I really like this amp for its nice smooth rock tones, and its a great price, i was wondering if anybody could give me a real insight on the higher gain part of the amp, like, can it do good chunky, and tight riffs and some more searing solos? If not i was gonna buy either a Blackstar High Gain Distortion pedal or an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal, does anybody have any experience with these pedals?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
go get a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 and use it on the Carvin's wonderful cleans
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
That thing has too much extra stuff that i wouldnt mess with, its cool, but i want something that specializes in the one thing ill need.
Jason Becker used them, so yeah, they can do metal.
Last edited by Rikki DeMartini at Aug 31, 2009,
Jason Becker isnt exactly the kinda of metal i was thinking.
It probably won't do modern metal without an extreme pedal, which I don't recommend imo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
It probably won't do modern metal without an extreme pedal, which I don't recommend imo.

what do you mean by extreme pedal? and why not?
I don't know about those particularly pedals, but I do know that the X100B takes pedals well. As previously mentioned, it's clean channel is extraordinary.
It's basically a JCM800. so with a boost you should get into some nice metal tones.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Od pedal + Sonic Maximizer (should)= metal. If not, a Voodoo choke will finish the equation. All IMO, of course.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Dude Jason Becker could do metal with an unplugged banjo

LMAO!!!thats a sig right there lol.
and yes if you think they cant do metal you are so wrong. listen to eleven blue egyptians and temple of the absurd. temple of the absurd is a venture into like death metal tone.
Classical Guitarist
With an OD as a boost in front of it, it should do fine. Don't put a distortion pedal through that
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
With an OD as a boost in front of it, it should do fine. Don't put a distortion pedal through that

I use one of cmatmods signa drives (tube screamer kinda OD) infront of my clean channel for some sweet ass blues and classic rock riffs. and the cmatmod brownie for distortion. Sounds fine to me albiet I need to do a bit more tweaking with the distortion, but then again its not really a straight up distortion pedal in my opinion. more like a high gain OD. Still sounds good to me.

But either way both pedals sound great to me. and depending how my lead channel is set up they sometimes even do well with that. But yeah the clean channels definately take to pedals well.

And the cleans are spectacular btw.

So if you get the OD pedal you want thats more geared towards metal you should be fine. Both mine kinda aren't geared for 100% metal
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Dragonis
I use one of cmatmods signa drives (tube screamer kinda OD) infront of my clean channel for some sweet ass blues and classic rock riffs. and the cmatmod brownie for distortion. Sounds fine to me albiet I need to do a bit more tweaking with the distortion, but then again its not really a straight up distortion pedal in my opinion. more like a high gain OD. Still sounds good to me.

But either way both pedals sound great to me. and depending how my lead channel is set up they sometimes even do well with that. But yeah the clean channels definately take to pedals well.

And the cleans are spectacular btw.

So if you get the OD pedal you want thats more geared towards metal you should be fine. Both mine kinda aren't geared for 100% metal

Yea, i was thinking about getting the blackstar throught the clean channel to get more of the darker metals and stuff. i was just wondering how heavy the carvin could get.
honestly it gets pretty heavy if you set the eq right and have the pedals to get what your looking for. trust me it will definately go where you want it to.

with just the two pedals i have and the clean channel of the amp I can go anywhere from bb king to hendrix to van halen to metallica kind of tones. just to give you a spectrum of sound (ranging from cleanest to heaviest in my opinion) that I myself have played on the amp. as for like modern metal, I wouldnt know because I dont play it and i've never set the amp up to do that. But with the right gear I dont see why It couldnt.

honestly I'm getting a mxr 10 band eq in the next few days. I could test it out for you if you wanna wait.

also giving me an example of what the sound spectrum your looking for would help me set mine up and tell you how it sounds. like name a few bands or somethin
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Dragonis
honestly it gets pretty heavy if you set the eq right and have the pedals to get what your looking for. trust me it will definately go where you want it to.

with just the two pedals i have and the clean channel of the amp I can go anywhere from bb king to hendrix to van halen to metallica kind of tones. just to give you a spectrum of sound (ranging from cleanest to heaviest in my opinion) that I myself have played on the amp. as for like modern metal, I wouldnt know because I dont play it and i've never set the amp up to do that. But with the right gear I dont see why It couldnt.

honestly I'm getting a mxr 10 band eq in the next few days. I could test it out for you if you wanna wait.

also giving me an example of what the sound spectrum your looking for would help me set mine up and tell you how it sounds. like name a few bands or somethin

That would be cool, and i wont be getting it for a while, so yea, i can wait.

the heavier stuff i play is like Lamb Of God, Metallica, All That Remains, and The Black Dahlia Murder.
short answer: yes, if you're willing to go the pedal route, the x100B has more than enough power/tone to get you what you're looking for. the active and graphic EQs enable me to get an amazing array of sounds out of this thing...while my band is not metal, it is ridiculously loud, and I use a lot of metal-ish riffs/sounds, and it never fails to hold up well AND be heard over the din of my bandmates.

amazes me how these amps are so overlooked, really.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
short answer: yes, if you're willing to go the pedal route, the x100B has more than enough power/tone to get you what you're looking for. the active and graphic EQs enable me to get an amazing array of sounds out of this thing...while my band is not metal, it is ridiculously loud, and I use a lot of metal-ish riffs/sounds, and it never fails to hold up well AND be heard over the din of my bandmates.

amazes me how these amps are so overlooked, really.

Dude I scored my entire half stack for 400 bucks. Crazy good investment if you ask me.

To me they are kinda like a mix between a marshall and a mesa. They do have their own unique sound. thats just kinda where they sit in terms of tone at least to my ears.

@Dimefan
Well like I said it will definately do metallica. I dont really listen to the other 3 but I'll check out some songs and let you know what I come up with. The 10 band eq should be here either tomorrow or the day after
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 1, 2009,
^ok man, thanks for all the help.

and to gregs, i do sometimes, but im hoping this thing can do some vai or im not getting it.
Quote by gregs1020
Behold all that is the X100B...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAJtu2nHLw

Every X100B thread gets this post...

haha I still love to watch that video ever since i got mine
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by gregs1020
who doesn't?

well yea, i know that. im just sayin, the main thing im worried about it getting the really heavy stuff, im not worried about the hard rock stuff.
then find a used 6505.

I asked if you considered Vai metal. So many people have different definitions of "metal". At one time, Black Sabbath was metal, some still think so, some consider it "classic rock".

So I asked.
Quote by gregs1020
then find a used 6505.

I asked if you considered Vai metal. So many people have different definitions of "metal". At one time, Black Sabbath was metal, some still think so, some consider it "classic rock".

So I asked.

well i do sometimes, but he does so many different things, that why i want a X100B, i dont want to do strictly metal and i like all that the different things it can do. plus the head is so much cheaper. i was just wondering so i could figure out if ill need a pedal.
as said on the first page, throw your favorite metal pedal in front of the orgasmic clean channel. The x100b is an awesome amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
as said on the first page, throw your favorite metal pedal in front of the orgasmic clean channel. The x100b is an awesome amp.

alright! ill do it!