i need to learn how to play by ear because i want to become a professional musician one day. im 17 and i've only been playing for 8 months however i used tabs all 8 of those months. i realize now that learning by ear is the only way i'll ever become a professional musician because thats how you learn how music works. however i'm finding playing by ear probably one of the hardest things i've ever tried to learn to do. how long will it take to get a professional level ear and how would i go about doing that
you dont have to play by ear to know how music works or become a professional musician. just learn to play from your soul and study music theory
Quote by amin17
i need to learn how to play by ear because i want to become a professional musician one day. im 17 and i've only been playing for 8 months however i used tabs all 8 of those months. i realize now that learning by ear is the only way i'll ever become a professional musician because thats how you learn how music works. however i'm finding playing by ear probably one of the hardest things i've ever tried to learn to do. how long will it take to get a professional level ear and how would i go about doing that

you may never get that professional level ear...some pro's don't know how to play by ear...you just gotta know theory and how to put music together....know the circle of fifths and all that so you know how notes relate to each other...
I've been playing for a year and half. I've tabbed out two songs and figured out parts of a few other songs.

It takes time and patience. You have to play around until you're mind thinks "Oh, that chord sounds like this chord,"

Just try figuring out some Green Day songs that you don't know. American Idiot is their easiest album, and it's a pretty simple album because they use G#, F# and C# way too much, so you'll become more familiar with those chords.
Quote by amin17

It takes time / experience. 8 months is very little time in terms of being a professional musician.

Try starting with something simple.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I've been playing for a year and half. I've tabbed out two songs and figured out parts of a few other songs.

It takes time and patience. You have to play around until you're mind thinks "Oh, that chord sounds like this chord,"

^ good advice
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 31, 2009,
LEARN TO SING

never ask the question "how much/long to get pro" music is a fickle business. there are some truly talented guitarists out there who have no recognition and can't make it pro, it took a lot of good words from steve vai to get satch known and he's clearly very good. Then there are others who aren't that good who make it (mentioning no names).

LEARN TO SING

Learning by ear is key to understanding and enjoying music. LEARNING TO SING will help with that no end. also try things like this: http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html for getting used to how intervals sound.

LEARN TO SING

Also try tabbing out songs you like and look at how they are constructed, that will help too

did i mention you should LEARN TO SING
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 31, 2009,
i agree...if you know the notes through vocals...then you can hear what chord is being playing...