So I have the option of taking it but I'm still indecisive.
Any of you guys take it in highschool? How hard was it?
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
I wish my highschool had it

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Not too bad, the theory material itself is all easy, jsut the ear training is hard if you dont have an okay ear to begin with.

EDIT: Also, it is incredibly boring ^^^
I took it. It's easy as long as you make sure that you understand everything.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I took it since we didn't have regular MT. I couldn't read music when I came in, but I came out with a 4 on the test. College music theory is easy for me now and I only got straight 4's on Aural and Written. I'd say take it. If you're willing to work you'll be fine.

ANd to the people that say it's boring. I think that depends on your teacher. Mine was great.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 31, 2009,
Gah I wish my school had Music Theory...

私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
I don't know whether AP is the same as AS here in the UK, but i took it and it was incredibly broing, and also pretty difficult. if you don't understand something like the circle of fifths or transposing between clefs, you'll fail.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Aug 31, 2009,
I'm in it right now. It's a little hard, a lot of memorization. You do know how to read real music though, right? Not just tabs?
I signed up to take it this year. But then it got cancelled due to low enrollment. I was pissed.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
I signed up to take it this year. But then it got cancelled due to low enrollment. I was pissed.

didn't stop my class. I have 6 kids in it
Oh, btw:

http://musictheory.net/

This site will help. A lot.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by pantera456
didn't stop my class. I have 6 kids in it

Stop mocking me. Now I'm stuck in T.V. Productions class with a teacher that doesn't know what she's talking about.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by pantera456
I'm in it right now. It's a little hard, a lot of memorization. You do know how to read real music though, right? Not just tabs?

Basically, a little review and it should all come back.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
I'm taking it this year.

A couple of my close friends who took it last year informed me that the AP was difficult. However, only the dictation parts were really difficult, which makes sense. The written work seems simple.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
My school doesn't have AP. I took the regular music theory class a couple of years ago and it was really easy for me because I already knew almost all of the stuff that was taught. I mostly just listened to music in the closet with a couple of other people.

That last part is a little weird now that I think about it.
it was fun with my teacher
we had two classes of it

took ap test got a 5 on it
i was soo happy. i got 9 college credits for it for the college im goin to

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I could easily pass this and I would like to take the class but the teacher that does it hates me. I ****ed up his band program on purpose when some rich kid came in and donated 3k more to "sponser" the band and he got the Jazz guitarist and marching postion. You already have to pay $600 to participate in band anyway. I've played classical for 2 years with a strict theory teacher and I heard this class covers baroque era classical?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Aug 31, 2009,
BTW, it's a great class. I've been in it for two weeks, and I already know most of my ascending intervals by ear.
My sister did music theory for years and said it was a complete waste of time.

I'm starting it when I go back... apparently they sometimes let you mess about with keyboards so it can't be all that bad
Quote by BlackIce87
I could easily pass this and I would like to take the class but the teacher that does it hates me. I ****ed up his band program on purpose when some rich kid came in and donated 3k more to "sponser" the band and he got the Jazz guitarist and marching postion. You already have to pay $600 to participate in band anyway. I've played classical for 2 years with a strict theory teacher and I heard this class covers baroque era classical?

Yeah, it covers most classical music. The only thing I'm dissapointed about is that its mostly classical theory, not much jazz.
Quote by itchy guitar

lmao i dont know why but when i read this i couldnt stop laughing. lmao
thats a lol wall for you

Classical Guitarist
i took it, it sucks trust me. You wont learn anything you want to learn, its all like un useful voice leading rules they used in the baroche era. If you want to write an orchestra, take the class. If you want to write music, take a modern music theory class in college.
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
I took it. It's easy as long as you make sure that you understand everything.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I took it in year 11. It was hard for about 3 months, then eased up once you get used to thinking fast, and are good at math (fractions and addition mostly), and memorize the rules of composition.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Tomorrow I get my draft schedule to see what classes I'll get, I signed up for it but my school might not be offering it for this year, since there's a possible that not enough people signed up for the class.
Quote by Zep_shizzle
lmao i dont know why but when i read this i couldnt stop laughing. lmao
thats a lol wall for you

...?
I took regular MT because AP wasn't offered, and I did pretty well. The ear training is definitely the hardest, but from what I can tell with the amount of material we covered compared to the AP curriculum, it shouldn't be that bad.
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
...?

Hey, if he wants to laugh at my non-funny statement, I say let him!
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by itchy guitar

So you can sig him?
Last edited by 23dannybhoy23 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
So you can sig him?

But alas, I have no more room in my sig.
Quote by MakinLattes
dude i took a music 100 class, the easiest one, in my highschool-commmunity college program. i took music 5-7th grade and played guitar since 8th, so i thought id know a little.

well, we learned how to read the staffs at first...lets just say by week 3 we were studying Dorian, Aeorian, Whorian, Moarian, and a bunch of Orian crap. then augmented and diminished 3rds, 5ths, and all this.

no one knew wtf was going on, every week we got a worksheet on monday, due on friday, of writing all this stuff. but, most of the people, not to sterotype, were hardworking Asian imigrants. so, they would to all this tedious work and give it to the white people lol. i bought mine a soda to show thanks.

the final project, write 24 bars of music. we had the whole quarter to do it. i got in done in 30 minutes and got an A+, along with everyone else who made it to 24 bars. the teacher was an old guy who was super cool, but kinda out of it. he was like, to the Asians "hey, i saw u guys at the Mariner game, taking pictures of Ichiro!!!!", theyre like "no..", he goes "yeah huh, i saw u taking pictures there!!!", he thought they all were the same person or looked alike.

a fun class, all i learned was Every Good Boy Does Fine, All Cars Eat Gas, to remember the lines on the scale.
Quote by itchy guitar

idk why it was funny. it just was................
Classical Guitarist