can anybody help explain what the difference between EB musicman stingrays and EB musicman sterlings are and how they compare tonally?

and also how close is the tone of the musicman stingray5 to that of the stringray4?

any help wouldbe great, im lookin for a new bass and im just tryin to get different opinions between the musicman basses
The 5 and 4 should be pretty much the same, only difference might be the resonance through the B string but that's too subtle to notice.
sterlings have more punch, stingray has more growl- in a nutshell. but they are very similar.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Are you talking about the actual sterling or the "sterling by musicman"? I'm assuming the former, but it's better to be sure, you know?
Nope, no sig here.
I think the Stingray 5 has alcino magnets in the pickups and the 4 has ceramic (or it may be the other way around), so that will make a little bit of a difference.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Mutant Corn
Are you talking about the actual sterling or the "sterling by musicman"? I'm assuming the former, but it's better to be sure, you know?

i think the actual sterling? i didnt know there were two. whats the difference?
Other random things to consider:

Necks: I don't know whether you have tried them out or not yeat, but the Stingray has a bigger, fatter, neck similar to a P-bass. The Sterling has a smaller, slimmer neck,
more like a Jazz bass.

Resale Value: The Stingray is going to retain its value far better than the Sterling. So down the road it you decided to sell it, or trade it or something the Stringray is going to put more cash back in your hands.
Quote by Captain Insano
Other random things to consider:

Necks: I don't know whether you have tried them out or not yeat, but the Stingray has a bigger, fatter, neck similar to a P-bass. The Sterling has a smaller, slimmer neck,
more like a Jazz bass.

hmm for some reason i actually like the p-bass neck better anyway. how does the sterling and stingray differ tonally? and how do their electronics differ?

and to fleajr_1412 whats the other sterling like?
all i kno is the Bongo > all
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
It seems to me that the Stingray is more Jazz Bass-ish while the Sterling is more P Bass-ish. It is a very small difference though.
Quote by edgeyyz
It seems to me that the Stingray is more Jazz Bass-ish while the Sterling is more P Bass-ish. It is a very small difference though.

It say it was the other way round to be honest.

Quote by marchisgonebass
and to fleajr_1412 whats the other sterling like?

I don't know personally. There is a SB14 at my local shop I've been meaning to try out, so when (or if) I do, I'll post in this thread if it's still around. Though the generally word on the new Sterling line has been positive. Reviewers have said that they replicate the actually Musicmen (?) with ease.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
It say it was the other way round to be honest.

I agree, I've played a SUB for a while now and have to agree that the Stingrays are more P-like and the Sterlings are more of a mix of the both.

Quote by fleajr_1412
I don't know personally. There is a SB14 at my local shop I've been meaning to try out, so when (or if) I do, I'll post in this thread if it's still around. Though the generally word on the new Sterling line has been positive. Reviewers have said that they replicate the actually Musicmen (?) with ease.

I've heard a little about the Sterling series but not too much, from what I can see they seem to be a little lower in quality to the old SUB's but much better than the OLP's so I'd put a guess in them being around MIM Fender quality.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
sounds like i just need to go try them all out. thanks for the help guys
ampeg 6x10hlf fridge
GK400rb
washburn force 4
Gibson SG standard