is it worth getting a tube amp as my first amp?
this will be the first amp ill have brought my current amp is the a bb blaster i got with my guitar, ive been playin 2 and a half years properly. ive tested out the vypyr and the line 6 spider 3 i didnt really like either of them, i need it for home and band practise and a 15 watt SS is loud enough to hear over drums, ill go used or new, my budget is around £150-£200, i play metal and hard rock. ill get a pedal later so i can switch between clean and distortion. so any suggestions, should i get tube or SS would it matter since its my first amp. thanks
ive looked at those before but there out of my price range new and i cant find one used near me and would a 5watt tube amp be able to be heard over drums
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Check out the Blackstar HT5.. Its a great starter amp and happens to be tube as well.

+1

It also has enough gain on tap to do hard rock/metal without any pedals. It also has two channels (clean and overdriven).

Its cheap for a tube amp and is louder than 15 watts SS.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
what about the Peavey Royal 8 - 5 Watt Combo is that any good, will it be loud enough and can it do enough gain for metal
what area you in TS? i got pretty good sourcing knowledge for almost all of the UK, i can steer you in the right direction for purchases im sure.

also, 5w tube is easily audiable over drums, if you say it isnt, your not diming it hard enough.

royal 8 is more of a blues/rock amp, its not that great either, being a valveking.

im sure you can find a used cab somewhere, get a blackheart BH5H and a Dano cool cat metal II.

the dano is true bypass, cheap and FFFFFin awesome. i use the drive version, im getting the metal soon. ive basically just suggested the setup i use, bar my pedalboard.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Aug 31, 2009,
I did this search a long time ago, and I keep updated on most newer amps. I hate to say it.. but in that price range you just cannot get a tube amp that is really suitable for metal.
what if i get the blackheart bh5h head and a distortion pedal, and will i need to buy the cab to be heard over drums or will it be fine on its own
have you checked vivastreet, gumtree, ebay and adtrader? ive found alot of good used gear on these 4.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

you need a cab for any head...

head + no cab = boom/sizzle/crackle/a bad noise

the BH5H is often sold as a halfstack, with a 1x12.

BH5H + BH112 + Dano Metal II = good toans slamm price.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

ok thanks
could i get the black heart head and just use it for bedroom practise then when i have enough get the cabinet or do you need to get both because i cant afford the whole set up at the moment unless i can find a cheap used cab any somewhere
you should never even turn a head on without first plugging it into a cabinet, or you'll something inside (usually a resistor).

id say stick it out and get the money together, then buy the halfstack. using a cheap cab will kill your tone, the BH cabs are loaded with well designed custom eminence speakers.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

the head is about a foot wide and about 5 or 6 inches tall, i dont have the cab myself but i know its fairly light and alot easier to lug around than my 4x12.

you might have to pay sucharge fo international payments for thomann btw

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by notsominidude
ok well i just found somewhere its cheaper
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_little_giant_bh5h.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_bh112.htm
and i could get it all in one from there quite soon, thats the right cab isnt it?
also with a cab is it still quite enough for bedroom practise even though its a 75 watt cab, and how portable is it.

Dimensions: 473 x 460x 280mm. Weight: 13.5kg
thats copied from thomann
so if we round it to 50cmx50cmx30cm
i'd say it's pretty damn portable especially compared to say a marshall 4x12 (or even my Laney 2x12's)
put it this way - you'll be able to walk up the stairs straight with that whereas you have to go sideways with a marshall or your elbows knock anything and everything off the wall.
theres a big dent in my door from moving my 4x12 around, even with the handles its usually a 2 man job getting it up the narrow stairs.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
theres a big dent in my door from moving my 4x12 around, even with the handles its usually a 2 man job getting it up the narrow stairs.

There are times I'm glad i ended up with two 2x12s instead of a 4x12 :P