceptive marketing techniques to make it more appealing. They care about money, not their customers.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 31, 2009,
Amps and speakers are measured in RMS because the output from an amp goes up and down either side of zero in time with the vibration of your strings. RMS is the result of a mathematical trick to calculate the average power produced over time. The M stands for mean.

It is better than this though because in Europe/USA and most other places there are laws which describe exactly how you can advertise RMS power and amps and speakers have to be "soak tested "over a period of hours in test conditions at full power. Advertising a false RMS value is illegal.

There is no definition of peak power so manufacturers can advertise what they want, Behringer use a figure of roughly twice the RMS power. There is a good article in Wikipedia on electrical power.

The other problem is that they are built to be as cheap as possible so they use poor components and do not carry out proper quality control. This means that you may get a good one or you might get a pup. Only buy a Behringer from someone who will exchange it if it breaks.

For what it is worth I have a 1600W Behringer PA amp which actually only gives 200W per channel into 8ohms but which is completely reliable and sound OK.
i avoid them like the plague after my first guitar amp bein a behringer it was just blaargh it actually put me of learning electric guitar till bout a year ago.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
My church had a Behringer "300 watt" amp and a Behringer direct box. The amp blew its speaker when I had the volume around 4, so I had to go direct in. After using it twice, the direct box stopped working. I opened up to find what? Smoke. I'm assuming it failed miserably. We now use a Fender BXR 100 and ProCo direct boxes.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I would look into Peavey and Ashdown as suggested, or look into the used market. Personally I'd avoid low end Ampegs and GKs as well.

The other issue with Behringer is the repair / warranty claims. Getting a Behringer amp fixed under warranty can be a act of futility. One of my locals refuses to sell them anymore due to the hassle of returning the equipment for repairs.
I like my behringer. It's a good amp for practice. Nothing wrong with it. Had it for years and it holds up just fine.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
I use a 2x10 Behring combo in practice and it's fine.
About 2 years old.
I even play shows with it.
Quote by Montezuma911
what is RMS?
excusemy lack of knowledge, i'm (fairly) new to this

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND
Quote by Starkie
if you get one, i hope it doesnt burn your house down. i have seen a lot of complaints about the fact that the wires inside the amps are exposed. seems faulty to me.

If a Rogue bass makes great firewood, use a Behringer to light it.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1

Quote by cal1

Sigged.
Sorry man, but That. Was. Epic.
A bit off tpoic, but I have 4 of their pedals: Delay - Tremelo- Vibrato - Compressor.

The house has not burned to the ground yet.
B_A
Quote by Montezuma911
what other cheap bass amps would you guys suggest?

i don't really have a price range as such because i'm not going to be buying soon but <600 AUD would be good... is that doable?

How many watts are you looking to get??
---------------------------------
Acoustic, orange, and Ashdown seem pretty popular around here. I have no experience with any of them though.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by been_awhile
A bit off tpoic, but I have 4 of their pedals: Delay - Tremelo- Vibrato - Compressor.

The house has not burned to the ground yet.

I'm pretty sure a circuit board poses less of a fire hazard than an amplifier with exposed wires and cheap electronics.

TS, I also support the Acoustic suggestion. Apparently the new ones aren't as good as the older ones but I think they're pretty damn good for the money and definitely better than some cheaper amps out there. I currently have a Fender Rumble 15 and it's so sterile and lifeless it pisses me off to no end. I'm upgrading to an Acoustic B100 on Tuesday.
i had the behringer Bx300 and it worked pretty good for a year it was only 30 watts and i could jam with the little combo the volume knob went up to 12 hahahaha that always gave me a kick

but one day after about a yeaer i turned the switch on and a little poof of smoke came out from above the switch and it never turned on again

upon further inspection the transformer output was fried

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I'll add one last complaint about behringer bass amps after the misadvertised wattage and the poor customer service: the bx series (at least the 450 that I had) has a pretty extensive eq section, but each of the eq knobs is set at a pretty pointless and unusable frequency.

I could get good sounds out of that amp, but tweaking it was a total pain. You had to work super hard to get half decent tone out of it.

I completely second Anarkee's suggestion to look at peavey --I don't have enough experience with ashdown to comment--rather than low end ampeg or GK. Both are reputable companies because of their higher-end gear, the low end stuff (actually I don't personally like the tone on even some nicer hybrid ampegs--svt 3 and 4) is really over rated both in terms of power and tone. The lower end GK is every bit as bad as behringer.

And to comment on Been_awhile's post--I'll say that I've owned tons of behringer effects--they sound every bit as good as most affordable pedal companies: boss, digitech, cheaper ehx, but they do have a tendency towards dying power inputs (both battery clip and 9v plugs) and broken jacks. I've had to do quite a bit of repair work to mine over the years. Still, I agree that they're decent sounding stuff for cheap. I even ordered a new behringer delay pedal the other day to see how it plays with my boss dd6.

The company has good and bad stuff. I steered clear of their bass amps after a single puchase, appreciated their cheap signal processors in my early studio work, and still use their cheap effects to this day.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Sep 8, 2009,
Back in the day, I bought my Fender Rumble 60, and my buddy tried to one-up me by buying a Behringer. Short story, my amp survived the first year, his didn't. The Behringer literally fell apart, and then when we tried to revive it, through a combination of pure idiocy and faulty wiring, it caught fire. Please, for your own safety, do what the humanity says and get a peavey or an ashdown
For the price, they're fine I guess.

For the 'wattage' they're rated for they're absolutely horrible.

For build/part quality, they're horrible.

For the fact that you'll definitely need to replace it eventually for aforementioned reasons, they're horrible.

That seems to sum up everything on this page I think.