At higher volumes my SG Diablo is producing horrible amounts of squealing, high-pitched feedback even on clean settings. The feedback stops when I'm playing, but continues as soon as I stop, even with the strings muted. I know it must be something with the guitar because I've tried other guitars in the same amp, same settings, same effects and there's none of this feedback. The feedback is made worse with gain and distortion pedals.

I should point out too that the volume doesn't even have to be that loud for the feedback to start; I usually have the attenuator and volume knobs set at 12 o'clock (making the wattage 30W). Any ideas as to what's causing it? Would a noisegate help? Is my Diablo just yelling at me to get a better amp!? It's a Vox AD50VT btw.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
its not the amp. it might be some microphonic pickups. that could be the problem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
This happens with me and my Classic 30 too... i don't know what causes it...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by randomhero93
its not the amp. it might be some microphonic pickups. that could be the problem.

I thought pretty much all pickups were potted these days? Is there a way of checking they're potted without having to physically take them off and check? They're Burstbucker Pros btw.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Maybe youre using a semi-acoustic or acoustic?

My semi also gets a horrble amount of feedback if i plug it into my small Roland Cube with volume at 9 and gain 12. If you then turn on the distortion you have to turn the volume all the way down, or you just play, then its ok
I have the same amp. It has a built in noise-gate. Have you ever messed around with your guitars internal components? Maybe some soldering or sheilding came loose inside somewhere?
CrankitUP - Nah, it's a solidbody.

Tedward - I'll have a look.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Nah, the wiring inside is perfect. I also tried the noisegate on the amp, which I forgot about. It only stops the squealing at really high levels, cutting my sustain short, which isn't ideal.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
As far as I knew the noisegate was always on?

But ya I don't like it either :P It just drains sustain.

Im not sure what could be wrong with your guitar. It could be anything really. Id take it to a shop.
Well, by default the noise gate is on. I had it turned down completely because of the sustain issue, plus I never really needed it.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
idk, my noise gate doesn't drain. mine actually helps sustain. with it off, it was pretty decent sustain, but with it on, it added sustain.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Dont mean to hijack the thread but how do you turn it off? Do you have to open up the amp?
No no, I just turned it the whole way down. You'll know it's off, the amp will start to hiss slightly more. I prefer my tone with it off.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT

I have no NoiseGate control on my amp? I must have an older model or something.
Put the amp in effect bypass mode and hold down the 'Tap' function. With it held down, turn the little knob you use for controlling effect parameters to control the noise gate. Turning it anti-clockwise all the way turns off the noise gate.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT