Look at some other Prestige Ibanezes. They're the same quality as sigs but less expensive than since you're not paying for the name on the headstock. I personally would go for the S5470, RGA321, RG3620Z, or the RGT320Z. You may even be able to get a J. Custom for around the price of the more expensive Prestiges. Use the money you're saving towards a new amp.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 31, 2009,
I would go for the ESP, it's a bit more of a metal guitar than the JEM.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Look at some other Prestige Ibanezes. They're the same quality as sigs but less expensive than since you're not paying for the name on the headstock. I personally would go for the S5470, RGA321, RG3620Z, or the RGT320Z. You may even be able to get a J. Custom for around the price of the more expensive Prestiges. Use the money you're saving towards a new amp.

THis.

Your amp is going to be the main driving force behind your tone and versatility
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
JEM7 all the way. One of the best guitars I have ever played. You might want to check on an older JP7 though, those are really sweet as well.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Its gonna be a gift so i wont have left over money.
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Get the Horizon, it's an awesome guitar.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by JELIFISH19

This.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by JELIFISH19

S540

+1 to the new amp though. If you ended up getting anything with EMGs, you'd be sorely disappointed in your tone.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
My vote goes to the Horizon. But i'd considder a USA Soloist. Imo, that would be even better.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 31, 2009,
I was in exactly your position about a month ago...
I tried out both (as well as a few others) and I got the Horizon. No regrets. The neck may be thicker but it doesn't really slow you down that much, and it just sounds much better than the Jem. I found the Jem only really worked for leads, whereas the Horizon does both comfortably.

I found that the Soloist really wasn't any better, and seeing as it's more expensive I ruled that out pretty quickly. To me it also felt 'slower' than the others...

Also, if you want to see pictures of a Horizon in real life, just PM me. The picture on the website really doesn't do justice.
Last edited by metallicaddict at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by metallicaddict
I tried out both (as well as a few others) and I got the Horizon. No regrets. The neck may be thicker but it doesn't really slow you down that much, and it just sounds much better than the Jem. I found the Jem only really worked for leads, whereas the Horizon does both comfortably.

I found that the Soloist really wasn't any better, and seeing as it's more expensive I ruled that out pretty quickly. To me it also felt 'slower' than the others...

Also, if you want to see pictures of a Horizon in real life, just PM me. The picture on the website really doesn't do justice.

i play both rhythm and lead on my jem without any tonal difficulties you just need to learn to use the volume a tone controls and the pup selector
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i play both rhythm and lead on my jem without any tonal difficulties you just need to learn to use the volume a tone controls and the pup selector

Yes, I agree people just assume that since it was built for a shredder, it's a bad guitar for a rhythm guitarist.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by mexican_shred
THis.

Your amp is going to be the main driving force behind your tone and versatility

What (s)he agreed to.
I play a ESP Horizon FR-II and I can tell you the guitar is awesome, it is beautifully crafted and sounds awesome!!!
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Quote by LP_CL
My vote goes to the Horizon. But i'd considder a USA Soloist. Imo, that would be even better.

+X^0*10,000,000
Quote by ibanezgod1973

i knew I see you iin this thread.

I would get the JEM......it has good wood, awesome neck, bad ass pickups, and probably the best floating bridge on the market today. There is a reason Vai has been using them for over 20 years.

BTW...its not just a lead guitar.....it just has the best lead sound ever so people think it is only a lead guitar. It does rythm really well. Listen to some of Vais heavy songs and you can get a feel of what kind of tones to can get from that guitar.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by metallicaddict

Maybe it was just the amp I was playing through but the Jem's rhythm tone definitely sounded much weaker than the Horizon's.
I'm not saying it's bad, just not as good.
Gear:

ESP Horizon FR (Snow White)
Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
Quote by metallicaddict
Maybe it was just the amp I was playing through but the Jem's rhythm tone definitely sounded much weaker than the Horizon's.
I'm not saying it's bad, just not as good.

Did you adjust the amp settings at all when playing the JEM? Also was it the same amp and settings used when testing the Horizon?
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
i knew I see you iin this thread.

I would get the JEM......it has good wood, awesome neck, bad ass pickups, and probably the best floating bridge on the market today. There is a reason Vai has been using them for over 20 years.

BTW...its not just a lead guitar.....it just has the best lead sound ever so people think it is only a lead guitar. It does rythm really well. Listen to some of Vais heavy songs and you can get a feel of what kind of tones to can get from that guitar.

