Hey all, I recently got myself a lovely Peavey 5150II Head and matching 4x12 in top condition for a very good price.. I thought everything was okay with the amp and had been looking forward to jamming with the band all week! But..

Unfortunatly when we were jamming I noticed that the 5150II seemed to kinda get lost in the mix, I tried cranking more but all it did was produce a low end that overpowered everything else and was way too loud but somehow still no actual tone comming through I also messed around with the EQ for a while too (and im know what im doing, like I dont scoop the mids or have anything set crazy.. though i did try all that to see if it would help!). I used my old Marshall 2x12 with the band and next time im going to take the peavey 4x12 and see if it will make a difference, seeing as it will project a bigger sound anyway.

I have also been wondering about maybe changing the power tubes, I have sovtek WXT+ in there (and they are pretty damn old anyway!). Was thinking about JJ's or something? I think it needs to be brighter to cut through. Brighter 6l6 tubes..

So yeh, anyone else had any experiences like this? and if so, find any solution?

Its still early days so I want to try a few things before thinking about another amp.

Cheers, Chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Aug 31, 2009,
bump
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
JJs aren't going to darken the tone of the 5150 amp that much. I had a 5150 and I tried quite a few different tubes in it. The only ones that sounded great were the JJs. They seemed to give it a bit more headroom and a bit better tone.

I would definitely start with retubing it as you'll notice a difference going with the JJs. After that if you're still having issues, try testing out a cheap EQ in the effects loop. I bought a cheap behringer pedal off ebay for my 5150 and it worked great. Just remember to put it in the effects loop.

But first try out that 4x12 cabinet as you're going to get a much better projection from it.

5150s are great amps and I have found them to require less tweaking then most gear I've owned. If all else fails, get a Tube Screamer as it's almost impossible to get lost in the mix with one.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Aug 31, 2009,
Thanks for the advice man, im new to the 5150II.. been using a Valveking for way too long lol. Well I cracked out some RUBY 6l6GCMSTR's (they came with the amp but I swapped them out for sovtek WXT+ that sounded great jamming alone) I have now got 2 RUBY's and 2 WXT+ and its definatly made a difference to me, less distortion in the lows and more midrange punch.. actually sounds better than it was before! didn't like the amp with all RUBY's but this mixture seems to add a nice bit of midrange that was missing.. just have to wait to jam with the band and see!

It definatly is a great amp, I guess im still getting to know it!

cheers, chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
Last edited by synth002 at Aug 31, 2009,
You need to be useing a matched quad of power tubes, mixing brands, is only asking for trouble unless you have the proper equipment and know what your doing.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
You need to be useing a matched quad of power tubes, mixing brands, is only asking for trouble unless you have the proper equipment and know what your doing.

The only reason why you need to "match" tubes is to ensure that they are all running close to the same power rating. This is done just to make biasing an amp easier.

However, you technically could mix and match anything you wanted. As long as your hottest tube was the one that was biased correctly. That way all of your other tubes are sure to be running under the correct voltage.

Of course this would mean using a bias probe on ALL the powertubes to check the inline power. Once you find the hottest one you can just bias that one.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Just out of curiosity, where was your "mid" tone control while playing?

EDIT: reread your post, I'm a moron, sorry.

My recommendation would be JJ 6L6s. The whole "JJs are darker" thing is pretty much urban legend, and dealing with their preamp tubes at that (it would be stated another way...they sound "incredibly creamy and smooth, not at all ice-picky"...it's all qualitative).
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Last edited by DLrocket89 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by theraven871
The only reason why you need to "match" tubes is to ensure that they are all running close to the same power rating. This is done just to make biasing an amp easier.

However, you technically could mix and match anything you wanted. As long as your hottest tube was the one that was biased correctly. That way all of your other tubes are sure to be running under the correct voltage.

Of course this would mean using a bias probe on ALL the powertubes to check the inline power. Once you find the hottest one you can just bias that one.

Exactly, and I highly doubt the TS has a bias probe, or even changed the bias on his amp when he changed the tubes. Thats why I said that he should use matched tubes because if the bias rate is to high the hotter set of tubes it could atually cause it to burn out very quickly or damage the amp if the dipensation is set above 90%. I don't know if the bias sweep on the 6505+ even has enough of allowance to do that, so I don't know if thats is even a concern. A matched quad will most likly sound better and be fuller than mix matching with out setting the bias properly, that alone is a good reason for getting matched tubes.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Johnbryant
Exactly, and I highly doubt the TS has a bias probe, or even changed the bias on his amp when he changed the tubes. Thats why I said that he should use matched tubes because if the bias rate is to high the hotter set of tubes it could atually cause it to burn out very quickly or damage the amp if the dipensation is set above 90%. I don't know if the bias sweep on the 6505+ even has enough of allowance to do that, so I don't know if thats is even a concern. A matched quad will most likly sound better and be fuller than mix matching with out setting the bias properly, that alone is a good reason for getting matched tubes.

I definitely agree with you. My previous post was only to state that you *could* mix and match tubes. Not that anyone *should*.

I would ALWAYS recommend a matched set. And if your amp doesn't have an adjustable bias, then you MUST use a matched set.

Losing a set of tubes is frustrating at best. However, causing damage to your amp can be a true heart breaker.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
6's across all the EQ, Presence/Resonance from 5-6 on the lead channel supposedly sounds very good.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Well ive mixed tubes in the valveking I used to have and never had any problems with that, it sounds good at the moment. The bias on the 5150II has a very cold range anyway, I may message a tech I know just to check.. as you say I definatly dont wana ruin the amp. Trust me it sounds better with a mix of 2 RUBYS and 2 WXT+ than it does with either as a full quad.

chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
JJ tubes seem to be alot less shrill, rather than have more highs, the JJ-EL84 and 34 seem to be a little midsier (if thats a word) than EHX or sovteks.

my favourite brighter power tubes are EHX, they dont have the same level of low end as JJs, but they have nice midrange and treble.

SilvrSpr.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