So, is there a special way to get famous death metal clank? Does strings affect it? And is there special amp to get it? Tell me these things
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Lots of treble and (high?) mids, preferably with new strings and pick hard. Or if you use fingers then hook your finger just a luttle under the string so the string bounces back and hits the frets/fretboard(but just a little).
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 31, 2009,
Yes, you need to turn your "highs" up on the equalizer, make sure you have low action. If you play with your fingers, you just need to play hard.
Technique gets you most of the way there. Hit the strings down hard onto the frets instead of stroking them. It helps to attack the strings near to the neck as well.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Extremely low action, low tunings, Light-Medium stainless steel strings. Then play the strings really hard, like almost a quick punch/slap but with your fingers. Personally I can't stand the sound, but Alex Webster sure knows how to do it.
Im trying to get sound similar as Alex webster... I should call him and ask
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by Gessu
Im trying to get sound similar as Alex webster... I should call him and ask

You can pretty much do that, he answers quite a few questions on the CC forums.

But +1 to all the suggestions so far, though gilly_90's suggestion to kinda pop the strings seems much more difficult than just using enough force to push the strings down
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
There's a really in depth guide on TB that I have bookmarked. I'd give a link but I'm not sure if the mods would let me.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
The definitive guide:
1. Bass with humbuckers. Use the bridge one. That really helps
2. Low action.
3. Set the "tone/trebble" knob on the bass at max.
4. On the amp, EQ like this - more mids, halfway trebble, little less than halfway bass.
5. When plucking, the strings, don't pull up like usuall, but hit the string with a downward motion.
It doesn't really have much to do with eq, or strings. You just need low action, so that the string clank against the fretboard when you pluck hard.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
You need:
Low action
Aggressive finger picking technique.
High Treble and lower bass, with highish mids.
Humbuckers (preferably at the bridge).
Quote by Hobble
It doesn't really have much to do with eq, or strings. You just need low action, so that the string clank against the fretboard when you pluck hard.

Not necessarily true. You don't get that "clank" if you have your "highs" cut like I do.
Last edited by sn4x at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Hobble

The whole point of it is to have as much attack as possible to cut through. Lots of mids, treble will help this, which is done with EQing and steel strings.

Humbuckers aren't necessary, but just generally higher output pickups with a more aggressive sound should work.

Also, if you can, turn off the tweeter of your amp. A lot of death metal players who attack like this turn it off to calm the treble a bit.

But seriously, low action is the best way to get it. Otherwise, your hand will tire from needing to hit the strings really hard, and you won't get the clank consistently.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1