Hey, I'd like to record from my amp and I've heard that this mic is the best way.

Just had one question, what do I need with the mic outside of software to record straight to my computer? I know they sell an additional peice of hardware for an extra $100 (Here), but is that necessary to record straight to my pc?

I just want to know if I need any additional products other than just the mic and software to start recording.

Thanks!
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
you must have a usb interface to use this mic. i have the same one.
my setup is SM57>mic cord >into a tapco usb interface>the usb interface into my computers usb port>and into Reapers free recording software.
If budget is important, Samson make a great little USB dynamic mic for about $70. Point the fat end at your amp, plug the thin end into your Pc, and you're ready to go. You'll save about $150, and will get just the same quality.

Sounds great for mic'ing up cabs - on a par with the SM57 certainly.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Tomaz24
Yes an SM57 is pretty useless going direct into your computer.

Hmm, what do you mean?

It isn't meant for micing my amp and recording to my pc?
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Just use a shure + interface will give great sound. such USB mics and XLR to USB things isnt that great.
Last edited by GisleAune at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Scopic
Hmm, what do you mean?

It isn't meant for micing my amp and recording to my pc?

Yes but or your interface has mic preamp or it will not record anything, or you need a preamp between the mic and the interface if it does not have one.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Quote by itafromhell
Yes but or your interface has mic preamp or it will not record anything, or you need a preamp between the mic and the interface if it does not have one.

Hence my USB mic suggestion. You get 90% of the sound quality for 1/3rd of the cost and 1/3rd of the hassle! That said, if you can find a combined mic preamp/interface it'd be a great buy for the future.
get the damn 57 or 58 plug it to an interface and you wont regret it.

the quality of recording lies solely on the interface (pre-amps + A to D conversion)

Edit: the extra piece of hardware is not worth it. get a good soundcard, its good basically for podcasts...

(i welcome different opinions)
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Last edited by HannibalX at Sep 1, 2009,
I'm sorry, I'm really new to recording.

I'm guessing a preamp is what the mic plugs in to in order to record sound from it to the computer.

But isn't that what this acts as?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57X2u-XLRToUSB-Digital-Bundle?sku=582352

That $100 extra device, doesn't it allow the mic to record directly to the PC or am I missing something here.

And to respond to that USB mic suggestion, I've been looking into it.

But, once again, doesn't the SM57 act the same as that USB mic with that device?

I know it may be cheaper just to buy the USB mic, but I'm guessing the SM57 has better quality sound, which is what I'd like without having to buy a $3,000 recording studio interface.

I apologize for my ignorance.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

Last edited by Scopic at Sep 1, 2009,
^ I think this thing is great, it's description says it everything thas needed to record onto your computer.

Quote by Review on musican's friend
I received the mic and the XLR to USB bundle from musicians friend. Plugged the X2u to my windows vista laptop. Everything installed itself automatically, within seconds I could record crystal clear sounds from my amps to my favorite recording software. The entire package is build like a rock (as expected from sure) and is very easy to use, it has all the control needed for monitoring, gain and volume level. Again shure did a fantastic great job at an incredible price. If you need to record tracks to your computer within seconds with a professional sound, go for it and don't look anywhere else.