I've been playing for a little over a year now and im just wondering on any tips to help memorize scales. i know that there are patterns i just dont know them yet. any tips/hints and help would be great. thanks.
Dont learn scales. Learn the modes. All the scale patterns are inside the modes. Im in the process of unlearning what i had learned just so i can better utilize the modes.
DON'T try and learn modes until you understand the major scale inside out, and don't listen to anybody who tells you to learn modes before that!

Learn how scales are constructed in terms of notes and intervals, starting with the major scale, and they'll be a whole lot easier to work out on your guitar.

Pretty much every scale you'll ever use can be derived from the major scale, so if you start with that you'll find the others a lot easier
I agree with Zhilla. Modes are great but scales and their patterns are PRACTICAL and when you're just starting out I think memorizing a pattern is better because it'll get you improvising right off the bat. The way I always learn scales is just by brute practice. Up and down the fretboard. But once you have a firm grasp on the scale, try improvising over a song you like. Another great way to get practice with the scale
Quote by zhilla
DON'T try and learn modes until you understand the major scale inside out, and don't listen to anybody who tells you to learn modes before that!

Learn how scales are constructed in terms of notes and intervals, starting with the major scale, and they'll be a whole lot easier to work out on your guitar.

Pretty much every scale you'll ever use can be derived from the major scale, so if you start with that you'll find the others a lot easier

ya, if someone tells you to learn modes before scales, don't listen.

there is no practical reason not to learn scales. you NEED to learn scales if your going to learn how modes work. if you can learn your scales, memorize them, all of them, learn how, and why, they work, that will help your playing SO much
If you want to do it the fun way, search your specific scale positions online. Learn all the positions for whatever scale it is and you can improvise with that scale and start improvising right away.
Quote by tidge
I've been playing for a little over a year now and im just wondering on any tips to help memorize scales. i know that there are patterns i just dont know them yet. any tips/hints and help would be great. thanks.

DEFINITELY learn the notes all over the fretboard, that will make scales a lot easier to understand. Start by learning something like the C major scale and then you can find a backing track at youtube in C major. Try to play some melodies with the scale . Also, whenever you play a note say it out loud so you are really learning the notes all over the fretboard. When doing this, you should also try to move outside the standard box patterns.
After a while when you've become pretty good at that try using other keys (maybe like F or G major that have almost the same notes).
As said above, spending time to learn every note on the fretboard would be a HUGE help. Saved me a ton of time, when I was learning scales...

Learn the major scale for every key and it's intervals before you learn ANY modes. Learning the arpeggios and correct chord for each scale is essential.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Learn the major scale first, focus on one major scale, C major is generally the easiest. Learn the intervals, the notes, patterns to play it all over the freatboard, and be able to mess around with it without hitting wrong notes.

Once you get the C major scale mastered you can just move it up or down into other major scales, and switch some intervals around to get to other modes, which, if you mastered the intervals in the major scale, will come in with alot of ease.
Quote by zhilla

but would it be easier to know some positions first? trying to learn the theory of scales and modes would easier if you knew some patters first.
Quote by SaturationPoint
but would it be easier to know some positions first? trying to learn the theory of scales and modes would easier if you knew some patters first.
I never told him not to learn scale patterns (although he definitely shouldn't just learn the patterns - understanding scales in terms of notes and intervals is much more important imo). I told him not to worry about modes. Modes will make no sense if he doesn't understand the major scale.
Quote by SaturationPoint

Bottom line is that patterns aren't theory...they're simply something that helps you apply theory once you understand it.

If you want to learn theory you have to know the notes first, until you learn them you won't actually be learning any theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com