Ok, so i'm in the market for a new guitar (aren't we all).
This time, even though i *really* don't need another HH fixed bridge, i'm looking into getting an LP style guitar, my problem is i'm notoriously cheap.

Now, i ***Really*** don't need another 'cheap' guitar. i have 3 (squire strat, Ibanez artcore, dean vx) in addition to my lovely Gibson Flying v faded series, but i've heard quite a few good things about agile on and around the net, and some of them are Really quite beautiful to look at.

My question is this: quality wise, how would these 3 Les paul style guitars compare?

If i buy one at all it'll probably be an Agile, because i *really* don't want an epiphone, and as it stands i've got too many other things to save up for before i could buy a gibby LP like i want, so If i buy anything it'll either be an Agile AL-2000 in Wine red/spalted maple top, or their 'black beauty' style , and once i get the guitar i'll probly swap the bridge hum for a Burst bucker, and the neck for an EMG 60 passive and slap on some nice grover or planet wave tuners.

As far as construction, materials, and out-of-the-box sound goes, How does Agile compare to Epiphone, and Gibson respectively?
Would it be worth my time to buy the guitar and swap out those parts? or should i just wait and get a gibson , as i should have with my Dean Vx -- Gibson flying v?

Thanks in advance.
get it. most people once they get it they realize they dont have to swap anything out. except maybe the pickups but people do that on most guitars no matter what the price.
Classical Guitarist
you should get the blue or green tribal those are real head turners.

but anyways epiphone and agile are made in the same factorys so they are basically the same, some claim they are better. and imo i would rather get an agile over an epiphone just because its different then the usual.
My biggest concern is that i'll buy one, and never have any use for it at all, because of my gibson. I'm really looking for an instrument to act as my 'back up' guitar for gigs more than anything else because my V just doesn't cut every style, my dean is horrifically unreliable, my Ibanez is.. well... muddy as hell. and my strat, while it's very dear to my heart, should *NEVER* be played live, it's that awful by comparison.

I'm considering the Agile because the ones i've seen have been absolutely beautiful, i just don't wanna buy another 200 dollar POS that i'll never touch because it feels like what it is.
Instead of buying those pickups buy the AL-3000 model instead of the AL-2000. I have one, and its great out of the box. I just needed to adjust the action and intonation and it was good to go.
Actually, upon looking through a bit more that's probably exactly what i'll do.

The specific one i'm looking at is the AL 3000 CSB slim profile neck. http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000csbslim.html

Still a li'l twitchy about investing in it but i've got some time before i can really afford to spend the cash outright anyway.
Yeah I have the slim profile neck, and its definitely a better option if you don't like the thick 50s style necks found on some gibson les pauls.
Agile is about equal to good Epiphones, but cheaper.

However..

Good Gibson >> Agile

EDIT: Also, Kurt from Rondomusic is really great about returns and if it's not the guitar for you i'm sure he'd take it back. All you pay is shipping.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Aug 31, 2009,
If you don't want an Epi, then don't bother with Agile either. Epi cost more but you get the 'real' body shape, Agile is obviously cheaper - that's all there is to it, there's nothing else that will set them apart.

If you're used to a decent Gibson guitar and you're looking for a good back up to that, you should be looking at either another Gibson, an Epi Elitist, a higher end Tokai or something like an ESP or Carvin copy.

A lot of people do claim that Agiles (and Epiphones, come to that) can compete with some Gibsons, but in reality they can't, not on average. Generally speaking, the people making such claims are people who have bought an Agile/Epi/Rally/Vintage/etc right off the bat without testing much else and have almost certainly never played a Gibson, high end ESP, American Fender, etc. Occasionally, one in a million times, you'll find a really good Agile/Epi/etc that has completely lucked it's way through production, and with a few upgrades, those can sometimes compete with the very bottom end Gibsons. But the claims you see of people buying a random Agile LP copy and saying it's better than a Gibson LP Standard right off the bat, that's hyperbole.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Considering you ask Agile vs Epi vs Gibson and initially talked about looks... I can't take your thoughts on tone and playability seriously. So the quality doesn't matter. I also don't buy your "back up guitar" for gigs because if you were doing jobs you'd do a lot more than buy something like that.

Stop thinking about looks. Learn your tone woods. Piece a guitar together with the information you have gathered and see if there is one out there relatively close to your ideas. It may not have a Les Paul body, but if you want to be serious about what guitar you should get I suggest you vaguely follow something like I have just laid out.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
Quote by ToalNOOB
Stop thinking about looks. Learn your tone woods. Piece a guitar together with the information you have gathered and see if there is one out there relatively close to your ideas. It may not have a Les Paul body, but if you want to be serious about what guitar you should get I suggest you vaguely follow something like I have just laid out.

AMEN!!! brotha preach on....who gives a crap what a guitar looks like....if you had a guitar with dog poo smeared all over it and boogers stuck to the headstock dipped in vomit but it played amazing then you got an awesome guitar....go to guitar center and try out all the guitars in your price range....get one that feels good and plays good...if you don't like any don't buy anything keep waiting and saving for something u'll like and use....and if you already got a gibson don't back track bro....why not buy another faded v? And put a different set of pickups in it or something to make it sound a little different but don't buy something ur gonna never play
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
epiphone just released some new LP's. theres one with gibson burstbuckers. $900 if thats in yur range. i know its on MF, but i dont have a link. i think its called Epiphone '59 Les Paul.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
agiles are great the only problem is the electronics so a pickup swap would be necessary, its still cheaper than a gibson and in my experiance on par if not better than the gibson les paul standards ive played. However.... if you are putting an emg 60 passive and a burstbucker in it just get the cheapest one yo ucan find because its going to sound like rotting ass with those pickups.
~Defiant~
There are guitars out there called the Stellar Mercury that have the real les paul shape. They're essentially cheap MIC copies as well but hey... I mean, they're cheap. Dave Stephens who makes SD pickups uses one to test his PAFs vs. his replication pickups and says that his sounds better than his Epiphones.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you don't want an Epi, then don't bother with Agile either. Epi cost more but you get the 'real' body shape, Agile is obviously cheaper - that's all there is to it, there's nothing else that will set them apart.

If you're used to a decent Gibson guitar and you're looking for a good back up to that, you should be looking at either another Gibson, an Epi Elitist, a higher end Tokai or something like an ESP or Carvin copy.

A lot of people do claim that Agiles (and Epiphones, come to that) can compete with some Gibsons, but in reality they can't, not on average. Generally speaking, the people making such claims are people who have bought an Agile/Epi/Rally/Vintage/etc right off the bat without testing much else and have almost certainly never played a Gibson, high end ESP, American Fender, etc. Occasionally, one in a million times, you'll find a really good Agile/Epi/etc that has completely lucked it's way through production, and with a few upgrades, those can sometimes compete with the very bottom end Gibsons. But the claims you see of people buying a random Agile LP copy and saying it's better than a Gibson LP Standard right off the bat, that's hyperbole.

Being one of the few people who doesn't like Agile I was going to say something along these lines, but this goes into more detail than I was going to so I'm just going to repeat it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7