Page 1 of 2
Discussion/Sign ups - Click Here for "Submission Thread"

Deadline - Will allow a fair bit of time so no one complains about a late start.
1st October at the earliest.

~ Please only submit a piece of music written specifically for this competition - dont reuse a piece you already have.
~ If you see your display name in the list below, and dont want to compete/judge, please post in this thread, saying you're out.
~ If you would like to participate/judge, please post in this thread, saying you want to.
~ Guitar Pro files only. (possible exceptions, but the judges need to be able to see the score & hear the music)

Examples of classical music:
Josquin Des Prez (Renaissance)
Pierre de La Rue (Renaissance)
Handel (Barouqe)
J.S. Bach (Baroque)
Purcell (Baroque)
Mozart (Classical)
Haydn (Classical)
Beethoven (Classical/Early Romantic)
Chopin (Romantic)
Tchaikovsky (Romantic)
Debussy (Impressionist)
Ravel (Impressionist)
Bartók (20th Century)
Shoenberg (20th Century)
Sorry for the long list, if there are any you would like me to add, then let me know. I think I should possibly add a few more modern composers.

Classical is a broad term though, don't let it confine you. If you think it's classical, then that's good enough. In terms of instrumentation, it is entirely up to you, it could be a solo piece for guitar or an entire orchestra. It is recommended that the instruments go well with each other though, i.e., a string quartet is probably a bit more suitable than a piccolo with a trombone; but feel free to experiment all you want.

Participants
AngrySockMonkey
Benjabenja
CMon
gonzaw
Jarusafes
Jorsa
LucasGtrGod
Nemesis@Germany
ninja.kitty
Regression
Simon Blackwing
toine
ultimate-slash
zezikaro
zigslip

Judges
|_JR_|
Thomasoman

Judging criteria to come. Anyone want to help with that?
Last edited by Regression at Oct 18, 2009,
so we just play a classical song (no matter how difficult or easy) and you judge it?
T&C is for submitting tabs/scores of original compositions.

So to answer your question, no. You write a piece and submit it as a Guitar Pro file (or possibly midi).

If you wanted to do the above though, you may want to have a look through the rest of riffs & recordings. There's surely threads for something along those lines.
Yes.

If you want to participate but don't have Guitar Pro, you can always download TuxGuitar. It's essentially the same as Guitar Pro and it is freeware. I personally dislike it (interface isn't as good imo), but it gets the job done I suppose.

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/
i have a song i think ^^ sign me up
Edit: can i send you what i already have (don't know if it really is classical) :s
Last edited by toine at Aug 31, 2009,
1st rule (read original post in detail):

"Please only submit a piece of music written specifically for this competition - dont reuse a piece you already have."

I shall sign you up though.
Last edited by Regression at Aug 31, 2009,
well I'm in the list and I still wanna compete so that's sorted

anyways, considering the judging, if in the end there are too little volunteers for this, we could also say that people who have entered the competition also have to rate others work or something, just an idea though, and this is just in case

EDIT:

just one question, are there any rules about the length of the songs?

or would a song that's around 2:30 do?

I was a little enthusiastic about this competition so I actually just wrote a song, so that's why I'm asking
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Aug 31, 2009,
hm... there is a big problem in typing in piano chords onto GP's guitar frets.
meh.
Can I write it in FL and post the MP3?
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
to add to the composers list.. asian composer:
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Hajime Mizoguchi
Joe Hisaishi
Akira Senjyu

they sound more bound to nature and melancholic.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Last edited by Nemesis@Germany at Aug 31, 2009,
ultimate-slash, I see no reason for time limits, make it as long or as short as you want. You've already finished one though? If that's the case, then maybe try composing more so you can choose your favourite one to submit.

Nemesis@Germany, a score is needed for the judges to look at. I realise piano chords can be an issue on Guitar Pro though. When I write piano parts on Guitar Pro I personally set the right hand as a 7 string guitar and left as 6 string bass. I hope that helps... Or if you mean it's just inconvenient writing out piano chords using tab and wish to use piano roll, Guitar Pro has something similar, just above where you select the tempo, is a keyboard tab. The keyboard will allow you to enter notes just by clicking on the keys.

Also, I have only heard of Ryuichi Sakamoto and Joe Hisaishi (who I quite enjoy), but I don't think it's neccesary to add them to the list. Of the pieces I've heard, it's essentially classical with a bit more of a pop feel.
Last edited by Regression at Sep 1, 2009,
Remove that question mark!

Yeah, I'm in but I've never tried writing a pure classical composition. Should be fun .
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
Question mark gone.

Going to throw this out now. What should the marking criteria be? Including things such as creativity could be an issue as a baroque piece is obviously going to be a lot more conventional than a 20th century piece, but it would be unfair to be marked down for that.
I join the contest
R.I.P.
Chuck Schuldiner 1967-2001
Ronnie James Padavona 1942-2010
Darrell Lance Abbott 1966-2004
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Per Yngve Ohlin 1969-1991
Øystein Aarseth 1968-1993
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Ace Börje Thomas Forsberg 1966-2004
Quote by jakeums
I'd love to judge

Banned and you've only been a member for 3 days at most. I think we will pass.

Does anyone remember the way the other competitions were marked? Creativity, Accuracy, what else?
Quote by Regression
Banned and you've only been a member for 3 days at most. I think we will pass.

