Hey,
I was thinking of modding my Dean VMNTX & putting in some new pickups.

I was wondering how An active pickup in the bridge & a passive at neck works, Does it go well together ? More versatile? Will the middle positioning sound horrible?

Ive also heard that Active pickups have bad cleans, I need good Cleans as well as scorching distortion, If active pickups are indeed bad cleans, Any good high gain passive pickups you may recommend?

Thanks for all the help

Josh.
Gear :
Schecter Damien V-FR
Ibanez V70
Line 6 Spider III 15
Quote by Hanato
New BC Rich Guitar ?!
Why would you want a guitar that similtanously scratchs your arse, picks your nose and kills the guy next to you

Child Molester

|

|

|

|

V
don't. you'll have a huge volume difference. go all active or all passive
the duncan invaders are beefy.
analouge effects FTW!!

If you think Kurt Cobain was murdered put this in your sig.
I thought about the same thing, but I really don't have an answer. I would think that the electric current from the active pickup would interfere with the passive one (like when you have a power cable next to your guitar cable and it starts to get fuzzy). In all honesty though I have no idea.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
You can use them together, but you'll have a huge volume drop between the two. For the versatility, I'd suggest either EMGs with the 18V mod, or the new EMG-X series. Both are supposed to give you really good quality cleans.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I have an active pickup in the bridge & a passive in the neck on my Epi Korina Explorer. It works fine but in the middle position the EMG 81 in the bridge dominates. I can't hear the stock Epi neck pickup at all.

The cleans on the EMG 81 aren't very good but the 85, 60 & 89 have pretty good cleans. Doing the 18v mod helps the cleans alot too.

I can link you to a diagram for 1 active and 1 passive humbucker, 2 volumes, 1 tone and a Gibson style 3 way switch if you want.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-H4-Passive-Electric-Guitar-Humbucker-Pickup-101894889-i1169956.gc

Is this pickup any good?
Its said to have the scream of an active although it being a passive + Its cheap & has good reviews?

zakkwyldefan79: That would be very helpful, thanks
Gear :
Schecter Damien V-FR
Ibanez V70
Line 6 Spider III 15
Quote by Hanato
New BC Rich Guitar ?!
Why would you want a guitar that similtanously scratchs your arse, picks your nose and kills the guy next to you

Child Molester

|

|

|

|

V
Quote by bv310
You can use them together, but you'll have a huge volume drop between the two. For the versatility, I'd suggest either EMGs with the 18V mod, or the new EMG-X series. Both are supposed to give you really good quality cleans.

Not always. It depends on how it's wired and what pickups you're using. On my Epi Korina Explorer I used a 25K volume pot for the EMG 81 with no tone and I used 500k volume and tone pots for the passive pickup. The volume level of the pickups is actually pretty close.
zakkwyldefan79 : Thanks, that should Help

But any views on the EMG-H4?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG-H4-Passive-Electric-Guitar-Humbucker-Pickup-101894889-i1169956.gc

Its a passive EMG pickup, said to have the screams of an active + Its cheap & has good reviews.
Gear :
Schecter Damien V-FR
Ibanez V70
Line 6 Spider III 15
Quote by Hanato
New BC Rich Guitar ?!

Child Molester

|

|

|

|

V
I have very little experience with EMG HZ pickups. The one time I played a guitar with them in it, I didn't like them at all. I've heard alot of other people on UG say the same thing. I'd say play a guitar with HZ's in it and see what you think. You might like them.
the hz is fairly OK. I get why people don't like it. There are many better pickups out there, but it works for a lot of people. Active EMG's are about the same price anyways, and the 18volt mod kicks ass out of blackouts. Don't even think about getting blackouts. IMO they are way worse than EMG's for various reasons I won't get into.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Brian, if you can send me that diagram too, that would be cool.

Well, that'll teach me not to read an entire thread.