Don't you guys worry that people will steal your riff or your lyrics when posting them? I'm new to the guitar scene (a few months) but i've been writing for years. I'm sure its like a code or something that people wouldn't do it....anyway first post and I was curious. Please don't flame, it was just for my own peace of mind.
i've thought of the same thing, but at the same time i'm also afraid that people will think that w/e riff or chord progression i write sucks too bad to be plagerized.
well technically,
if you post it.
you have proof that it was your idea first,
so it is your intellectual property.
though its still a tough case if you don't get it copywritten.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by soulflyV
What is 'plagerism'?

Aside from this incredibly pointless and unfunny response, let's post something to actually help: I just use myfreecopyright.com to get a copyright on my tabs before I post them so I don't have to worry about them being taken and if they are taken and I find out about it I have a defense to stop them from keeping it lol.
Quote by Morve38
Aside from this incredibly pointless and unfunny response, let's post something to actually help: I just use myfreecopyright.com to get a copyright on my tabs before I post them so I don't have to worry about them being taken and if they are taken and I find out about it I have a defense to stop them from keeping it lol.

Wasn't meant to be funny. I asked what 'plagerism' was.
Plagiarism by a big artist = Good Publicity

As long as you have proof you did it first, you can try poor man's copyright.
I'm afraid of this too, but then I think, there are so many tabs and lyrics, that it would have to be one amazingly great and influential piece to be copied by someone and used as a song that would actually be heard by a good amount of people.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by soulflyV
What is 'plagerism'?

you dont happen to be related to anyone from coldplay do you ?
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Last edited by blenk at Aug 31, 2009,
If someone plagiarized my music I would be very flattered, then i would sue their ass silly.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Sprint Jumper
omfg someone from brisbane as well!!!!

There's a fair few people from Brisbane on here. They pop up every now and then.

Quote by blenk
you dont happen to be related to anyone from coldplay do you ?

Good one.

It seems a lot of people don't know how to spell here. Anyway it's spelled plagiarism.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i believe you can just e mail your songs to yourself. that way it shows the date you got it and proves you had it before anyone else if it ever becomes an issue.

That doesn't count any more and it won't stand up in a court of law.
Quote by trick624
I'm sure its like a code or something that people wouldn't do it....

Hold on let me check the code book

You're wrong, nothing in the code book states this!

*checks profile, listens to mp3s, begins to try to mimic on guitar*
I believe in some countries you can register your copyright, granting you additional rights, and in others, it's enough to mark © "Your name" "2009". That's what Stephen Fry told me anyway
You can always post it to yourself with a recorded delivery, cause the post office will always keep the details of recorded deliveries.
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Quote by Mr. Rittard
well technically,
if you post it.
you have proof that it was your idea first,
so it is your intellectual property.
though its still a tough case if you don't get it copywritten.

Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know that you know nothing.
You can not "get something copywritten"
The moment you write something it is yours. It's "copywritten" the second you write it, you just have to be able to prove it in a court of law if someone claims it as their own.
dont know if anyone has mentioned yet, but here in australia if you write the piece along with the date and your signature then that is your piece of music and if someone rips off your music you can use that as evidence.
that counts for anything you write, novel/music/ whatever.
Listen everyone, most of the posts in this thread are so painfully inaccurate. Some of you have an idea of what copyright is but it seems like no one fully understands it. There are two things that aren't protected by copyright and that is ideas and band names. Everything else is under copyright law. By e-mailing it to yourself or marking it with a time and date does not "copyright" it just proves that you had a copy of it at that time, which you can use to prove that you wrote it. If you wrote it, you have every right to claim it as yours but obviously not everyone will automatically believe you. That is why you need to be able to prove it.

Normally you wouldn't sue anyone over plagiarism unless they were making enough money for you to care. In which case you would have to make an agreement over the royalties e.i you receive 50% of the money made. If they do not come to an agreement and claim it as their own, you will have to prove it is yours in court and then they will go to jail for perjury.

tl;dr - your songs are protected under copyright, if you're so paranoid about it, don't post them online.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know that you know nothing.
You can not "get something copywritten"
The moment you write something it is yours. It's "copywritten" the second you write it, you just have to be able to prove it in a court of law if someone claims it as their own.

you're a douche
I was just trying to help.

and fyi
you CAN copy write songs.
though what you said is true.
its still a good idea to get a public record of it.

