this is probably a stupid question but...

I have an Ibanez bass with active pickups. a while ago the eq on it blew and I had to replace it. now I plugged it in last night and once again no sound, checked battery, cable, amp... nothing. this probably means that the eq blew again. I have neither the money nor the patience to buy a new one.

Is there any way to wire the pots\pickups passively? like use the capacitor based eq like in my guitar? or power the pickups but have an unpowered EQ? or any other solution Im not thinking of.
Last edited by somekid413 at Aug 31, 2009,
Im pretty sure that if you wire them passively, the output will be a lot lower and you will get almost no sound out of it, and the bit of sound you do get will sound like crap, so I wouldnt recommend it
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by somekid413
So my only realy option is just throw more money at replacing the preamp/eq...

or maybe some new pickups ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Yea, may as well just get passive pickups, no battery, no blown eq, its great!
Impossible is Nothing
hmmm... you folks may be onto something actually. it would def be cheaper. although probably destroy the resaleability of the bass.
Quote by somekid413
hmmm... you folks may be onto something actually. it would def be cheaper. although probably destroy the resaleability of the bass.

If its a high-end, quality bass and you plan on selling it, itd probably be worth it to replace the eq/preamp, but otherwise I'd go passive

Why does the preamp/eq keep breaking
Impossible is Nothing
If you're bothered about resale values then get a new EQ and just sell the thing, then get a bass with better electronics or just a passive bass instead.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
its a mid end bass an ibanez 405 5 stringer. but Im a guitarist and happened to get this on the cheap used in awesome condition. I replaced the eq with a fairly cheap artec when it blew, and now the artec blew. they are cheap but seem to get good reviews.
Quote by somekid413
its a mid end bass an ibanez 405 5 stringer. but Im a guitarist and happened to get this on the cheap used in awesome condition. I replaced the eq with a fairly cheap artec when it blew, and now the artec blew. they are cheap but seem to get good reviews.
Ibanez has a couple of different ways they did the 405, from what I can tell.

they had one with a centralized printed board with all the pots mounted on it:

And another with the eq on a board with connectors plugged into it:

If your bass is like the second drawing, you could simply disconnect the wire going to the tip of the output jack and the wire going to the wiper of the volume control and connect them together. The blender and volume control will still work. And your passive pickups will continue to work, without batteries.

No tone control, of course...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
damm... good passive pups are expensive, especially cuz this is a 5 string... I think i gotta replace the eq and suck it up.
well... turns out the eq is fine.upon a close inspection i saw that the wire from the output jack disconnected... after a quick soldering it was back to working!!

in this case just so anyone knows I am using an Artec preamp. sounds pretty good... and was like 30 bucks. its lasted for 6 months so far, and this little issue was my fault cuz i soldered it in originally. thats about it thanks everyone for your help.
Quote by somekid413
well... turns out the eq is fine.upon a close inspection i saw that the wire from the output jack disconnected... after a quick soldering it was back to working!!

in this case just so anyone knows I am using an Artec preamp. sounds pretty good... and was like 30 bucks. its lasted for 6 months so far, and this little issue was my fault cuz i soldered it in originally. thats about it thanks everyone for your help.

I'm thinking of getting an artex eq for my cheap bass. I got the artex AMG pickups and they seem to be working alright, although my soldering skills are giving me problems with them too XD.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
hahah yea... but with the eq you really dont need to solder, except for the pups, the original jack in my bass was much better than the one that came with the preamp. but yea its recommended if you dont want to spend 120 on a bartaloni or wahtever.