Hey, I'm looking to get a thicker tone out of my telecaster, I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pickup for something more suited to high gain stuff, I'm looking to get a heavy alternative rock tone, think Smashing Pumpkins, ie the tone in Tarantula, I'd like something which sounds good with a lot of distortion, reasonable sustain, and good pinch harmonics is a must, useable cleans would be nice too.

My current setup is a Peavey Classic 50, a Pro Co RAT, a Dunlop 535Q and a MIM tele, though I'm considering getting a Russian Big Muff for more gain and lead work.

My budget is about £70, so far I've mainly been looking at Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, STHR-1b, I've also looked at lace sensors, I know Corgan used them, would they be a reasonable option? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
Red Lac Sensor for the bridge would definitely get you a Smashing Pumpkins kind of tone.
SD hot rails for sure.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Ah right, thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll probably go for the hot rails, then maybe a lace sensors in the neck for mainly cleans later on. Just one other question, would it be hard to install a new pup (,would I be able to do it myself having never done it before)? Cheers.
Pickup installations are easy. Hot Rails ftw, but only in your bridge. Keep your neck pickup as a single coil.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Hot Rail in the bridge will defintely do metal crunch and pinch harmonics.
(I have one in my Tele)

But the resulting noise and feedback will be atrotious being that it's a bladed high output pickup, sitting in a metal bridge plate.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
There's a dentist out there somewhere who willl put a Dimebucker in there for ya. Apparently it is brutal
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
hot rails ftl, IMO.

stacked bucker ftw.

it's good enough for Molly Hatchet.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by BobDetroit
There's a dentist out there somewhere who willl put a Dimebucker in there for ya. Apparently it is brutal

Oh god

Anyway, Dimarzio Super Distortion S.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^And terrible.

Any sort of humbucker would allow the Tele to handle high gain better. Even within just the Seymour Duncan line, any of their other single coil sized humbucker would be better than the Hot Rails, IMO.

What's wrong with hot rails. They're freaking good? I, along with many others, like it as a bridge pickup. I've tried it on a strat. Favorite single by far. True the mini JB and jazz and 59 rock too, but I like the hot rails the best for heavily distortion high gain high sustain metal.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Woo, so are hot rails not that good? I'm not really looking for a metal tone, just something that will do high gain better, I don't really want to sacrifice tone for a heavier sound, as long as I can get good sustain, reasonable pinch harmonics and strong distortion, then I don't really mind about not having a particular heavy sound. I'd just love to have something like this guys tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-creeHvElk.
SD Lil' 59 or a Dimarzio Super Distortion T/Chopper T

Maybe you should just get a set of the Fender SCN pups or Fender Texas Specials.

To be honest, I'm in the situation you are (need pups for tele that can handle Smashing Pumpkin tones), and those are the pickups I've been looking at.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS