Hi Everyone

This question has been bugging me for ages, what are the names of the modes for the harmonic and melodic minors?
I know there are names for them but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
be careful, though.

people have different names for things..

eg
altered dominant=super locrian= diminished wholetone
or
aeolian b5 = locrian natural2
confusing... but AWESOME
Quote by Ribcage

on wikipedia they use a - symbol for minor, instead of a lowercase m like normal people.

i thought '-' WAS the normal symbol before I started highschool...
in a lot of jazz sheet music you come across that more often
Last edited by mdwallin at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by mdwallin

i thought '-' WAS the normal symbol before I started highschool...
in a lot of jazz sheet music you come across that more often

Yeah I asked my music teacher about this today and she was all like "+/- for scales, nothing/m for chords, something something conservatory something."

I think it should just be nothing for any major, m for any minor.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
YEah there are lots of different names and I think you can get away with anything that describes well what you're doing.

For example the fourth mode of the harmonic minor scale would be
W H W+H H W H W = 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7 = Dorian #4 cause it's the dorian mode with a sharp fourth. You could go for something like "Lydian b3 b7" or "Lydian minor b7" but that's getting too complex when we can more easily call it Dorian #4.

The fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale is
H W+H H W H W = 1 b2 3 4 5 6 b7
The root position seventh chord formed by this scale is a dominant seventh chord. It is then a kind of dominant scale and if we note that it also has the b2 which is a characteristic feature of the phrygian mode then we could call this "Phrygian Domimant" From this name we can deduce that being "dominant" in quality means it has a 1 3 5 b7 being Phrygian in quality means it has a b2 so we know from the name it has a 1 b2 3 5 b7. All we are missing is the 4 and 6 degrees and since we have no information we assume they are major or perfect in quality.

The melodic minor is similar

The fifth mode of the melodic minor is
W W H W H W W = 1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7 Again we have a dominant quality in the root position seventh chord. We then need to find some way of noting the b6. We could simply call it "dominant b6" or "dominant minor 6". Or we could look at the whole thing and compare it to the Mixolydian mode but with a b6 and give it a name like "Mixolydian b6". It is also very much like the natural minor with a raised third but that defeats the purpose of the name "minor" when describing a scale which describes the root triad as minor in quality.

Anyway you don't really need to memorize any of the names as long as you know the modes of the major scale and what different terms like "minor" "diminished" "dominant" etc mean when referring to a scale. From there you should be able to come up with names for what you are doing or figure out what other's are talking about with relative ease.
Si