Vai hasn't been using that guitar for over 20 years. I'm not sure when the JEM7 was introduced, but he was using basswood JEMs before that. He still uses basswood JEMs today. There's only 1 alder JEM and there are more than 20 basswood JEMs. Vai actually only uses one alder JEM (Evo), the other ones he uses are all basswood. And if you see Vai playing a white guitar, that doesn't mean it's Evo. Flo is his other white JEM. It's a refinished Floral Print JEM (basswood) that looks just like the JEM7V. All of the Universes and even the new fixed bridge JEM are also basswood. I really don't consider the JEM7VWH to be "his" tone. I think he just got lucky with wood and grew attached. His JEM7V is actually falling apart beyond repair and there's a crack in the body that almost goes through the length of the body. But doesn't get a new one. He has replaced the neck a few times. I think there's some sentimental value or something. That's the only way to really explain his behavior when it comes to that guitar and the other ones he designs. He also uses a variety pickups. The JEM7V isn't really "his" tone.

I also heard that the JEM7V isn't good for rhythm depending on the amp. The Evos are pretty trebly. Alder is also a bright wood. People say that it can get harsh. Right now, he uses a Carvin Legacy which is a pretty dark and has a lot of emphasis on the low-mids. I think he was using Bogners before that. You really have to look at someone's whole rig and not just the guitar and pickups.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Vai hasn't been using that guitar for over 20 years. I'm not sure when the JEM7 was introduced, but he was using basswood JEMs before that. He still uses basswood JEMs today. There's only 1 alder JEM and there are more than 20 basswood JEMs. Vai actually only uses one alder JEM (Evo), the other ones he uses are all basswood. And if you see Vai playing a white guitar, that doesn't mean it's Evo. Flo is his other white JEM. It's a refinished Floral Print JEM (basswood) that looks just like the JEM7V. All of the Universes and even the new fixed bridge JEM are also basswood. I really don't consider the JEM7VWH to be "his" tone. I think he just got lucky with wood and grew attached. His JEM7V is actually falling apart beyond repair and there's a crack in the body that almost goes through the length of the body. But doesn't get a new one. He has replaced the neck a few times. I think there's some sentimental value or something. That's the only way to really explain his behavior when it comes to that guitar and the other ones he designs. He also uses a variety pickups. The JEM7V isn't really "his" tone.

I also heard that the JEM7V isn't good for rhythm depending on the amp. The Evos are pretty trebly. Alder is also a bright wood. People say that it can get harsh. Right now, he uses a Carvin Legacy which is a pretty dark and has a lot of emphasis on the low-mids. I think he was using Bogners before that. You really have to look at someone's whole rig and not just the guitar and pickups.

Yea....thanks for the info but I already knew all that. What I meant was he has been using the JEM line of guitars for over 20 years and for someone as picky as him to continue using that line when he could prob get any company to endorse him tells you something about that line of guitar and Ibanez. Sorry for any confusion.

I still think the JEM will sound better. Even if it is Basswood and not Alder. I actually prefer basswood over other types of wood. And the EVO PU's are not that trebely. I have them in my RG and they are great. IF anything were to be too trebely it would be an amp setting not the PU itself. But those PU's do scream.

Also, it depends on which EVO PU's you are talking about because there are 2 diff versions...the old ones (the ones I have) and the newer ones which are supposed to be less aggressive sounding. Less highs and more mids and lows.

He is using the Carvin Legacy 2 now, which is a great amp. LOUD!!!! Dave Weiner even uses that amp now because he and Vai both think it is one of the best amps available, and at a great price I might add.

You are correct about the Bogners, he started using those back in the day when he was with Zappa. But he also used to use a lot of Marshall amps when recording cd's.

I agree that you have to look at someones main rig, but the Evo PU's really do get you close to his sound even without the Legacy amp. After mine were put in I couldn't believe how similar my sound got to his..in every aspect.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Jem guitars 1st became available in `87 and the jem7v wh in `93, jellifish mentioned the vai legacy amps have you seen the price now, dirt cheap for a ace amp...i`m getting one really soon.

Dave actually uses vht heads.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
Jem guitars 1st became available in `87 and the jem7v wh in `93, jellifish mentioned the vai legacy amps have you seen the price now, dirt cheap for a ace amp...i`m getting one really soon.

