Hello UG,
I was speaking to a guitar playing friend of mine and we were talking about how we liked to practice and the subject inevitably turned to the different strategies we used to building up our speed, be it running scales, to play a song in the speed its supposed to go or when writing our material and wanting to make it go faster. I, being a traditional guy, told him I like taking (say for example) a lick, I would learn it slowly and gradually speed it up using a metronome as guidance.

As I said this my friend chuckled and told me he used to do that, but he would sometimes loose track of his timing even with the beeps the metronome makes, so he installed Guitar Pro (I guess any other software works too) and started writing the licks he wanted to play in the program, and then proceeded to practice it faster and faster using the program's play along feature.

At the time I thought this wasnt the greatest idea, I mean it helps you play faster in the same way a metronome does, sure, but I think that the play along feature didnt help him with his own timing the way a metronome does, instead it helps him repeat something.
I was wondering if any other person also uses this approach to practice and if my opinion that a metronome is superior to computer software is right because I believe it not only helps you train speed but also work timing, or do both methods end up acomplishing this?
Both are good, but I would choose the metronome over the software
Guitar Pro has a built in metronome, so as long as it's enabled(and why wouldn't it?) I would assume it's about as good, if not a little more complicated than a traditional metronome.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Yeah a metronome helps a lot more because you still rely on your own counting a lot but GP is a great program. Mostly for hearing fast solos slowly. This just helps break it down into smaller parts
I'm with your friend. Being a 100% self taught guitarist, I developed my own methods of excercising for speedy licks and riffs. Tabbing my riffs in powertab and playing along with them (they also have metronomes).. Honestly, to me it's always felt like a more full range style of practice. Now here I am, playing 200+ 16ths easily and that's always the way I've done it. That's just my story though. Everyone has their own way of doing things. And different things will work differently for other people. So I say choose what you're most comfortable with.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
Also, Powertab and guitar pro not only help you work on your guitar playing in general, but also help you learn theory as you go. And you will also learn correct terms for certain techniques and musical notation.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."