hello UG!. i need a hand on my science hw. im studying the possibility of life in outer space and i cant find anything on these queestion.

Would this life need to be Carbon based?
I...I don't think that all life is carbon-based...is it?

EDIT: Forget I said that.

I'm pretty sure that unless they are supercomputers (Silicon-based life), that it would have to be carbon...
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Aug 31, 2009,
All life on earth is carbon based. But some scientists believe there's a good possibility that somewhere in the universe it is possible that some other element could be used as a basis for life. It's just that carbon is so abundant here that it makes sense that it would be the base of all our organic molecules.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Depends - there could be life out there living in properties entirely different than our own.
Since there is no comparative model, this is not science. It's pure speculation.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
we will probably never know for sure, the universe is so huge, there are endless possible combinations of elements. Scientists say however that carbon and silicium based life forms are most probable, because these are to be found almost everywhere in the universe and because of their chemical relation to the other elements for creating different tissues (or something like that, don't know for sure, google this)
████████
████████
████████
Quote by StewieSwan
Since there is no comparative model, this is not science. It's pure speculation.

+1
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
I've heard Nitrogen based mentioned a few times, but don't quote me, as I could just be getting that from movies (e.g. Evolution). But I don't see why it has to be carbon specifically.
It's probably one of those things like how noble gasses don't form compounds - they sometimes do (if we play with them enough), but it's just easier to say things like 'Noble gasses don't form compounds' and 'Life is carbon based'.
Quote by soulflyV
With an infinite expanse of space and infinite amounts of planets there are infinite possibilities.

Space is not infinite, to say it's infinite is to say that it has always existed and always will continue on.

If space were infinite (and space and time are interlinked) the night sky would be totally bright. Even more so than day since the light from far off stars would have had an infinite time to reach us and if space were infinite, the stars would be able to fill up the entire night sky no problem.

The problem with space being infinite means that the amount of matter being created in the universe is rising, which we know is not as the electromagnetic residue in our universe is decreasing in temperature (About 2.37 Kelvin now). The static you receive on a TV channel that's not broadcasting is the residual energy left over from the big bang.

With that being said, I do believe that there is an incredibly high chance that there's another planet that supports life considering there has been 13.7 billion years for everything to happen.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Space is not infinite, to say it's infinite is to say that it has always existed and always will continue on.

There's still discussion about the nature of the universe in terms of being infinite. The Oxford Head of Astrophysics says:

"We don't know. The expanding Universe theory says that the Universe could expand forever [that corresponds to a 'flat' Universe]. And that is probably the model of the Universe that we feel closest to now. But it could also be finite, because it could be that the Universe has a very large volume now, but finite, and that that volume will increase, so only in the infinite future will it actually be infinite."

And if he doesn't know, then... well... certainly no-one here will know if it's finite or infinite.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's still discussion about the nature of the universe in terms of being infinite. The Oxford Head of Astrophysics says:

"We don't know. The expanding Universe theory says that the Universe could expand forever [that corresponds to a 'flat' Universe]. And that is probably the model of the Universe that we feel closest to now. But it could also be finite, because it could be that the Universe has a very large volume now, but finite, and that that volume will increase, so only in the infinite future will it actually be infinite."

And if he doesn't know, then... well... certainly no-one here will know if it's finite or infinite.

No doubt that the universe will continue to expand long after us but to say it's infinite implies that it has always existed and there has been an infinite amount of time for everything to happen.
Quote by XianXiuHong
No doubt that the universe will continue to expand long after us but to say it's infinite implies that it has always existed and there has been an infinite amount of time for everything to happen.

Depends on how you use infinite. It has more than one meaning. One meaning is that an infinite thing is an immeasurable thing. Which is true, in terms of the universe. We can only measure the observable universe. We can't measure beyond that.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Depends on how you use infinite. It has more than one meaning. One meaning is that an infinite thing is an immeasurable thing. Which is true, in terms of the universe. We can only measure the observable universe. We can't measure beyond that.

This is true.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The expanding Universe theory says that the Universe could expand forever [that corresponds to a 'flat' Universe]

Good reasoning, but to understand that, one must know that ever since the Big Bang, the Universe has been expanding (as evidenced by the Red Shift phenomenon). And as it expands, it cools. Theoretically, when the Universe has reached 0 degrees Kelvin, and can not cool down any further (otherwise known as the Heat Death of the Universe), it will stop expanding and either a) remain stationary or, more likely, b) begin condensing back on itself.

Of course, "empty" space could go on forever...so:

The question of a finite "space" (and, by Special Relativity, time aswell) therefore becomes one of finite "matter" and since there is always a fixed amount of matter (and energy, by the famous E = mc^2) in the Universe, one can safely assume the Universe to be a limited, finite one.

That's what i've always thought anyway...haven't been keeping up with Astrophysics Weekly lately...
Newsweek had a good article on this very recently regarding Nasa and the invention of a traveling telescope to determine exactly what you are referring to. It should still be on newstands and might be worth checking out. It also lists references.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by abc112
hello UG!. i need a hand on my science hw. im studying the possibility of life in outer space and i cant find anything on these queestion.

Would this life need to be Carbon based?

Right then. While we might ponder the existence of life forms that are not Carbon based, our expertise is considerably greater when it comes to Carbon based. We can much better make presumptions based on our own known limitations etc.

As such, we consider that life CAN exist on Earth, partially due to its position in the Solar System.

It is in just the right spot to be neither too hot (no water) or too cold (ice), and is juuuust right for carbon based life.

So with that in mind, we can now assume that there will be other planets, that are also in just the right place. I saw a documentary on TV, which stated that within our part of the Milky Way, there are potentially 10,000 planets that could support life.

I did not know what it was called, but the "Science" is apparently called "ExoBiology" or "AstroBiology" HERE

Without the science part, I find it not only absurd that someone could think we are "the only ones", but if you consider that the possibility of winning the UK Lotto is 14Million:1, and yet people do and then consider that in the Milky Way there are around 400 Billion stars (taken via the short scale to mean "four hundred, thousand, million") then potentially there are 28500 or so planets with life on in our Galaxy. Assuming each Sun only has one planet around it!

People often argue that even if there were life outside our Solar System, it would take them too long to get here, if you consider that our nearest star, Proxima Centuri is 4.2 light years away. Yup, it's a long way. I once calculated how much fuel I would need to drive there in my 7 seater (and how much it would cost me) as an exercise in big numbers, for my kids.
But, surely if a civilisation has advanced that much further than us, then they would likely have been around longer than us and have had time to, not only refine Light Speed travel, or even the use of worm holes, but they could also have set up outposts or be living in the Australian desert (where nobody goes or flies over) or even have built an outpost nearby, when they found out we were here.

So yes, I would say that there is extraterrestrial life outside of our solar system, probably even within our solar system and more than likely on our planet.
Anybody who thinks otherwise, is either scared, stupid or too religious. The numbers speak for themselves without even contemplating the other evidence.

The government will never admit to knowing about other life, because it will cause mass hysteria to start with. Then it will undermine religion even more than science already has, which will cause further problems.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 31, 2009,