Hey people, I need your help. I've been looking into getting a new amp, but realized I know very little of them, so now, here's my question. What are the best amps for metal? Of these which would be the most versatile?(For example if I want to play blues one day, metal the other and jazz the next) Also please do not recommend spider series line 6 amps because I am looking for a tube amp and I've had one of those modeling amps before and I am looking for an upgrade. Thanks guys and please let me know.

hey guys sorry for being so vague. My budget is ~1200ish and I play thrash metal. I am looking for a crap load of crunch (something close to Gary Holt) and yes I was referring to the spider series. I also looked into mesa's but, saw so many models I had no Idea where to start.
Last edited by megano28 at Sep 1, 2009,
Mesa

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Bugera seems good for a cheaper amp.

Mesa Boogie is the quintessential metal amp.

Orange amps can get pretty heavy.

Peavey amps are what most Bugeras are modelled after.

But almost any amp can play metal, depending on how you set it up and what genre of metal you play.
I personally like VHT or Fryette. The Sig: X is amazing. It can get extremely brutal, but it also has one of the best cleans I've ever heard. Unlike most high gain amps, it doesn't get sound thin when using a moderate amount of gain. It's extremely sensitive to your playing and your guitar. The two gain knobs per channel makes it extremely versatile. The Deliverance is also like that but it's a single channel and lacks a lot of features of the Sig:X. I haven't tried any Pitbulls but I've only heard good things about them.
Quote by megano28
Hey people, I nedd your help. I've been looking into getting a new amp, but realized I know very little of them, so now, here's my question. What are the best amps for metal? Of these which would be the most versatile?(For example if I want to play blues one day, metal the other and jazz the next) Also please do not recommend and line 6 amps because I am looking for a tube amp and I've had one of those modeling amps before and I am looking for an upgrade. Thanks guys and please let me know.

You are aware that Line 6 makes amazing amps right? I would have said Vetta
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I personally like VHT or Fryette. The Sig: X is amazing. It can get extremely brutal, but it also has one of the best cleans I've ever heard. Unlike most high gain amps, it doesn't get sound thin when using a moderate amount of gain. It's extremely sensitive to your playing and your guitar. The two gain knobs per channel makes it extremely versatile. The Deliverance is also like that but it's a single channel and lacks a lot of features of the Sig:X. I haven't tried any Pitbulls but I've only heard good things about them.

Aaron Turner of ISIS uses the Pitbull with a Sunn o))) cab, and IMO it is one of the most godly tones known to mankind.
These are a couple of 'best amps':
- mesa roadking
- mesa mark V
- Engl SE
- Diezel VH4
- Diezel Herbert
- H&K Triamp
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Shiva
- Splawn nitro
- Splawn quickrod
- VHT Pittbull

If you want versatility, I think your best bet is a Engl SE or a Diezel VH4. these are imo out of this list the ultimate and most versatile metal amps.
Engl:
http://www.music123.com/Engl-Special-Edition-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-481489-i1322976.Music123
Diezel:
http://www.synergyguitars.com/Diezel-Amplifiers/Diezel-VH4-Amplifiers.htm
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 31, 2009,
check my thread.

link in sig
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Metlhead443
You are aware that Line 6 makes amazing amps right? I would have said Vetta

Maybe he means the Spiders.
Anyway the Peavey Vypyr series are good cheap amps and they can play metal fine. But if you want something a bit higher-end check out the Peavey Valveking 112.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Line 6 Vetta
Line 6 HD147
No, they're not bad amps. In fact, they're probably the best amps you can buy for the price period.
Peavey Vypyr, yes, but it's got an open back, it's quite loose sounding. If you closed the back it would be a superb budget metal amp. Mine does saturated tones very well.
And for the love of God don't get a Valveking, it's really mediocre. Muddy as all get out stock, there are so many better amps out there for the price, especially if you look used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Tedward
Aaron Turner of ISIS uses the Pitbull with a Sunn o))) cab, and IMO it is one of the most godly tones known to mankind.

The guys from Unearth used Deliverance 120s. But they stopped because they were too tight. They also used Pitbulls and Framus Cobras at one point. But now they're using 5150s. It seems like they went 5 steps back. I think VHTs offer amazing tone, but they're also really transparent. No amount of gain (and they do have a lot) will cover up bad playing. For playing metal, you need to be exceptionally good. You have to be extremely conscious and consistent with your picking technique.
Quote by LP_CL
These are a couple of 'best amps':
- mesa roadking
- mesa mark V
- Engl SE
- Diezel VH4
- Diezel Herbert
- H&K Triamp
- Bogner Uberschall
- Bogner Shiva
- Splawn nitro
- Splawn quickrod
- VHT Pittbull

If you want versatility, I think your best bet is a Engl SE or a Diezel VH4. these are imo out of this list the ultimate and most versatile metal amps.
Engl:
http://www.music123.com/Engl-Special-Edition-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-481489-i1322976.Music123
Diezel:
http://www.synergyguitars.com/Diezel-Amplifiers/Diezel-VH4-Amplifiers.htm

It seems most people actually prefer the Invader or the Savage to the SE. Apparently, the SE doesn't sound nearly as organic as the others

+1 to all the amps though.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Blackstar Series One. The 200 watter is amazing.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
ENGL, Diezel, Marshall, Mesa.

Best Metal Amps (not necessarily in that order)
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
hey guys sorry for being so vague. My budget is ~1200ish and I play thrash metal. I am looking for a crap load of crunch (something close to Gary Holt) and yes I was referring to the spider series. I also looked into mesa's but, saw so many models I had no Idea where to start.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I like PEAVEY. .

this kind has some sound to make better quality for hammer on skill
I love my Road King, but it cost me way too much. It's one of those things, y'know? And I doubt I could love my own child more than I love this amp (just kidding!).

BUT, for my backup I have two others - Peavey 6505+ and a Bugera 6262. Both are amazing as well, but they don't have the versatility of my Road King. The Bugera is really good for a more "brit" sound, but it can get really heavy. I usually do alot of Van Halen covers on that one, stuff like that. Peavey's are the poor man's rectifier. It's pretty metal.

My Road King II set me back 2,000, not including the cab (Retail Price is 2,600ish I believe)
Bugera was $650 for me... Not sure what retail was.
Peavey 6505+ was about a grand.

Again, not including cabs, lol
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
you need to try out a Fryette Pittbull UL or CLX.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by no.mop
It seems most people actually prefer the Invader or the Savage to the SE. Apparently, the SE doesn't sound nearly as organic as the others

+1 to all the amps though.

i haven't tried the invader or the savage, but i've got a savage se (which is supposed to sound like a smoother/more organic savage), and i always thought the SE also sounded badass. just the price is the problem, if you really want the engl sound you can get it for quite a bit less with one of engl's cheaper amps, and that'd leave you enough to get another amp aimed at other tones...

but i agree with LP_CL's list, you have an awful lot of options at that kind of budget. Even at $1200, you have quite a few, and if you go used, a lot more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?