"Under the present copyright law, which became effective Jan. 1, 1978,
a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A
work is created when it is ?fixed? in a copy or phonorecord for the
first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor
publication is required for copyright protection under the present
law"

also

"There are, however, certain advantages to registration, including the
establishment of a public record of the copyright claim."

www.copyright.gov/circs/circ50.pdf (page 1)

For each composition you (1) fill out the standard Form PA; (2)
enclose a copy of the CD of your song: (3) send in a fee of $30. You
can register multiple copyrights at the same time and enclose one CD
of all the songs.

Your copyright is registered from the day the Copyright Office gets
the application form(s); you don't have to wait until the application
is processed.

www.copyright.gov/circs/circ50.pdf (see page 2 for a full outline of
registration procedures)

"A copyright registration is effective on the date the Copyright
Office receives all the required elements in acceptable form,
regardless of how long it then takes to process the application and
mail the certificate of registration. "

www.copyright.gov/circs/circ50.pdf (page 6)

To get the application form, go to the US Copyright Office web site (
http://www.copyright.gov/forms/ ) and click on Form PA--just a little
way down from the top of the page.

Flam·boy·ant

registration and copyright are completely different. registration means that whenever it's performed in public or played on the radio, who has it registered will receive the royalties. As you cans see, nothing to do with copyright.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
registration and copyright are completely different. registration means that whenever it's performed in public or played on the radio, who has it registered will receive the royalties. As you cans see, nothing to do with copyright.

what the hell are you talking about?
you can "officially" get songs copywritten,
so its a matter of public record.

yes it is copywritten when you pen it,
but nobody knows that if you keep it in a drawer.
its safer to go and get it officially copywritten.

it stands much more on its own in court,
than an email, I'd imagine.

and you need to register your copywrite.
royalties are different, however,
and are completely unrelated to your own copywrites
when its you doing something with them.

so to recap
1. You copyright your song as soon as you write it down or record it.
(You can put that little c in a circle next to its title right away).

2. To protect yourself, it's a good idea to register your copyright.
That way, no one esle can claim your song (or cover it without a fee
to you).

Flam·boy·ant

If you're going to be that stubborn about it then I would guess there are different copyright laws in the USA. However, if you lived in Australia, I would be right.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
If you're going to be that stubborn about it then I would guess there are different copyright laws in the USA. However, if you lived in Australia, I would be right.

international copyright are international.

Flam·boy·ant

if my crap ended up on someone else's shit itd be the greatest compliment it would ever receive hahaha
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Mr. Rittard

international copyright are international.

Everyone knows about the Berne Convention but there is an Australian Copyright Act 1968. There's one for most countries.

EDIT: judging by this thread, I'm not so sure that everyone actually does know about the Berne Convention.
A copyright exists once you create something. Getting it registered is indisputable proof you created it first. You can try emailing it to yourself but then someone might claim you edited the mail header or something to change the date on it. Poor man's copyright is where you put your music on a CD and send it in REGISTERED MAIL to yourself and not open it. Then the post office can confirm the date, but there's still flaws in it.
Poor mans copyright still holds in the UK.

Its recommend by the MU.

Do that, send them to yourself via email aswell and then do it on myfreecopyright. I do all 3 of these things. Joining the MU is a good idea aswell, a lot of benefits (e.g. insurance, legal advice etc)
I would be flattered if someone completely ripped off one of my songs.

At this point in my life I am more concerned about being unpopular than about being plagiarized. I still take the time to mail myself copies of my work through registered mail just in case some issues come up in the future.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Poor mans copyright still holds in the UK.

Its recommend by the MU.

Do that, send them to yourself via email aswell and then do it on myfreecopyright. I do all 3 of these things. Joining the MU is a good idea aswell, a lot of benefits (e.g. insurance, legal advice etc)

People can claim you opened the envelope and then resealed it, good idea to do all 3 though. I also upload onto Myspace and Youtube and anything else that lets me upload, and send with several email addresses.