I'm juggling two options and some really rudimentary questions.

Analog
Amp: ENGL Savage 120 or Invader 100 and one of their cabs and footswitch
Effects Loop: Line 6 M13 Multi-Effects with two expression pedals
Front Effects Chain: Line 6 DM4 Distortion, Wah, Digitech Whammy

OR

Digital
Amp: Fractal Audio AxeFX or PC with Keyboard Amplifier or equivalent and footswitch

Thing is, I'm pretty damn sure ENGL is the tone I want. I don't need all the amp/cab models the AxeFX has got. I don't need the unit's complexity. This is a long-term investment, so price isn't that much of an issue. What is an issue, however, is the repercussions the analog route might have on live performance.

Essentially, I'd have to worry about three footswitches. I'd have to change the M13 scene (Line 6's term for a preset on the M13), the DM4 distortion pedal, and the ENGL channel footswitch. Exactly how much do the ENGL midi interfaces control? They could turn on/off an effects loop, correct? Which of the numerous ENGL footswitches would I use, and how would I change through the presets... up/down? Wouldn't this be a pain in the ass if you're playing with different setlists each night?
First of all:

What effects do you need?
What kinds of overdrive do you need?
What do you use as a boost for solos?
Effects
On OD maybe a flanger... solos delay. Cleans will bring all kinds of delays and modulations into the mix. In all situations slight-large amounts of reverb.

Overdrive
When I think about it, just the standard screamer, something to give some industrial bite and edge to the sound. I'm getting the DM4 primarily for experimental purposes, but if the quality ain't bad, I'm keeping it.

Boost
Didn't really think about that yet.
A rack tray controlled by a Voodoo Lab GCX
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I might as well get the AxeFX, lol, if I have to deal with that kind of complexity.

So hypothetically with the GCX or Ground Control I could choose ENGL preset 12, M13 scene 4, turn off DM4, change whammy mode to detune mode... all with the hit of a switch? Could I connect it to the computer to change around preset ordering?
Quote by G.9
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I might as well get the AxeFX, lol, if I have to deal with that kind of complexity.

So hypothetically with the GCX or Ground Control I could choose ENGL preset 12, M13 scene 4, turn off DM4, change whammy mode to detune mode... all with the hit of a switch? Could I connect it to the computer to change around preset ordering?

Hey man,

You would need both the GCX and ground control (or another midi controller with presets and banks but the GCP works best with the GCX in my experience. And yes, with all of that, you could change all of that with the hit of a single button....this is what I am planning for this year.

It's actually all set up right on the foot controller, so its just a matter of going through and telling what you want for each preset.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Hey man,

You would need both the GCX and ground control (or another midi controller with presets and banks but the GCP works best with the GCX in my experience. And yes, with all of that, you could change all of that with the hit of a single button....this is what I am planning for this year.

It's actually all set up right on the foot controller, so its just a matter of going through and telling what you want for each preset.

That's cool... is there any way to connect it to the computer to rearrange the order of presets, or is it easy enough to do on the hardware itself?
its just midi, easy enough to change once you learn how to use it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I really don't know what would suit you because I enjoy pedal tap dancing. However with the engl option - put the whammy before the distortion.
***Short Sig***
Quote by The_Bosstone
Why exactly would you want to go with the Line 6 over individual pedals?

Are you talking the M13 or the DM4? If you're talking M13, it's just got so many sounds in one box. DM4... if enough people here say it sucks, I'll just get another distortion pedal. I only really need a screamer.
Well, I'm saying that a TS9, DL-4, and a T.C Electronics Nova Modulator would probably do everything you need and it would be much simpler.

Plus a wah, whammy, and whatever else you would want.