Hi, can someone please explain to me why G Jazz minor can be used over the chords D7 and C7? Thanks. Oh and whilst I'm at it could you have a song in the key of G Jazz Minor, or would it just be in G minor?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
In jazz and blues (and consequently alot of rock music) songs are often based around a "1-4-5" form. 1 is the root note, in this case G, 4 is the fourth, in this case C, and 5 is the fifth, in this case D. Because these chords are very closely related to the root, G, the G minor scale will work over all three. As far as the "7" chords go, those are just very common chord shapes in jazz.
And for the "Jazz Minor" that usually refers to the melodic minor scale, which is only a minor (or flatted) third. This isn't really just "G minor" which usually has a minor sixth and seventh as well.
On your first question: Cause you can form D7 and C7 with G jazz minor (I thinks)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
because a G jazz minor (or ascending melodic minor) contains the notes: G,A,Bb,C,Db,Ebb,F. D7 contains D,F#,A,C, and C7 contains C,E,G,Bb. as you can see, each chord contains notes from the scale except the 3rd, which allows you to play over them easily (as long as you avoid dissonance against the 3rds)
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
D7 and C7 work because they are the V and IV chord of G minor (the tonic).
could you have a song in the key of G Jazz Minor, or would it just be in G minor?

It would just be G minor. Typically, the only chords used from melodic minor are the IV and V chords, but even if they are used the key is still just minor.

EDIT:
G jazz minor (or ascending melodic minor) contains the notes: G,A,Bb,C,Db,Ebb,F.

No it doesn't. It contains the notes G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F#.
Last edited by KillahSquirrel at Aug 31, 2009,
As has been said you can play the G melodic minor over C7 and D7 because all of the chord tones are in the G melodic minor scale. You probably wouldn't use G melodic minor over D7 because there is a minor 6th between the Bb and D which sounds pretty naff on a D7 chord, so it is possible, but it is rarely done.

Typically, the only chords used from melodic minor are the IV and V chords, but even if they are used the key is still just minor.

This is incorrect, rarely is the 5th mode (and chord that can be considered to be derived from it) used. But aside from that, most of the others are used.

It has been said that 4 5 1 is the standard progression is jazz... this is wrong. 2 5 1 progressions crop up all the time and can really be considered the basis for much of jazz music. It should really be stressed though that you can't write progressions in a melodic minor scale, they are just alterations (albeit very common ones) to a minor scale.
This is incorrect, rarely is the 5th mode (and chord that can be considered to be derived from it) used. But aside from that, most of the others are used.

What? The V chord is used all the time in minor keys, and the V-i cadence is used all the time. Even in the 2 5 1 progression that you were talking about, it is common in a minor key to play it as ii*-V-i.

I suppose you could argue that it is harmonic minor in that case, but there are other examples. The IV-V-i progression is common as well.
IV V I is common, but in jazz? The main progression is II V I without a doubt. That's all I was really trying to say. And yes there is obviously the V i cadence, however that is not derived from the melodic minor scale. As I was saying is that the 5th melodic minor mode is very rarely used. In a minor ii V i, most often the dominant would be an altered chord, obviously from the 7th melodic minor mode. I did not in any way mean that the V i progression is unimportant... that would be foolish in the extreme.