Hi - i'm looking for a good dedicated kick drum mic. It's for 2 venues, one is a bar which can take ~100 people, the other is a large hall (think school gym without the gym equipment) and can take ~1000 people.

we have a budget of £100, but would ideally like to spend a little less (so we can spend money on other things like stands etc.)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 31, 2009,
I can't recall the brand (AKG maybe?), they had a set of mics, usually had a snare mic, two D6s (upper and mid toms), D4 (low tom), and D2. The D2 rocks as a kick mic.

The issue with micing a kick is that you can get VERY muffled sounds, very boomy sounds, or very *whatever adjective you want* sounds. You have to play with placement a lot to get the tone you want.

If your kick drum has a front head on it with a smaller hole cut in it, I'd recommend going with the mic outside of the drums with the diaphram lined up with the hole, about an inch out of it. Otherwise, run a boom stand in through the hole and just play with the positioning.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
I can't recall the brand (AKG maybe?), they had a set of mics, usually had a snare mic, two D6s (upper and mid toms), D4 (low tom), and D2. The D2 rocks as a kick mic.

The issue with micing a kick is that you can get VERY muffled sounds, very boomy sounds, or very *whatever adjective you want* sounds. You have to play with placement a lot to get the tone you want.

If your kick drum has a front head on it with a smaller hole cut in it, I'd recommend going with the mic outside of the drums with the diaphram lined up with the hole, about an inch out of it. Otherwise, run a boom stand in through the hole and just play with the positioning.

Audix makes the D2, however, i would still go with the d112, to get of some boomyness and slecknes, make some cots like a tunnel around the bassdrum and place the mic inside, its a more focused tone.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I agree with cliff_em_all
Go for the AKG D112, its a little over your budget, but worth it, top pro studios even use that mic for mic'ing kick drums (Y)
My Gear

Guitars:
Dean Cadillac

Amp:
Marshall JVM 205H
2x12 Harley Benton Cab w/V30's
Thanks guys - i'll have a look into those and see how our budget fares. I've done a fair bit of drum mic'ing before, but just used whatever equipment we have, not really had responsibility over budget before now
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more