Page 1 of 2
First of all, sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, im usre there is a singing topic somewhere but I don't know where.

I'm just wondering, is singing pure talent, or can you practice it like guitar? I really would like to be able to sing along with my playing, nothing serious, just for fun or when playing with friends.

Is it something that you are born with and then you can get vocal training to learn to sing in key and stuff, or can any with a normal voice (Like me) learn to sing decently?
Both.

RiEdit:
Is it something that you are born with and then you can get vocal training to learn to sing in key and stuff, or can any with a normal voice (Like me) learn to sing decently?

you can get voice training and depending on the adequacy of the teacher, it could help a lot. you can also learn to sing on your own. but a voice teacher can help you with breathing and singing from your diaphragm, increasing your range, tonal problems, and usually you can get a fair amount of theory and sight-reading out of it.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Last edited by Mr. Rittard at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Both.

that
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Both
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
some are born with it, others take lessons if they have the drive to become one, and those who think they can...well, i think everybody can come up with some witty thing to that last one...

that means major flamin should occur...
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
Yeah, you can learn to sing well, but some peoples voices just aren't pleasant.
othb
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I think it was proven that 82% of people are born with the talent to sing. You just have to practice in order to become good. So both.
Quote by handbanana78
I always wonder that, i would like to sing for fun

then do it....

ANYBODY CAN SING, just some people cant sing well, for various reasons. some people are naturally good singers. some people (like me) can hold a note but do not have a pleasant voice. some people have no range. BUT ANYBODY can sing!

its just like talking except you move your voice up and down! IM SINGING!!!!! IM IN A STORE AND IM SINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Both, I'd say 40% natural, 60% training.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
The only difference is that some people born with it seem to have more emotion. They don't, but they don't really think about what they're doing, they just belt out the words so they can put more emotion into it. Practice makes perfect though.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Both, but I'll be different by actually explaining what I mean.

Some people are born with a really good natural talent for singing. Other people have to practice to reach the same level, but they can and do.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by keithmoon15
its just like talking except you move your voice up and down! IM SINGING!!!!! IM IN A STORE AND IM SINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In text, it looks more like you're yelling.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Defenetly need to practice your instrument. Some people tend to find it easier to develope their voces, but still needs to practice it. But when you practice, you need to make sure you practice using the proper technique to make it easier on your voice.
So would 10-15 minutes a day of singing along with song I know how to play on guitar improve my voice?
Quote by keithmoon15
then do it....

ANYBODY CAN SING, just some people cant sing well, for various reasons. some people are naturally good singers. some people (like me) can hold a note but do not have a pleasant voice. some people have no range. BUT ANYBODY can sing!

Such a cottonheadedninnymuggins
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by GoldfishMoon
So would 10-15 minutes a day of singing along with song I know how to play on guitar improve my voice?

depends on your vocal technique and such.

Flam·boy·ant

Both.

But if if you can 'naturally' sing, you still won't be good if you don't practice. You have still have to know how you voice works.

I don't think I'm that good, but I'm sure as hell ALOT better of a singer than I was 2 years ago.

I really hate when some people say "Oh, I don't have any natural talent, I'll never be able to do it", you gotta suck it up. Who cares if you do or not, if you want it badly enough you'll get it, you just gotta keep reaching for it.

Hard work seperates the goods, from the greats, from the awesomes.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Dregen

I really hate when some people say "Oh, I don't have any natural talent, I'll never be able to do it", you gotta suck it up. Who cares if you do or not, if you want it badly enough you'll get it, you just gotta keep reaching for it.

+1,000,000

Flam·boy·ant

Listen to early Meat Puppets, then later Meat Puppets. You discover that at one point, Curt couldn't sing at all. Later on he could sing well.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
+1,000,000

+1,000,001
(....mine is higher....)

seriously though, that is very true.

a lot of people might be surprised at how well they can sing if they are really trying, too. and even if you can't sing well, think about all the not good singers who have made it as famous, recognizable singers (kurt cobain, billy corgan, anthony kiedis, daron malakian, etc.)
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
In order to be a good singer, you have to have a naturally good voice.

But people with just average voices can become decent singers with lots of work and practice.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Both. Also, I find that people born as natural tenors seem to make the best singers - it's just a very ear-pleasing, emotionally-capable range.

What pisses me off is that until my voice changed I had an awesome singing voice with a seemingly limitless range. Now I'm just... okay, and I have to work very hard just to be able to say that. So I'm an example of someone who was born with talent that was stolen by puberty. Now I have a deep chest voice, an airy mixed voice, and a REALLY unnatural-sounding head voice/falsetto. The best I can do now is sing something like Matthew Santos' "Daughter of the Sun" with a little difficulty, and I'm just not happy being so limited. I wish I could sing something like Jeff Buckley's "Grace" or City & Colour's "Sleeping Sickness". I really need a teacher.

/rant
You should NEVER EVER compare yourself with Jeff. That guy was a freak. He taught himself how to do that. And he was a smoker.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
First of all, sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, im usre there is a singing topic somewhere but I don't know where.

I'm just wondering, is singing pure talent, or can you practice it like guitar? I really would like to be able to sing along with my playing, nothing serious, just for fun or when playing with friends.

its all practice. talent is just doing something well. some things like having a good ear are natural and can make it seem like people are naturals at singing. i was always pretty decent at singing a pitch on key. but i didnt really take singing seriously till a few years ago. and when i listen to me now and to me back then its a huge difference. all it took was some practice. singing i find is like 90% mental. its all in your head. if you are too shy about it, then you are going to sound weak, and probably flat. but if you have confidence in your singing, you are going to sound strong and full and are more likely to sing on key.

but not always. ive heard people who have the mental part down but forgot about the actual talent. you still need practice. a good teacher can help a lot. i never had a teacher because i dont really want to be an amazing singer. ive done pretty well on my own though.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
its all practice. talent is just doing something well. some things like having a good ear are natural and can make it seem like people are naturals at singing. i was always pretty decent at singing a pitch on key. but i didnt really take singing seriously till a few years ago. and when i listen to me now and to me back then its a huge difference. all it took was some practice. singing i find is like 90% mental. its all in your head. if you are too shy about it, then you are going to sound weak, and probably flat. but if you have confidence in your singing, you are going to sound strong and full and are more likely to sing on key.

but not always. ive heard people who have the mental part down but forgot about the actual talent. you still need practice. a good teacher can help a lot. i never had a teacher because i dont really want to be an amazing singer. ive done pretty well on my own though.

How do you teach yourself how to sing?
Most people can sing well enough to be in a band with training. It's rare to find someone with a voice that just plain sounds bad. Bad singing usually only sounds bad if the person can't hit the right notes.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Coming from someone who, probably a mere year and a half ago, couldn't sing in pitch to save his life, I honestly think it's practice.

I sung probably a couple of hours a day (no rigorous training... just playing guitar and singing/singing along to songs on my ipod/stereo/pc) and recorded myself a LOT - making note of what sounded bad, learning to hear myself properly and consciously recognize mistakes and amend them.

Since then I've performed numerous times for friends and family, and just recently at a music recital at school, where I sung and played The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice, and my school's vocal teacher came up to me after the recital and told me I have one of the best voices he's ever heard (IMO an obvious exaggeration, but anyway) - just goes to show that as someone else mentioned in this thread, if you want something badly enough you'll get it.

I started singing when I got kicked out of my band and realized that I never wanted to have to rely on anyone again (when it came to music). Now I can play guitar and perform covers/my own stuff confidently.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Has anyone here got a really horrible voice, just when they're talking, and turned out to be an amazing singer? Because I'm considering singing but y'know, my voice is kinda putting me off.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Page 1 of 2