im considering based on the other thread i posed either a ibanez rg ( i dont what one) or a schter hellraiser FR.

which is better?
What would be a good amp?
Should i change the pickups?
are they easy to tune,restring etc.

thanks for the help
Budget? Playing style? We need more info.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Well, that would depend almost entirely on which RG.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by icaneatcatfood
What kind of RG? If it's like a prestige, than Ibanez all the way.

Even if it weren't a Prestige, I'd be inclined to go with it anyway.

Schecters are ok, but if you bought it, you know you need to spend another $150 on pickups.

I'm not saying that Ibanez's stock pickups are excellent, just that they're passable until you can save the money.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn

me too. as long as it's got an original, pro, or lo pro edge in it.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
me too. as long as it's got an original, pro, or lo pro edge in it.

I keep hearing that these Edge III's are terrible on the net, but from people who own it it's fine.

What's so terrible about it?
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by JAustinMunn
What's so terrible about it?

honestly i'm not sure. i've never used an edge III for more than 5 minutes, but owning a guitar with an original edge in it i know thats what i'd want in all my trem guitars. awesome bridge!

but seriously TS, what RG?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Personally I'd go for a Hellraiser C-1 FR. EMG 81tw/89 stock and OFR for $900 new.
Creator of the Llamastack

Be wary of the different neck profiles too. An uncomfortable guitar is an unplayable one IMO.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
honestly i'm not sure. i've never used an edge III for more than 5 minutes, but owning a guitar with an original edge in it i know thats what i'd want in all my trem guitars. awesome bridge!

I dunno... The edges are good, but I love the ZR trem in my S Prestige. I haven't really had any problems with it either, except for the fact that the trem post came loose, and I couldn't get to it. Had to take it in, lol.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I'd get the Shecter because it's got a thicker neck, which I prefer. Ibanez makes great guitars but I can't stand their thin necks which is one of the main reasons I sold my RG. The only person who can answer the first question is you, because playability is a subjective issue. To recommend an amp, it would be easier if you tell us the style play and your budget. As far as pickups, that's up to you to decide. Don't buy a Hellraiser if you don't like EMG pickups and plan on changing them. Buy another guitar with pickups you like, or buy a guitar with low-quality pickups and change them, but don't buy a guitar with brand-name pickups if you plan on changing them. I personally don't like active pickups, so I'd get the Schecter C-1 Blackjack, which comes with Seymour Duncan pickups and a coil tap so you can get a variety of tones. Tuning a Floyd Rose isn't that difficult, and the same goes for restringing, but if you plan on changing tunings a lot, you'd better get a guitar with a fixed bridge, which also enhances tuning stability. Try different RGs and different Schecters and see what you like.
You need to give us your budget. There are lots of second hand MIJ RGs on ebay that would be awesome.
my budget would be maybe $500-$1500 AU.

and i play diffrent styles including metal (Black,Death,Thrash),Rock(Classic Rock,Hard Rock) (AC/DC,jimi hendrix,60-80's stuff) and some blues.

So would the RG be the better guitar?
I all so find the fender strat neck to be really playable. Les pual are to thick (and heavy)

i also like whammy bar use so whats better a OFR or a Edge (pro,2,3)?

that help?
Last edited by jimishred at Sep 3, 2009,
If a Les Paul neck is too thick, i doubt you'll like the schecter.

That being said, Strat necks are almost always medium thickness with a C shape neck i believe. Ibanez are thin and flat with a D shape profile.

I personally prefer the Edge Pro over an OFR, but the Edge pro 2 and Edge 3 aren't as good as an OFR or Edge Pro.
Quote by Pac_man0123
If a Les Paul neck is too thick, i doubt you'll like the schecter.

That being said, Strat necks are almost always medium thickness with a C shape neck i believe. Ibanez are thin and flat with a D shape profile.

I personally prefer the Edge Pro over an OFR, but the Edge pro 2 and Edge 3 aren't as good as an OFR or Edge Pro.

Why? I find that the Hellraiser is more of a Fender profile than an LP
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by JAustinMunn

Schecters are ok, but if you bought it, you know you need to spend another $150 on pickups.

I'm not saying that Ibanez's stock pickups are excellent, just that they're passable until you can save the money.

Schecters don't need the upgrade in the hellraiser series, they're all loaded out with EMG81TW/60's now. Head and shoulders above stock ibanez...plus compared a prestige Ibanez RG would run about an extra $300 over a hellraiser.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
Schecters don't need the upgrade in the hellraiser series, they're all loaded out with EMG81TW/89's now

fixed
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
Why? I find that the Hellraiser is more of a Fender profile than an LP

I have a Les Paul with a '59 style neck and i've owned a fender HW1 strat and if i had to match a hellraiser neck with one or the other i'd put it with the Les Paul.
Quote by JAustinMunn

EMG 89/81 actives with coil taps aren't good enough?! Changing pick ups never even crossed my mind. neck through body, grover tuners and yes an original fr not licensed. edge suck compared to fr. At least any I've tried. This is the third scecter I've owned. All have been better guitars per cost of alot of brands. for 899.00 the hellraiser is a steal.
Quote by JAustinMunn

How so? Lots of Schecters come stock with EMGs, and a few come with SDs stock.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by m3chinizer
EMG 89/81 actives with coil taps aren't good enough?! Changing pick ups never even crossed my mind. neck through body, grover tuners and yes an original fr not licensed. edge suck compared to fr. At least any I've tried. This is the third scecter I've owned. All have been better guitars per cost of alot of brands. for 899.00 the hellraiser is a steal.

The Hellraiser OFR is korean-made, and it's not neck-through. It has a set neck. The only edge trems that suck are the Edge 3, TRS trems, and Edge pro 2. The Edge Pro, Lo-Pro, and Original Edge are amazing and in my opinion better than a floyd.
Not all Schecter necks are thick... My Tempest customs neck is totally different than my Schecter PT. Everybody thinks schecter just makes metal guitars. That is not the case at all. I dont even own a "metal" guitar, and i love schecters.
i find schecter necks to be slightly thinner than fender strat necks. i can compare because i own both a schecter and a fender strat. and whoever said that you would need to replace the pickups in the hellraiser is wrong. EMG 81/89TW's need to be changed? maybe if you wanted a cleaner sound, you'd swap the 89 for a 60, but i wouldn't. you may be thinking of Ibanez stocks. the lower ends have some pretty bad pickups.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by m3chinizer

you best be trolling

like pacman said, The best FRs are some of the ones Ibanez makes. The edge, lo pro, edge pro, edge zero are better than any OFR i've owned or tried
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks