Poll: How do you define your style?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you define your style?
Develop it yourself. Through self training and creation.
38 40%
Collaboration others styles into your feel.
53 56%
Clone a style you think sounds good.
3 3%
Voters: 94.
So here is my question to you:

As you know, everyone plays with their own style and feel. Is it more important to focus on your own style as an individual or a collaberation of other styles fused with your own feel?
the inevitable answer to an MT poll: "do both"
if your sound is entirely based on someone else then you are lacking creatvitity which is stifling in itself. if you play entirely on your own and don't have any influences you are essentially being arrogant enough to say "I know so much better than everyone else that i don't even need to listen to them"
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 31, 2009,
Well I think everyone invariably draws on their musical influences...consciously or subconsciously. One can't really say "Yeah everything that I am is 100% me"...unless they had never heard music in their life and had just picked up the guitar or something. But even then...
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Cody.Guitarist
So here is my question to you:

As you know, everyone plays with their own style and feel. Is it more important to focus on your own style as an individual or a collaberation of other styles fused with your own feel?

I think it's important to mature past the "this is more important than that" perspective. When it comes to making music, it's all important..... it's all relevant.

Listen to, learn, play, study music, be creative and allow yourself to develop your own style over time. Don't worry about it.... have fun.
shred is gaudy music
I think it is close to impossible not to be influenced in some way by artists from the past and present (unless you have spent all your life in solitary confinement without any outside influence). So developing a truly unique style I wouldn't say I have done... but incorporating what I have learned and liked to my own interpretation would be my answer. So the second choice i guess.
all the posts above are correct (this is dumb question).
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
all the posts above are correct (this is dumb question).

And this is a dumb response.

I was asking a simple question. Do you base your style off of other musicians or do you base it off of what you do on your own.

I can most certainly play something I've never heard before. Whether it was the influence of a particular musician or a particular style.

For the record: Musicians not= Styles. Though they play a particular role in defining that style. They do not all play the same.

I can go my whole life listening to 1000 different blues artists and learning from that. That would put me in the first answer. Or, I can follow the blues works B.B. King and base my style solely off that.

See what I mean?
Right now I would say my style is a mix between Slash, David Gilmour, and Eddie Van Halen. But I know in three months, it will be something completely different. I think all guitar players style is derived from their influences, whether they admit it or not.
i dont think you cant not do both. even if you dont try to, what you hear will influence your playing style. and theres nothing wrong with taking from other people. they did the same thing. but you should also spend time trying your own things.

i dont think you can really force it either though. your style comes over time. over the years, everyone you listen to kind of blends together. you will favor some people and some styles over others and that will make you the kind of player you are. i sound like a mix of eric johnson, clapton, jeff healey, SRV and hendrix. those are my main influences and at certain points you can hear them in my playing. but then every so often you'll hear some of me. obviously its all me, but i do have some tendancies and licks in my playing that ive seemed to have come up with on my own just by playing.

basically you just play and you go "ooo thats cool" and you keep doing it. maybe something will change over time. my virbrato style and technique has seemed to have changed every year.

so whats more important? well i think if you actually want to make it as a musician, having your own sound helps a lot. but then again, if what you want to do is sound like so and so, so be it. if you have fun, who cares.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i dont think you cant not do both. even if you dont try to, what you hear will influence your playing style. and theres nothing wrong with taking from other people. they did the same thing. but you should also spend time trying your own things.

i dont think you can really force it either though. your style comes over time. over the years, everyone you listen to kind of blends together.

if you have fun, who cares.

double negative overload!!

This is a good point though - if you have ever heard/played other peoples music you are influenced by it. I rarely think "i'm going to play this passage like hendrix and this next with a slash feel" but it just happens that way. Unless you are trying to emulate a particular sound your playing style will be a constantly evolving untamable animal. kinda like swine flu but with some overdrive :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
kinda like swine flu but with some overdrive :p
We need more microbiology discussions in MT!

To answer your question, it's ridiculous to think that you can develop a style that is completely independent of the styles of the music to which you listen.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 1, 2009,
I'm the dick who chose the last option
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by bangoodcharlote
We need more microbiology discussions in MT!

To answer your question, it's ridiculous to think that you can develop a style that is completely independent of the styles of the music to which you listen.

46% of the people who voted think otherwise lol.

I know what you are saying, but you can develop your own style... I mean... Blues didn't always exist. Jazz didn't always exist. Slap guitar didn't always exist.

These styles were created by a man who one day decided he wanted to be his own unique musician. And people loved it.
Quote by Cody.Guitarist
46% of the people who voted think otherwise lol.

I know what you are saying, but you can develop your own style... I mean... Blues didn't always exist. Jazz didn't always exist. Slap guitar didn't always exist.

These styles were created by a man who one day decided he wanted to be his own unique musician. And people loved it.

^ not exactly. It wasn't that simple. They weren't necessarily created by one man.

music develops.....and it doesn't develop by ignoring what everyone else is doing/has done.

listen to music.... learn it.... play it..... enjoy it...... allow yourself to develop & don't worry about it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 2, 2009,
Well done Elven.. hahahahaha.

Munky is right... so is *cough* Sue *cough* ahem... needed that. You are what you listen to, bottom line. Though you may just focus on one aspect... you draw them all into your playing in the long run
Quote by elvenkindje
I'm the dick who chose the last option

wtf!? why are you lying? i KNOW it wasn't you
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
yup, you play what you know. you don't have to be solely the sum of your musical interpretations but it is going to be in your playing somewhere. i know alot of my music has a 'tallica influence. so i try to put other stuff in the song that is very un-metallica to balance it out.

Both Jazz and Blues came from the mixing of African and European music and culture. They certainly had their influences.
Quote by flea's trumpet
wtf!? why are you lying? i KNOW it wasn't you

To get responses like these, haha.

I tend to agree with bangoodcharlote, on one condition and that is that you actually try to play the music you listen to. For example, I like golden earring, but I don't play their songs and don't have a clue how most of them go now that I don't hear it. I think my style isn't based on how they play, at all. Compare it to Dire Straits and I phrase a lot like that.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
To get responses like these, haha.

ahh, touche'
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
My style just kind of developed when making my own music. I like to use staccato in my solos, it's kind of unique in a metal solo to hear it. I didn't really try to make my own style, it just happened and I assume it will for most people.
when you are learning how to play, you are going to develope the style of the person/ group you learn from because you are taught that way but after you get past that point you can develope your own style by either doing what you like or mixing together the strengths of other peoples styles, i dont believe one is more "important" than the other, people develope their styles differently and either way it doesnt matter so long as you like what your doing
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated