Okay. If I have playing for a year, on and off, and know i'm never gonna be in a metal band, or be a guitar hero, and I listen to Britrock/pop, Indie, Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, that kinda stuff, is it worth me spending a LOT of time perfecting sweep picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, really fast riffing or just improving my chords, general song knowledge and practicing my alternate picking and a few scales to a metronome like i do at the moment, and just improve in those areas?
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Just get good at what you feel you'll need. Learning sweeping, tapping, and fast rif***e, in my opinion, DOES help with learning other techniques, but you really don't need to master those if you don't feel you should. But if you can incorporate those techniques into your style of music, I would love to hear that. If you do it well, that is.

JEWEDIT: wow, i meant to type r-i-f-f-a-g-e, but it censored the f-a-g. who woulda thunk?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Last edited by guitarsftw at Aug 31, 2009,
Yup, you should at least learn it. you might be able to work it into something you write/play one day. You dont need to master it though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I'm a bit of a noob but i reckon it's good to learn new techniques. i'd say practice at least tappingand the fast riffing if that's what you're in to because tapping isn't hugely difficult and anyone can play fast with enough practice. it also depends on how skilled you are for example don't learn the fast riffing and tapping if you can't alternate (which is what i did regretfully). I'd say if your not going to use these techniques i wouldn't learn something like sweep picking which takes ages to learn i"ve been at it for nearly a month now and i'm pretty hopeless at it but that's just my opinion. i also think it's not about speed but how well you play each note E.G i'd choose B.B King over Herman Li from Dragonforce any day. but that's just me =P
Quote by Stugg334
Okay. If I have playing for a year, on and off, and know i'm never gonna be in a metal band, or be a guitar hero, and I listen to Britrock/pop, Indie, Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, that kinda stuff, is it worth me spending a LOT of time perfecting sweep picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, really fast riffing or just improving my chords, general song knowledge and practicing my alternate picking and a few scales to a metronome like i do at the moment, and just improve in those areas?

With that attitude. No you won't.

Quote by Stugg334
Okay. is it worth me spending a LOT of time perfecting sweep picking, pinch harmonics, tapping, really fast riffing or just improving my chords, general song knowledge and practicing my alternate picking and a few scales to a metronome like i do at the moment, and just improve in those areas?

Buy grade books. GOOD ones at that. It will help you build up knowledge of quite a few areas.
You should be aiming to improve in all areas that will help you. That part is really up to you.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
You don't have to learn anything....knowing sweep picking or being able to play fast doesn't automatically make you a "better" guitarist, arguably it makes you a worse guitarist if you skipped over a load of fundamental, more important stuff in a rush to get there.

Learn what you want to learn and play what you like to play, there's thousands of pros out there who have never played a sweep in their life and never will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
learn it just because it aint in that genre of music(manufactured bands) right now doesn`t mean that it aint relevant to music, if you were to introduce these techniques to the genre maybe you`d get noticed.

1 day you might take session musician work and you need to have mastered everything...