I have been playing electric guitar for 2,5 years and now I discovered a big problem. For some reason I can't time to a recording. I really don't get how people ever can hold a note exactly as long as it is on the cd and then pick in sync the next note... I must admit, because there was always this problem with me I haven't practiced much along a cd instead of guitar pro because it's confronting for me. I feel really desperate Any help would be more then appreciated
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
You should start practising with a metronome, it'll improve your timing a lot more.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Tapping your foot or slightly head-banging helps myself
DO IT LIVE
learn to count beats, providing you can count to 16 you should be alright unless it`s a weird time signature
metronome
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
2 1/2 years and you can't play in time, eh? Back to basics. Strum the chords in time UNTIL YOU FEEL THE RHYTHM. Only when it becomes second nature should you attempt any lead work. Do this to simple rock songs with easy, even timing. If you know a bassist or a drummer, listen to them and how they time what they do. I know it sounds simplistic but if you are to improve at all, you have to get such basics right first.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Don't worry, It'll be OK.

It's easy, actually. As you listen to the song, try to imagine playing it, hitting the notes as the song goes, "fantasising..."
The metronome idea is great, listen to Yerjam. And Lurcher too.
Play along to the songs, perhaps pick something easier.
Guitar pro is very useful, but you can't learn to play only from it, I keep telling it all the time but no one listens!

OK, no flaming please, but the thing that *might* help is... Guitar Hero.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
Quote by Petar
Don't worry, It'll be OK.

It's easy, actually. As you listen to the song, try to imagine playing it, hitting the notes as the song goes, "fantasising..."
The metronome idea is great, listen to Yerjam. And Lurcher too.
Play along to the songs, perhaps pick something easier.
Guitar pro is very useful, but you can't learn to play only from it, I keep telling it all the time but no one listens!

OK, no flaming please, but the thing that *might* help is... Guitar Hero.

I'm with you on that one actually. Guitar Hero can help you improve timing slightly in your picking hand, but it's no substitute for actually playing guitar along with a song and/or metronome.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I can play to a metronome actually. I have been doing that for a year by now
I can play a steady rhythm, 8th note poprock wouldn't be a big deal for me. But sadly that's not my genre The problem occurs at things that don't feel rhythmic. Like leads and single notes
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Aug 31, 2009,