Hi guys,

I've been searching google and every legal advice site I can and it's still not clear to me.

After a relative got me a replica of Richard the Lionheart's sword for my birthday, I've taken much more interest in collection such items, the only thing is the laws regarding them are frigging baffling to me.

First of all, swords. I know that curved blade swords no matter what condition are now out of the question but fortunately I'm only bothered about European history and there are very few. The only thing I couldn't find is what happens if I'm carrying the sword home from the shop to my house?

Secondly, I've seen a beautiful replica of the flintock pistol that Dick Turpin used and a belgian flintock pistol replica which I spaffed over when I saw. The law says carrying any form of fire-arm, replica or otherwise, in public will result in the same punishment as carrying a functioning fire-arm in public. How the crap do I get it home?!

Thanks for your help in regards to this, the law is so confusing.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Umm, get someone to drive you and stash it in the car for the ride home?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
You aren't allowed to carry a replica gun around town, but if you buy it at a shop, boxed or whatever and carry it home, you'll be fine. If they're allowed to sell it, you're allowed to buy it.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
You aren't allowed to carry a replica gun around town, but if you buy it at a shop, boxed or whatever and carry it home, you'll be fine. If they're allowed to sell it, you're allowed to buy it.

I was thinking maybe to ask for a delivery, but I'd be too tempted to turn up at the door in a cloack, hat and mask, whip the flintock out of the box and demand the delivery man stand and deliver.

But you think if it stays in a box it will be ok?
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Maybe ask the people at the shop if they have any advice on getting it home?
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
most places have special exceptions for replicas and antiques and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by benonbass1
Make sure its properly in a box or hidden from public eye. If it's just in a gun shape bag, people will filp, and you will get shot.
Same with the sword.

Thats not how things work in England we don't shoot people for petty reasons.
Quote by Greenie_777

Plus, even if the flintock worked, who the hell would go on a spree with a musket?
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by Dannystrumpop
Plus, even if the flintock worked, who the hell would go on a spree with a musket?

Didn't you know? Since muskets are usually large bore (>= .50), they can shoot down aircraft! Very dangerous weapon according to some people (morons).

And no, I'm not kidding, I've heard gun-banners use that logic before.
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Sep 1, 2009,
In England and Wales, a pointed or bladed article can be carried in public if you have lawful authority or a reasonable excuse or if it is for use in work or religion (s.139 Criminal Justice Act 1988).

Essentially, you have a reasonable excuse if you have a replica of orginal historical sword etc if it is correctly and securely packaged, not too obvious and that you are taking it straight home to add to your collection. You wont get away with wondering around with it just because you're a collecter. It is for you to prove you've got a reasonable excuse though, which will be helped by the existence of the sword you've already got.

However, if you're under 16 you simply can't have any sort of weapon, replica or not.

There's more to it, but that is the general stuff.
Quote by Greenie_777

That's right, you're into knives, aren't you?

Anyway TS, I'm not completely sure, but the laws are probably over the top. Getting a bag should do it.
The playground of the world
Quote by Eddie4President

Anyway TS, I'm not completely sure, but the laws are probably over the top. Getting a bag should do it.

yeah kids knife up their schools in England
^ That.

Quote by Eddie4President

Yup. It takes out the whole "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight" sort of thing.
It's one less thing to worry about...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