Hi, I've written some stuff for my band and plan on recording, so I was wondering if the frequency range for the mics we have is enough for also recording bass and drums.

We have a shure pg58, pg 57 and 2 pg 48s.
Many bands don't mic bass amps, try DIing it and use BIG, which is an amp simulator for bass that is extremely good.

Of course it's on www.acmebargig.com

The mics are decent for other recording, but if you can, get a condencer for vocals.

You will probably need more mics for the drums, but im no drum expert.
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 31, 2009,
Many soundcards have power on the mic inputs ( that is what distingushes
them from Line inputs, although some soundcards have power on the line
inputs) with isolating caps in the sound card.
My MAudio transit has 2V on each of the inputs with an internal
isolating cap. HOwever, it is also a line input, which is about 35dB
quiter than one would like a microphone to be. (It will take between .7
and 5.5 V peak to peak to drive the input to maximum-- it really needs a
preamp on most electret microphones.
That 2V is a pain in the but if you do have a microphone since you have
to run the preamp into it with a non-polarized capacitor isolation.
Note that some microphone inputs are stereo, not mono, and put power on
both inputs.
The OP never told us what microphone they bought, not what soundcard
they are trying to drive it with, despite being asked to do so.
none of those will sound very good on the kick drum or bass cab. for bass just DI it. kick drum mics generally have much larger diaphragms to really get those low frequencies. you would probably need some condensers for drum overheads too. see if anyone you know could loan you 2.

they'll work for everything else. they're far from the best, as condensers will most likely work better on vocals and anything acoustic. however, there have been some big name people who do vocals on dynamics. it just depends on your voice.
It certainly can't hurt to try. If you can't get a good bass drum sound with any of them, record it anyway and try the demo of Drumagog on the bass drum track - with this method you could get an amazing kick sound using a $5 computer desk mic! The demo has a 14-day limit so remember to bounce it down before it expires...

Of course, that will only work properly if your interface handles more than one simultaneous input. If you're using a mixer to submix down to a single stereo input, you can pan everything hard right except the kick, which you pan left. That way you've at least separated the kick drum to work on, but you'll lose the stereo of the overheads.

I recently got a surprisingly decent kit sound using four dynamics (2 SM58s. a PG48 and an high-quality Sennheiser) the other day - one on the kick, one near the snare/hihat and two overheads. Had to ramp up the gain a bit on the overheads, so they needed a bit of noise removal afterwards but otherwise got great results. Without condenser overheads you get a very tight dry sound though, so you'll probably want a dark reverb and a fair bit of compression for heavier styles.