Hey guys.

I'm just wondering, do you guys know any good lead + rhythm amps?

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking 100 head, but that's only two channels--one clean, and one lead with a gain setting, and I kinda need something with somewhat configurable channels, gain wise.

Basically, I need a channel for strict clean (I have a stompbox that I use to add a bit of "crunch" to it if I need it)

I need a channel for rhythm distortion

and I need a channel with a good lead tone.

I'm kinda on a small budget here, around like.. $800 is really the maximum that I can spend... MAYYBEE $900, but doubtfully. I also kinda would prefer tubes in it. Solid state gives me a headache after I play on one of those amps. Seriously.

Do you guys have any suggestions for the price? It would be much appreciated.

I'll be putting it through a Marshall Original Classic Limited Edition cabinet.
have you tried a vetta?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
If you like Peavey....go for the 6505 head. Its a sweet amp, and would probably sound great through a Marshall...depending what style you play. Apart from that...Line6 have good configurable settings...lots of different gain with many effects. And all of you haters: piss off Line6 ARE good amps, although the heads are better than the combos.
If you're on a budget, tube amps might not be the right way to go. Replacement Tubes can get expensive real fast.
check out the Bugera 333XL or a used Marshall TSL.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by yoduh4077
If you're on a budget, tube amps might not be the right way to go. Replacement Tubes can get expensive real fast.

Because $150 for a complete retube once or $50 for power tubes alone once a year is expensive. :eyeroll:

OP, have you looked into the Peavey 3120?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
check out the Bugera 333XL or a used Marshall TSL.

Very true, I forgot about Bugera's. They get a lot of bad reviews but thats just because they are a newer company and havent earned the trust of generations. But they are very good. The 6262 is pretty awesome
I looked at the Bugera, and a lot of the reviews said that it doesn't have the best sound quality. That's kinda something that might annoy me, but then again, I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone have any input on the sound quality of it?

Marshall TSL is WAYYY out of my price range.

I've also checked out the Peavey heads you guys have listed. I would go for them, but once more, kinda out of my price range.

The Vetta II I was pretty impressed by.. like, REALLY impressed by in fact. I guess it's the fact that I can probably get my own sound out of it--but is it tube or SS? I never liked Line 6 (probably because of the Spider series) up until I saw this amp. I would definitely try it out, but the price is kinda also out there too...

Also, guys, keep in mind, despite my name, I play alt. rock/pop (think Weezer, Team Sleep, etc.), but I occasionally play a bit of punkish stuff too, but nothing too cheesy. :P

So, hm...

Right now, my best bet is the Bugera 333XL, but I'm wondering if you guys have any more suggestions?
TSLs are easily in your price range used.

Also, one thing that you should really learn to do is use your guitar's volume. Really, one does not need 4 channels, knowing how to use your volume control should be able to give you all the in between sounds you would need.
Quote by al112987
TSLs are easily in your price range used.

Also, one thing that you should really learn to do is use your guitar's volume. Really, one does not need 4 channels, knowing how to use your volume control should be able to give you all the in between sounds you would need.

haha, I actually do. It's just that it takes me hell to get it back the way it was, and doing that inbetween songs is a bit of a nuisance, if you know what I mean. Also, the same thing with my pedals, I find myself having to tweak with my pedal mid-song sometimes, and that's kinda not cool, if you know what I mean.
Dsl>tsl
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Peavey 3120??????
3 channels
120 watts
All the lead/rhythmness you need.
New they're like $999, but you can find them used about $200 cheaper.

Where do you live??

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Peavey 3120??????
3 channels
120 watts
All the lead/rhythmness you need.
New they're like $999, but you can find them used about $200 cheaper.

Where do you live??

haha, i'm a little biased on the topic of that specific amp compared to the bugera, but i've read up more on that now.

anyway, i live in SoCal.
Quote by PowerPopGuy
haha, i'm a little biased on the topic of that specific amp compared to the bugera, but i've read up more on that now.

anyway, i live in SoCal.

Nearest Major City?

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
Nearest Major City?

Well, I live in Big Bear City, so I guess San Bernardino/Redlands.
Last edited by thrasher. at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by thrasher.

haha, wow.... i'm still, for lack of better word, amazed...

do you have any tips on talking down prices? lol, i kinda have problems with it, for some reason. i can't even get the local guitar shop to bring down the price by 5%. haha.
Just email them/ call them. Show some lack of interest, just say "oh, i'm just looking at a few different amps, with the right price i could make it work etc.". I talked a guy down to $600 on a single rectifier but can't go pick it up, and he's leaving town in 3 days. so i'm out of luck.
Quote by thrasher.
Just email them/ call them. Show some lack of interest, just say "oh, i'm just looking at a few different amps, with the right price i could make it work etc.". I talked a guy down to $600 on a single rectifier but can't go pick it up, and he's leaving town in 3 days. so i'm out of luck.

I'll give that a try then. Thanks. Life saver, haha.
You'd be amazed at the great prices on CL. Good luck finding a suitable amp!

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Just put Bugera Demos into youtube. Should help you decide. Or any amp demos for that matter. There are a lot of lower-market brands that do brilliant amps, you just have to keep eyes open, and check out what gear your favourite bands use
Quote by Raijouta
Because $150 for a complete retube once or $50 for power tubes alone once a year is expensive. :eyeroll:

OP, have you looked into the Peavey 3120?

More like Power tubes after 2 years, pre-amp after 4+ for me... Not even worth considering.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Just put Bugera Demos into youtube. Should help you decide. Or any amp demos for that matter. There are a lot of lower-market brands that do brilliant amps, you just have to keep eyes open, and check out what gear your favourite bands use

Haha, yeah, I did. It sounds great! Really. I'm just worried about the whole clip soldering thing issue that a lot of people have with it. What are the odds of that happening?
definately TSL.

Clean - Crunch - Lead

reverb and FX loop (both footswitchable)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

the peavey XXX with cabinet for 600 is your best bet imo, a decent clean channel, the crunch channel has enough gain for any rhythm sound, and the ultra should give you your lead
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by PowerPopGuy
Haha, yeah, I did. It sounds great! Really. I'm just worried about the whole clip soldering thing issue that a lot of people have with it. What are the odds of that happening?

Well the factory ships off the amps with loosened screws for a start, to save damage to the threads, so you'd want to tighten them up. And every so often keep checking inside the head at the clips to see if they've come loose. Unless you are a good hand with a soldering iron, I wouldnt risk playing around on the circuit board, but after the warranty expires, you havent lost much by changing it, so take the clips off and solder the wires in place for good. Especially if you are going to be moving it around a lot i.e. gigging or touring. But its not a major problem...if it stops making sound or something...just open it up and clip them back in place. Also check if the tubes are pushed in fully, thats sometimes a problem
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Well the factory ships off the amps with loosened screws for a start, to save damage to the threads, so you'd want to tighten them up. And every so often keep checking inside the head at the clips to see if they've come loose. Unless you are a good hand with a soldering iron, I wouldnt risk playing around on the circuit board, but after the warranty expires, you havent lost much by changing it, so take the clips off and solder the wires in place for good. Especially if you are going to be moving it around a lot i.e. gigging or touring. But its not a major problem...if it stops making sound or something...just open it up and clip them back in place. Also check if the tubes are pushed in fully, thats sometimes a problem

ahk, sorry, been sick the past two days.

yeah, i don't even know how to solder anything.... at all. :|