Dave actually uses vht heads.

They are cheap....I am in the works of saving up for the Legacy 2-12 combo amp right now.

Then time to save for MY JEM, so i can rub it in Ibanezgods face like he does to me
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
OHHHHHH!!!!!! You son of a bitch!!!!!

Can you take any closer pics so I can actually drewl on my monitor? HAHAHA!!!!!

You know what I think I love most about this guitar.....and I'm not even sure as to why...but the cut out scoops behind the bridge....it just looks so much better than 1 large cavity cut out. Well that and the gold hardware, and the vine inlays, and the PU...ok its my dream guitar..what can I say.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001

You know what I think I love most about this guitar.....and I'm not even sure as to why...but the cut out scoops behind the bridge....it just looks so much better than 1 large cavity cut out. Well that and the gold hardware, and the vine inlays, and the PU...ok its my dream guitar..what can I say.

Don't worry.... you've said enough already.....
Quote by mamosa
Don't worry.... you've said enough already.....

Hey mamosa.......who is the lady in your avatar?

She looks so familiar but I can't figure out who she is.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Hey mamosa.......who is the lady in your avatar?

She looks so familiar but I can't figure out who she is.

Look at my user title.....
The Jem's are great guitars, and the middle pickup is something half of Ibanez's prestige line has. You gotta ask yourself is the Jem worth $500+ over the price over most of the prestige models.

The 1570 is near identical as the JEM, all it needs is a pickup change, and it's under $1000. The RG1550 is another great option, still priced well under a JEM. ETC.... Ibanez's has a little secret not known to most people. The RG3xx series and other "lower end" models with a pickup change and tremolo replacement will be a phenomenal guitar. I would put my RG320FM w/ edge pro against any JEM and Prestige model as far as overall playability and quality. Most guys can't tell the difference and wouldn't know it's a $380 guitar with a few hundred dollars in it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i think there`s a world of difference between a rg1570 and a jem, yes they have edge pro`s and pups are easily upgradeable, but what the rg1570 doesn`t have is the same neck profile, the alder body with only a 1-2mm basswood verneer for cosmetic purposes, i`ve played nearly every prestige model ibanez has released and there was only 1 other that stood up to the jem in terms of the neck (that`s what the prestige bit means is the way they finish the neck) and it wasn`t even a solid body - the george benson model.
why did i choose a jem `cos of the neck which is what we are in contact with mostly.
i played a j.custom one day and the floral inlays were a bit of an eye sore.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
You need a better amp to get the best out of either of those...
Either way, the Jem is really overpriced, and sounds pretty thin to my ears. Lovely neck, but I'm not a huge fan. I'd prefer the Horizon, but I really dislike active pickups.
Some of the Prestige models and the J custom line sound pretty viable... I'm not really a shredder, and I suppose Tom Anderson and Suhr are out of your price range?
I suppose you could look at some second hand PRS Models, or maybe a musicman axis...

Hope this helps.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by srob7001

Same here. Can't WAIT til I can afford one.
My vote is for the horizon hands down, when buying such a high end guitar, I just cant justify having someone else's sig model guitar, I want my live shots to have kids looking at the Horizon II and saying "****, that's the dude from Lifeboats guitar", not "the dude from LB is using steve vai's guitar"... you know?

I don't feel like listing off other reasons, but if You really want an Ibanez, I'd look into the high end prestige line, however, I sold 2 of my prestiges once I got my Horizon.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I guess I'll repeat what most people are saying: with the JEM you are paying a lot extra for the name Vai/JEM, the monkey grip and the styling.

Whoever thought it was worth mentioning the wood - come on! It's painted alder (or basswood for some). Nothing exotic. You can pick up a nice piece of alder for $50, Ibanez likely buys them in huge quantities so pays a lot less. I think it would be worth mentioning if it had a nice maple top or something crazy like a koa body. Same goes for the neck, nothing spectacular, $30-40 tops.

Pros of a 7:
-Steve Vai
-Holds value well

Cons:
-Steve Vai
-More expensive because of features that will not make the guitar any better

If you like Vai and don't expect to be touring or trying to create a speciale image for yourself as a musician, get the JEM. But then you buy it as a fan, not if you want the best musical instrument available.
If I were you I'd look into other guitars and maybe changing the pick ups/bridge/whatever if you insist on the Vai factor.