Hi,
I'm probably going to pick up my new guitar (Fender Jazzmaster) tomorrow, and I want to keep it clean in the long run. My previous guitar hasn't been kept that wel (if you think, i never cleaned the fretboard, and stuff like that), so I don't want that to happen again. What should I buy to keep my guitar in the best shape, you know, what should I use to clean the fretboard, how to avoid rusty pickups/bridges...

Thanks in advance for any tips
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

A soft polish cloth should be all you need. Give it a good wipe down and make sure the hardware gets a good wipe too after each play. I know that may sound chore'ish but it will serve you well in the future and you'll need to worry less about going to a guitar shop because your guitar is a mess.

Every time you change the strings give your guitars fingerboard a good wipe too. You can buy lemon oil for the fingerboard if it's a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. But don't overdo it. Just a little drop should cover the whole fretboard when rubbed in.

That should keep it good for years and years.

Edit: Every 6 months it could also be a good thing to get 0000 grade steel wool and rub the fingerboard softly to remove any dirt left by dead skin (it also acts as a good way to polish your frets and make them very shiny) but I don't recommend doing this every time you change your strings. Every 6 months if it's grimey enough.

Edit 2: Note. All of the above is directed for rosewood and ebony fingerboards. Do not use lemon oil or steel wire wool on a maple neck. You will do more bad than good.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Last edited by satchgear at Aug 31, 2009,
how do you clean a maple neck then :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Just a polish cloth.. the finish shouldn't get dirty enough for anything else.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Quote by satchgear
Edit 2: Note. All of the above is directed for rosewood and ebony fingerboards. Do not use lemon oil or steel wire wool on a maple neck. You will do more bad than good.

Well, it's a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck, what to do with that? I don't want to do anything bad to a guitar like that
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...