If I were to change this guitar's pickups, would it be a pretty alright guitar? I have one at the moment, and I don't want to upgrade to a whole new guitar, so I want to hear people's opinions on it.
Sending a dummy to my God.

It depends really, with lower quality amplifiers, you're not going to notice a big enough difference to warrant the expence of new pups... I remember years ago, I changed out my bc rich's pups for emg's, couldn't wait to get it home... plugged it in and I really couldn't notice a massive improvement in sound.

That said, if you have a reasonable amp, by all means upgrade, you should hear a difference... but it also depends on the guitar you're upgrading too, might not be worth it, it's about 120-200 quid for 2 new pups, for that sort of price, you could save that and put that towards a new amplifier, or a new axe of better quality.
Just my two pence.
Quote by Blast For Satan
It depends really, with lower quality amplifiers, you're not going to notice a big enough difference to warrant the expence of new pups... I remember years ago, I changed out my bc rich's pups for emg's, couldn't wait to get it home... plugged it in and I really couldn't notice a massive improvement in sound.

That said, if you have a reasonable amp, by all means upgrade, you should hear a difference... but it also depends on the guitar you're upgrading too, might not be worth it, it's about 120-200 quid for 2 new pups, for that sort of price, you could save that and put that towards a new amplifier, or a new axe of better quality.
Just my two pence.

Well, I'm going to be upgrading my amp to a Peavey Vypyr 30W soon.
But what I really want to know is if people here believe that an RG-120 is a respectable guitar when it's pups are upgraded (The neck pickup is horrible).

yeah pickup replacing is a very good idea
i replaced the pickups at my epiphone SG with gibson pickups its a massive difference
but they cost 220€
and i have a marshall 30W (not a very good amp)
Quote by protest000
Well, I'm going to be upgrading my amp to a Peavey Vypyr 30W soon.
But what I really want to know is if people here believe that an RG-120 is a respectable guitar when it's pups are upgraded (The neck pickup is horrible).

I own the same guitar, and I know what you mean about the pickups being horrible. Changing the pickups is a good idea if you know exactly what you want out of new ones. Also, pickup changes sound the most different if you're using a tube amp. However, a nice set of pickups will help your sound. If you want to thicken up the neck pickup and improve the harmonics on the bridge pickup, then look at a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. I briefly used those two in my RG120 before I put them in my RG350, and they were a huge improvement.

EDIT: One other thing you can do to improve the guitar's overall sustain and tuning stability is block the bridge and buy a set of nice locking tuners. At that point, the guitar is a pretty good instrument.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Aug 31, 2009,
Alright, once I get my new amp, I'm probably only going to have enough money for one pickup upgrade. Which would you guys say is more important-neck or bridge? (I play mostly metal stuff-think Protest the Hero)