Does anyone remember the way the other competitions were marked? Creativity, Accuracy, what else?

Creativity/Originality, Genre Accuracy, Enjoyability.

Therefore, you may give low points in creativity because it is overly generic (lol look at me an hao i uze harmonic minor scalez and I IV IVV chord progrezionz) but still very fun to listen to.
We can only guffaw at all the humbug we are told about martyrs.
Classical uses I, IV and V a lot though. If someone chooses to write a Baroque styled piece, it'd be unfair to mark them down for using progressions which may not be considered the most original. If they were to use some crazy harmony, then it wouldn't really be a baroque styled piece.
I'd like to be a participant if that's possible

EDIT: Wait, so when we do this we actually have to choose a type of classical for it to be?

If so then mine is post romantic impressionism. YEAH!
Last edited by LucasGtrGod at Sep 4, 2009,
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
hm... there is a big problem in typing in piano chords onto GP's guitar frets.
meh.
Can I write it in FL and post the MP3?

You could use a seven string guitar for the lower notes and use both hands on one staff, or you could change the tuning of any guitar up or down any number of semitones, so you could have a bass staff and a treble staff for your piano.

Frets wouldn't be a problem then...
that's not the point.
the problem is that sometimes for example i have to play the 1st fret and the 3rd fret on the same string at the same time.
but..
i'll just use two tracks each for the bass and treble staff.
meh.. complicated.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
that's not the point.
the problem is that sometimes for example i have to play the 1st fret and the 3rd fret on the same string at the same time.
but..
i'll just use two tracks each for the bass and treble staff.
meh.. complicated.

Uh, you do realise there is a double voice function in guitar pro right?
Now that you mention it..
Actually I never knew.
Thanks.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
can we post our files now?
R.I.P.
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Quote by Regression
Going to throw this out now. What should the marking criteria be? Including things such as creativity could be an issue as a baroque piece is obviously going to be a lot more conventional than a 20th century piece, but it would be unfair to be marked down for that.

I think creativity is one of the most important things in any song of any style. Surely contemporary 20th century music is more original to begin with, but also much harder to compose than other earlier styles. And since "song quality" is also a criterium, nothing stops a very well executed, even if somewhat "generic" song, to compete in equal terms with a very creative, but not perfect one.

That said, a perfectly executed overly creative song would take the cake of course. But I'm fine with that, aren't you?

Well, I'm not really a connaisseur of classical music, but I can judge if you want
I'll join.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
LucasGtrGod, no, you don't have to choose a specific style, some people may choose to though.

Simon Blackwing, wait till I post a thread for submissions. We like to keep them seperate from the discussion thread so it's easier to navigate through. Also, you finished already?! I've been to busy to even start yet... <.< I plan to start today though.

|_JR_|, it's not that music prior to Romantic wasn't creative, it's more that creativity was more subtle.

Also, since it's classical, I think some attention should be payed to voice leading and other aspects of theory.
Last edited by Regression at Sep 4, 2009,
"Voice leading"? You mean, like, interplay between different voices, harmonizations etc.? That reminds me mostly of Bach's music, which relies heavily in counterpoint and stuff like that...

Well, I'm not all that familiar with music theory, as said before... my gameplan for judging would be to do the creativity/song quality/genre accuracy thing. Theory aspects end up falling under all these categories IMO... as in, using different and interesting techniques, using them well and not going outside the scope of classical while using them, respectively.

Your call in the end though.
Not my call actually, it's your call. You're one of the judges. Voice leading is basically how you place your notes.

In a I - vi - IV - V7 progression in a major key, say you had a string quartet playing that progression, from the V7 then back to I, you'd use the leading tone of the V7 on one of the violins most likely and move it up a semi-tone back to the tonic for the chord change. That's very basic voice leading, but that's essentially what it is. The intervals of the individual notes within the chords. (rather than just the root note) Classical composers were very attentive when it came to voice leading.
Last edited by Regression at Sep 5, 2009,
So it's more/less about making the chord progressions "flow" by correct note placements? Riiiight... Well, hope my limited knowledge is enough to do a good job
Right, I'm off overseas soon, so someone will have to run the rest of the competition. Trying to finish my piece, I fortunately have a main theme, nothing else though.. <.<

Don't be expecting a crazy symphony from me.. (not that anyone would)
Alright, I'm in, although I'm largely unexperienced within the classical genre.

This will be fun
What I have so far could only loosely be classed as classical, so yeahhh. Definately after the classical era itself, it's probably the 20th century influence.

Will put you on the list.
Last edited by Regression at Sep 23, 2009,
Submissions thread is up.

If anyone has the time, please message the other participants a reminder about this competition. I have a flight in a few hours so you won't be hearing from me anytime soon.

Thanks to endless procrastination, lack of innovation, and a computer which requires restarting every 5 minutes, I only managed to write a very short piece. ABA. I intended for it to be rondo form, along the lines of ABACA, but didn't have the time. (started it yesterday and have been busy most of today)

I'm somewhat happy with the climax of the piece, especially the viola at 46, but obviouly it's lacking in the amount of content.
sorry in the piece, in the organ version forget the last 7 bars, it was thinking of adding more but i forgot it and left it, sorry.
R.I.P.
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Page 1 of 2