This won't happen in a while but I would like to someday get a sustainer installed on my Schecter C-1 bloodmoon. I know, with a mahogany body, fixed bridge and set neck, I should have plenty, but I want more. The problem is, I don't want to give up my neck pickup space. Are there any sustainers that don't require a free pickup slot, or is there a way to install a Fernandes or Sustainianc in a way that won't take my neck pickup away. I know it's a noob question but I have to ask.
thats how sustainers work, it wouldnt work anywhere else. you could get an ebow, which is essentially the same thing in 'pick' form.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
thats how sustainers work, it wouldnt work anywhere else. you could get an ebow, which is essentially the same thing in 'pick' form.

I know, but I thought that there might be a device out there where the actual sustaining device was placed somewhere else, like maybe between the two pickups. If I can't use the sustainer with my neck pickup, then I might as well not get one, as it is the neck pickup's warm, fat sound that I would like to sustain forever. I will check out the E-Bow however.
i think boss makes a sustainer/ compressor pedal
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by Pac_man0123
It has to be in the neck position because otherwise the magnetic fields clash and it doesn't work properly.

I guess it's the E-bow then.

EDIT: One more thing. One day when I was playing I managed to make a note sustain forever. My amp wasn't even that loud. I could never do it again. Has this happened to anyone else?
Last edited by In The Mist at Aug 30, 2009,
Sustainers only add sustain? I thought all they did was to make sustain infinite, not just increase it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Sustainers only add sustain? I thought all they did was to make sustain infinite, not just increase it.

That's why I want one. As stated in my first post my guitar already has a lot of sustain, but it's not infinite. The only other way to get infinite sustain is to crank your amp to obscene levels, but that's out of the question seeing as my amp is a spider 3. Even if I get a good amp I still wouldn't be able to crank it that loud unless I go live out in a secluded area.
some new epi LPs have a sustainer at the bottom of the fretboard, like in the fretboard itself. i cbf to find a picture tho.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
some new epi LPs have a sustainer at the bottom of the fretboard, like in the fretboard itself. i cbf to find a picture tho.
Are you confusing that with the active pickup embedded the fretboard of the Epi LP Ultra II?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Think it could work...
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Think it could work...
you think what could work?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I dabble with sustainers in my spare time - not for any commercial gain - just have an unhealthy fascination with them (wind 'em, design accompanying circuits etc - here's a thread I recently started https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172354&highlight=sustainers ).

If you don't want to give up your neck pickup, one option would be to construct a sustainer that sits over the strings across your neck pickup (kind of like a 'bridge' over the strings). all it would then need is clever switching arrangements to ensure the sustainer is not active when the middle/neck pickup is selected (ie only sustain when the bridge pickup is selected).

One of my 'things to do' is a surface mount sustainer (no routing needed) that would sit adjacent to your neck pickup & once again would only be 'active' when the bridge pickup is selected.

There is a commercial solution that has just been released that afixes to a mic stand (I can't remember what it's called...when you want sustain you just move your guitar adjacent to it. It looked like a good option in the promo video.

in my opinion, an ebow is not a good alternative if you want a sustainer...for a start, it takes up your plucking hand, but also coaxes out too many odd harmonics from the string, which while effective, quickly swamps the fundamental note you're trying to sustain.
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Are you confusing that with the active pickup embedded the fretboard of the Epi LP Ultra II?

Now that I think about it, probably.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I believe that the "humbucker" sustainer by Fernandes is doubled with a pickup? Not sure on the exact one, but I do know you can get sustainers which also have a pickup next to 'em.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
you think what could work?

putting a sustainer where the pickup is on the epi.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I believe that the "humbucker" sustainer by Fernandes is doubled with a pickup? Not sure on the exact one, but I do know you can get sustainers which also have a pickup next to 'em.

Yes, they make them with a pickup next to the sustainer, but most guitarists I know don't want to have a pickup imposed on them...they want to choose their own....this is why I'm toying with the idea of making a sustainer that allows the guitarist to keep his own pickups of choice.
Quote by HankMcSpank
Yes, they make them with a pickup next to the sustainer, but most guitarists I know don't want to have a pickup imposed on them...they want to choose their own....this is why I'm toying with the idea of making a sustainer that allows the guitarist to keep his own pickups of choice.

Yeah. That's why I don't use a sustainer. I would but the fact that you can't choose the pickup is the deal breaker. I think they should make like a rail single coil next to the sustainer part of the coil or something.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack