Alright, so im going to be busking with my friend, we'll both be playing acoustic. ive busked a fair bit and ive always had one or two songs out of my set that make alot, while the rest dont do to well.

This time we've tried to piece together a set in which every song is a perfect busking song (you know the kind which everyone knows and gets you loads of cash )

So:

Stand by Me - Ben E. King

Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel

I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash

Three Little Birds - Bob Marley

I Wanna Hold Your Hand - The Beatles

Thats our definate's, we were thinking about either Don't look back in anger, or wonderwall, both by Oasis, but i thought neither of those are really as good as the other five. Has anyone got any other really great ones?

And the main question;

Good set or bad set?!
Last edited by aidan the perso at Aug 31, 2009,
the song unbelievable is good because every now and again you can shout - your unbelievable into the crowd - or general passers by.

i dont do much busking though, so i dont know - most buskers do oasis so i presume they should be in your set somewhere. maybe a hendrix cover? or bob dylan? could combine the 2 and do all along the watchtower - suprising amounts of people know them.
That isn't bad. I would've recommended putting some Shaw Blades in there, but oh well.

Good Luck
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Not a bad set, but I wouldn't enjoy it at all if ye put in those Oasis songs (but I hate Oasis)

If you don't mind more Beatles, try out ''All My Loving''.
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by CrazehSteve at Aug 31, 2009,
Hell, you could try:

Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins
Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins.

But yeah stay away from Oasis... it just seems overdone to me. And it's pretty boring to play imo.
The best busking songs (in terms of making money) are those which are best well known. Oasis is indeed overdone, but people know it, so if you know some play it. You may well find you get bored of the songs you're playing though. I busk with a friend too (they're on sax though) and we have 40 songs or so and still have gotten a bit bored of playing them, although you can do little things to keep you amused by it. I'd advise trying to find out as many songs as you both know and could perform together, and that'll make it much more entertaining for you.

If you want a song to add to your list... Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley? Goes down pretty well.
hey cheers everyone, sam I used to busk with a sax player, turned out to be a douche though so I stopped Isn't fingerpicking generally to quiet for busking??
Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan is a well known song.
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash is another well known song.

Both fun to play.
I'd say that one of my favourite busking songs is Just Like Heaven by The Cure. I have found that it suits the format of two acoustic guitars really well.
Fingerpicking can work for busking, depends where you are... you do have to put in effort to make it louder than usual, but remember it sounds louder to someone listening than to you. Although I wouldn't do a whole set of fingerpicked songs, but throwing a few in for variety when it's a little quieter is good.

Also, if you can do songs like summertime, fever or perhaps take five, older people also know them, and they tend to be best for giving money, but I still say just do as many songs as you can to keep it fresh for you.
Alright, spoke with my friend we've agreed to do Twist and Shout instead of oasis or i wanna hold your hand, may do some 12 bar blues type stuff while were out but it should be good fun, i've busked with a two song set before and still had a laugh (although it did get a bit boring ).

One more question, is busking on weekdays a bad idea? were still on summer holidays but all the other schools are back, and everyones back at work who works. However I live in a fairly big city (brighton, uk), so it won't be empty.

Will we still make a nice amount on a weekday?
Depends entirely on where you are. Where I busk there are many tourists as well as locals, so weekdays are still pretty busy. I'm afraid it depends entirely on where you are, so nobody can really say. Give it a go, if it doesn't work well don't do it again. But you have to always give it a while before you give up, the amount given is never steady, and people often lurk and listen to a few. Good luck with it though.
nobody likes Wonderwall or anything by Oasis so drop that song.
those who are saying to drop the Oasis songs are people who actually play guitar and are sick and tired of listening to those songs, but I guarantee that you'll get extra coin if you play them. Remember, people outside of UG really enjoy listening to crap, overplayed songs. You may as well give the people what they want. I suggest you play both wonderwall AND don't look Back. Not one after the other mind you, but I'm confident that those 2 will work for your benefit.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
I think Greenday's acoustic song would go over well, but Wonderwall is just not a good song especially sung by someone without a brit accent. It will sound nasty
Dave Matthews Band tunes are generally a hit

Where are you Going
Ants Marching
Satalitte
Knocking On heavens door would be a good choice its also one of my favourites

sometimes i cover Elvis -If i can dream

But yeah play something that every1 can like

PS: i covered Iron man once, not a very good reaction as i went crazy with the solos
Quote by flea's trumpet
those who are saying to drop the Oasis songs are people who actually play guitar and are sick and tired of listening to those songs, but I guarantee that you'll get extra coin if you play them. Remember, people outside of UG really enjoy listening to crap, overplayed songs. You may as well give the people what they want. I suggest you play both wonderwall AND don't look Back. Not one after the other mind you, but I'm confident that those 2 will work for your benefit.

This guy makes a great point. I think we here on the website often forget that most people don't make a lifestyle out of music, and this here is a website for people who enjoy making one out of it, or at least want to. I know that I listen to incredible amounts of music just to make sure I have a broad view, and unlike most people, I've heard pretty much every song out there by Dylan, Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. I'd say do a lot of Dylan as he's one of the most well-known acoustic players out there, maybe a few traditonal songs that spawned the guys like Dylan (This land is your land, you are my sunshine, all sorts of people relaly love thes you'llbe surprised) and definitely try to make a note of who is walking around you. Generally speaking, pretty looking girls like bands like Oasis, The Beatles, Wallflowers (they never realize it's Dylans son), Sublime, Celine Dion's Titanic Song, etc etc. Older dudes also like The Beatles and stuff like Ben E. king which u already have. It's pretty self explanatory, jsut have something for everyone, and keep your eyes peeled for those who adorn fancy clothing and jewels. Impress them first and foremost if you are looking for cash, or even possibly a record deal. Get back to us if anything becomes of your busking sessions. We'd all like to hear, I'm sure. Peace and Good Luck!
The times they are a changin'.....
I would always want a choice of song by bob dylan, like blowing in the wind or like a rolling stone. If your brave, you could play babe im gonna leave you, but strum the chords rather than fingerpick them
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
If you wanna make money, do more modern songs, easy stuff like the script and that.

Also, try to cover songs that other people wouldn't do, stay away from songs by bands like oasis who you hear being covered by everybody!