Do you like going into guitar shops? I personally dont like it because so many staff are so arrogant it's untrue. I know quite a lot about music gear but you still get patronised even though you know more than the sales kid.
The shops I've been in, the staff were great. Although I didn't have any questions.

It seems as though the smaller the item, the more expensive it is than usual.
Couldn't agree with you more. The odd time I'll get someone cool who'll help in any way they can, but for the most part the staff are very condescending and make you feel like you're wasting their time.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
I prefer private guitar dealers,they are were more knowledgeable and friendly but some guitar store
workers will be helpful if you flash your money so they know you mean business, its got to be hard to work in a guitar store though having people trying every guitar and only buying a plec in the end
and hearing the same songs over and over and over
i've found that almost all large chain music stores are terrible, although the couple of Music Go Rounds i've been to have been really nice, with a helpful, but not overbearing staff.
Well I also know alot about the stuff I go to guitar shops for so I usually don't pay attention to them. I mean places like guitar center and sam ash are going to be like that so I expect it. However, if your from New York City and your familiar with guitar row, these little music shops are were very essential to the 70s and 80s music scene. Manny's music for example, I love the store because the guy knows what he's talking about, its a private owned store and he actually has used gear that people want(68 Telecaster P-Bass, Richenbacher basses) and he sells them for cheap cause he says "he knows how it is to be a musician.

So after that long rant, I would say I like privetly owned guitar shops the best, they just have a sort of feeling about them.
myspace.com/scenesfromasuicide

Diamond Series Telecaster <3

1960s Les Paul Sun Burst

Quote by Tire Me.

Came during the scene where harry's in the graveyard fighting with voldemort.

Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.
I agree with TS.

The only ones I like are the less commercialized/corporate ones that have boutique stuff for sale without young jerk off sales people.
Quote by bellyache
Do you like going into guitar shops? I personally dont like it because so many staff are so arrogant it's untrue. I know quite a lot about music gear but you still get patronised even though you know more than the sales kid.

Where will we get our guitars if we don't like to go into em?!

I personally love going inside em due to their huge library of guitars I can play with until I leave..
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
ye i do like guitar shops, but like you said some staff, particularly younger adults, can be very patronizing. Find a good shop though and build up a good rapport with the owners, and its really useful
I like guitar shops. The people at the stores I go to are actually very helpful. Guitar Center is the best.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
I hate going into my local one because they somehow always make me spend twice as much as I mean to... everytime I go in there I walk out poor, carrying something I'm sure I don't need with my ears ringing from all the jargon
Some I like, some I don't. I've never had the displeasure of having to use a guitar-centre, and all the shops near me are pretty small so it's not much of an issue having 'teh big evil corpurashunz'. One of the best music-shop experiences for me was Denmark street in London. I loved the fact that due to the volume of shops you could find anything you wanted, yet due to them being independent and all rather small the people that worked there weren't dickheads.
dont mind them, except when people go in there to show off on guitar by playing sweet child o' mine (makes reference to the kids in guitar center)
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Quote by ripdime04
dont mind them, except when people go in there to show off on guitar by playing sweet child o' mine (makes reference to the kids in guitar center)

Even worse than that are the people that play smoke on the water and think they're on top of the world.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
I remember going to my first Guitar Center. I expected a huge ass store with plenty of room, but instead I walk into this cramped store full of employees chilling out.

In result, I'll stick with small music shops.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by dweb23
ye i do like guitar shops, but like you said some staff, particularly younger adults, can be very patronizing. Find a good shop though and build up a good rapport with the owners, and its really useful

well thats the thing ive been going to this one shop since the mid 90s and everytime you go in its some new staff. i wanted my guitar setup and told the guy about one specific problem i had. the guy wouldnt even answer my questions he just kept saying 'im not sure ill need to ask the tech', so i said can i not just speak to him directly and he said 'he is really busy to speak to customers. i had to phone 4 times to get the answer.

