Poll: How much gear do you bring to a gig?
Poll Options
View poll results: How much gear do you bring to a gig?
Two Pieces or less
6 7%
Three to Five pieces
48 57%
Six to Ten pieces
22 26%
Eleven to Fifteen pieces
5 6%
Sixteen pieces or more
3 4%
Voters: 84.
Page 1 of 2
I'm interested to see how much equipment you actually take to an average gig. The definition for an "average gig" for this thread means at least a half hour set.

Include everything you have to take (even if you're taking your drummer's kit or whatever). A "piece" of equipment means each part of your rig that requires carrying in at least one hand -- JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE 30 PEDALS BUT STORE THEM IN A PEDALBOARD DOES NOT COUNT AS SEPERATE PIECES! ONLY COUNT THINGS BROUGHT IN AS WHOLE, NOT WHAT IT AMOUNTS TO AFTER BEING UNLOADED!

If it really bugs you that much you can post everything in detail after voting.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
is there a purpose behind this poll? just curious.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
is there a purpose behind this poll? just curious.

I'd just like to see how in depth people get with this stuff. It's not against the rules to be curious?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
just wondering if you were doing a project that needed data or something. i voted 3-5.

amp
guitar
back up guitar
noise suppressor
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
just wondering if you were doing a project that needed data or something. i voted 3-5.

amp
guitar
back up guitar
noise suppressor

Oh, nah. Seeing a mod post made me think maybe there was something wrong with posting a thread with a poll without asking or it having a purpose or something.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I don't gig, but when I jam:

1 guitar
1 combo amp

So 2 pieces of gear.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
guitar
drop D guitar
backup guitar without locking nut for easy retuning
Blackheart
4x12
15w SS backup
pedalboard (5 pedals atm)
quality mic for PA
capo

etc.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

standard guitar
drop D guitar
drop C guitar
7 string
Amp head
4x12
ts9
noise supressor
picks and spare strings

Ect

guitars-depending on the songs ill be playing 6-10
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Aug 31, 2009,
Well over 16 pieces, I own my band's PA and I'm the guitarist too.
One Of The Last American Leftys.

Also A Peavey VK Owner!

Quote by Fiire
I've been mauled, tortured by the most fierce animals in the whole Animalia Kingdom.
Women.
Guitar
Guitar
Guitar
Amp
Pedalboard
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
- Guitar
- Guitar
- Pedalboard
- Amp

4 pieces.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Mark G
Amp head
Guitar
backup guitar
Floorboard

= 4

Must be some quiet gigs without any cabs !

I know you don't go direct, because I've seen your videos (pretty good,btw )!

I usually use one amp head, one small cab, one guitar, & one bag of sh!t (cables, Rat) for small gigs/jams. If I need to play Van Halen covers, then the big rig: Amp head, 2 large cabs, load box, rack reverb, power amp, & the aforementioned sh!t bag (with several more FX in there).
So either 4 things or 7.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 31, 2009,
Main guitar (Gibson LP)
Backup/ Open G guitar (Epi LP)
18watter
Pedalboard
Two guitar stands

I store the cables in the bag for the board and a capo and a slide inside the gigbags, didn't count them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
im not gigging right now, but in the past i'd normally bring 5:

guitar
cable
pedal tuner
cable
amp
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
Guitar, Guitar, amp head, 2x12, pedalboard, leads etc.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Mixer Board (used for the 10-band EQ)
Multi-effects pedal
Cry Baby Wah Pedal
Ibanez Guitar
Austin Guitar
Amp
= 6
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
2 strats with hs-3s 1 with area 61s,amp head,cab,pedalboard,box for all my crap (strings,picks,cables)3 guitar stand..I think that's it...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
2 electrics, handful of picks, depending on the gig an acoustic, amp head, amp cab, talkbox, over drive, when I get it(compressor), no pedal board by the way, I don't use enough for a whole board, and a bunch of strings, and a slide, but thats all in my case, so not too terribly much, I have a simple rig besides the talk box, but thats not even too complicated, and I will not use that for every gig, usually If I'm goinng to be playing a long time
2 Basses:
Spector (Standard)
Ibanez (Eb)

Amp head.
210 cab.
115 cab.

Pedalboard.

Suitcase with all cables and stuff.

Wireless system.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Aug 31, 2009,
I think alot of people bring too much stuff to a gig a lot of times. They are trying to recreate their studio sound for each song on stage, and in reality, no one in the audience knows, can tell the difference or really cares. Are people really going to walk out because you used a Strat for a song you recorded with an LP? Over a crappy bar's bad PA, being half tanked, a bass player on 11, can anyone in the back tell if its a single coil or a humbucker you're using?

I don't gig, but seen lots of bands play, and I would probably just use a multi-effects pedal for most gigs. Really, do you need to have 11 pedals, and adjust them for every song. Think anyone can really tell the difference between a digitech multi-effect reverb and your boutique $500 rare reverb in a gig?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Guitar
Back-up guitar
Combo Amp
ISP Decimator
Fish And Chips EQ Pedal
Korg Pitchblack

=6
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by GeToChKn
I think alot of people bring too much stuff to a gig a lot of times. They are trying to recreate their studio sound for each song on stage, and in reality, no one in the audience knows, can tell the difference or really cares. Are people really going to walk out because you used a Strat for a song you recorded with an LP? Over a crappy bar's bad PA, being half tanked, a bass player on 11, can anyone in the back tell if its a single coil or a humbucker you're using?

I don't gig, but seen lots of bands play, and I would probably just use a multi-effects pedal for most gigs. Really, do you need to have 11 pedals, and adjust them for every song. Think anyone can really tell the difference between a digitech multi-effect reverb and your boutique $500 rare reverb in a gig?

I guess some people just like having a good live sound.

I like working with other people who know what they're doing.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Bogner ecstasy head
Mesa 2x12
Pedal board (three pedals atm)
Gibson sg
Gibson explorer
Box of ish (cables, picks, tuner, etc)
Guitar stand
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by GeToChKn

I don't gig, but seen lots of bands play, and I would probably just use a multi-effects pedal for most gigs. Really, do you need to have 11 pedals, . and adjust them for every song Think anyone can really tell the difference between a digitech multi-effect reverb and your boutique $500 rare reverb in a gig?

i have 3 pedals, a tuner pedal, Ts9, and a NS2 ... i nver change the settings on em ... leave them all on thoughout the set... i like to keep things simple

and Multi-FX FTL
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by GeToChKn

i have used multi effects and single pedals live, and i can tell you that it does make a difference in the tone, and i have assisted to gigs where the bands used multi effects and sounded horrible, and i have seen people sound bad with individual pedals
and in the end, it's the one on the stage who decides what he wants to do, does it really matter if there are 15 pedals at his feet or just one ?
i know for myself that i don't change the settings on my pedals between each songs, except maybe for my delay. and that's it.
Quote by kakos
i have 3 pedals, a tuner pedal, Ts9, and a NS2 ... i nver change the settings on em ... leave them all on thoughout the set... i like to keep things simple

and Multi-FX FTL

Guitar
Amp
Cab
Multi-fx

Multi-fx FTL???? Maybe you've never heard of TC electronics????
2 guitars
amp head
cabinet
pedalboard
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
One acoustic electric, one monster cable.

and some picks... but it is a rare occasion that I actually "gig". I call it, playing with friends in a bar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Whenever I gig I take my

Electric Guitar
Acoustic guitar
Amp
Multi effects pedal
Gibson Les Paul Standard or 61 Reissue SG
Fender Standard Strat with either Vintage Noiseless or Lace Sensor Golds
Zendrive 2/Mosferatu/DD-3/Tube Driver, sometimes my 808
Fender DeVille
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
that would be, my electric, my acousic guitars, pedals, "warming" amp (for backstage purposes) my mic (with stand) an a backpack with deodorant another shirt etc
i played at this bar once, and i brought

-ibanez (standard tuning)
-squier (drop D half step down)
-amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
6 ish depending on how you classify stuff...

1. Main Guitar = Homemade Wolfgang
2. Back-up Guitar = Customized Jay Turser Explorer
3. Pedal Board = MXR EVH P90, Behringer Delay, Korg Pitchblack, 6505+ Footswitch.
4. Halfstack = 6505+ head and cab... I'll count that as 1 amp though.
5. Sennheiser E835 Mic on a K&M stand with a Peavey pick holder holding 8 .77 tortex Peavey picks.
6. Accessories bag holding 1 monster cable, 1 blue cable, 1 black cable, 1 midi footswitch cable, 1 pair of pliers, 1 pair of wire cutters/snips, 1 Kapo, 1 tuner peg winder, EVH D-tuna accesories, Floyd Rose wrenches, and 1-3 packs of D'addario EXL125 strings.

On occasion I'll bring a Vox AD15VT and put it at the front of the stage so I can put my foot on it for an awsome soloing stance... aww yah...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Guitar
Boss ME
Amp

Can't wait to upgrade from the ME though, then it'll just be a compressor, delay, and noise gate. But I must keep it for modulation funs!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page 1 of 2