so after the tech does most of the work he phones me about the reason i asked for the setup in the first place and gets the saleskid to phone me and tell me that he didnt have the part. so i got pissed and asked why he started the setup considering the most important point was the one i phoned about. he then replied 'you initially asked for a couple of things to be done and he has done a fullsetup so think yourself lucky'.

ive not even got the guitar back yet. my girlfriend said when she picked it up the guy was complaining that i didnt pick it up in time. i wont be back eitherway, but it means i need to go to another town for any repairs i cant fix.
Last edited by bellyache at Aug 31, 2009,
I only ever go in to buy strings and all the shiny new guitars taunt my broke ass
Being in the UK, there are really no big major corporate stores [and the only ones I can think of have around 5 stores max], and tons of smaller ones.

All the ones I go to are great - good instruments choices and good staff.
Especially Denmark Street. I bought my Tele Deluxe from a shop there - very friendly staff.

Also, how you can you not like entering a guitar shop? It means you may walk out with something!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I like small guitar shops. The people that work at my local one are really cool.
***Short Sig***
I don't really mind either my local shop or the Long and Mcquade that's about 20 mins away.
I recently bought a Mesa Express 5:50 112 and it ended up having all kinds of internal issues, so after about 3 weeks of them trying different things to fix it (I had to take it home, realise it wasn't fixed, then take it back about 4 times) I said it's still not fixed and I've been back and forth about 4 times trying to get it fixed, one of the staff remembered me coming in before with the same problem and said he would give me a new one, which ended up being a 212 with no extra charge.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by kyle100
I don't really mind either my local shop or the Long and Mcquade that's about 20 mins away.
I recently bought a Mesa Express 5:50 112 and it ended up having all kinds of internal issues, so after about 3 weeks of them trying different things to fix it (I had to take it home, realise it wasn't fixed, then take it back about 4 times) I said it's still not fixed and I've been back and forth about 4 times trying to get it fixed, one of the staff remembered me coming in before with the same problem and said he would give me a new one, which ended up being a 212 with no extra charge.

wut they tried to fix the mesa while still under warranty? you should have told them where to stick it in the first place they are obliged to provide you with a replacement anyway.
I hate them.

Like you going into a guitar shop, I start eyeing up the PRS guitars, knowing ill never be able to afford them, and they're all like "Can I help you", I'm like "Yeah I'm wondering if I'm able to try any of these out", and theyre like "Well only if youre interested in buying". Buit I feel bad if I lie to them just to try out guitars and have a feel of the neck, or try, and be like "I'ma go buy it on the internet."
my guitar shop is great, the people are friendly, helpful and let me play any instrument I feel like on any amp. Great stuff.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I love them. One time, at the local Long & McQuade, I went in with my mom and my 3-yr old nephew. My nephew saw a mini-sized drumkit, and instantly ran over to start bashing on it. The manager of the place was sitting down playing a Fender, but instead of telling him to stop, he counted off a beat and had a jam session with him

They're all nice people. Sounds like you guys get jerks though.
has a terrible signature.
I love going into the actual shops, but the salesmen are usually idiots.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
There's usually one dickhead in every shop. There is also usually one cool guy, I look for him, but often I can't find them. If they are all real dicks I like to hang around asking stupid questions and trying everything.
the guys in the guitar shop in my area are very helpful and not arrogant at all

the only downside is it's the only guitar shop in my county.....not a good thing for shopping around
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
My guitar store kicks ass. Its an hour away but worth it. The salesmen know what they are doing. When I bought my amp the salesman didn't try to force me to buy me or pressure me at all. He also gave me his email and anwsered all my questions. Its called Axe Music. Its in Edmonton. I strongly reccomend it to anybody near edmonton and there is also one in Calgary. Also I got to meet Alexi Laiho, Roope Latvala, and Henka Seppela there.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I work in a guitar store, it's my job. I used to find guitar store workers very annoying and patronizing, so I try not to be. My other local store owner is awesome, he gives me discounts on everything like £75 off an Esquire.