I'm in the process of recording my band's album, and we need advice.
Our garage isn't properly isolated so recording the drums there doesn't sound very good, so we got offered the opportunity to record the drums via usb (or something) with electric drums instead .

Is it a good idea ?

it might be worth noting my drummer's drums don't sound very good.
It can sound good, but digital drums will never sound exactly like acoustic drums. If that's okay with you, then go for it. YOu can get a really good sound outta digital kits, it's just a noticable difference.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MikeDee
I'm in the process of recording my band's album, and we need advice.
Our garage isn't properly isolated so recording the drums there doesn't sound very good, so we got offered the opportunity to record the drums via usb (or something) with electric drums instead .

Is it a good idea ?

it might be worth noting my drummer's drums don't sound very good.

what would be your budget? im not really recording an album but i got a pretty cheap set of edrums and i use it to trigger superior drummer 2.0 (which will give you REALLY good results) so if you have the money get a decent set of edrums and superior drummer 2.0

EDIT: wait im making my own concept album i just program my drums for the album songs, as my drumming isnt amazing yet.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
It can sound good, but digital drums will never sound exactly like acoustic drums. If that's okay with you, then go for it. YOu can get a really good sound outta digital kits, it's just a noticable difference.

That depends largely on the kit though, cheap kits with crappy or none existent strike zone and pressure sensitivity will sound pretty bad no matter what you do (unless you want to spend a few days tweaking MIDI. A really good e-kit can come pretty close to sounding real though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
That depends largely on the kit though, cheap kits with crappy or none existent strike zone and pressure sensitivity will sound pretty bad no matter what you do (unless you want to spend a few days tweaking MIDI. A really good e-kit can come pretty close to sounding real though.

if you use something like a td-20 triggering superior drummer/BFD i think youll get amazing results.
Quote by MetalBass 77
if you use something like a td-20 triggering superior drummer/BFD i think youll get amazing results.

The TD20 is only as good as the pads it is hooked up too, also if you have a good kit you wouldn't need the TD20 anyway since it's mainly just a sound module, however it should be said that roland makes great e-drum pads.

Also, IMO Superior Drummer kind of sucks, but YMMV.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
The TD20 is only as good as the pads it is hooked up too, also if you have a good kit you wouldn't need the TD20 anyway since it's mainly just a sound module, however it should be said that roland makes great e-drum pads.

Also, IMO Superior Drummer kind of sucks, but YMMV.

yea i meant like the full td-20 kit (although its expensive as hell) or even the alesis usb trigger io kit. also i have to disagree, i think superior drummer is pretty amazing, and it has a great e-drum setting, but to each their own. also what does YMMV mean?
Quote by MetalBass 77
yea i meant like the full td-20 kit (although its expensive as hell) or even the alesis usb trigger io kit. also i have to disagree, i think superior drummer is pretty amazing, and it has a great e-drum setting, but to each their own. also what does YMMV mean?

Yeah the full kit is great, because it has nice multiple strike zone, pressure sensitive pads. YMMV means "your mileage may vary"

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah the full kit is great, because it has nice multiple strike zone, pressure sensitive pads. YMMV means "your mileage may vary"

what would you recommend then to trigger an e-drum kit? ive heard of ocean way drums,BFD,Superior, and steven slate drums for e-drums and i think the best of the bunch is superior, maybe ocean way is better, but i kinda believe they cost like a couple grand. i think out of the bunch getting a decent e kit then triggering superior would be best for the TS, but thats just my opnion.
I use NI battery with samples from tons of different sets and various places (I also record some of my own samples for my industrial stuff)

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I use NI battery with samples from tons of different sets and various places (I also record some of my own samples for my industrial stuff)

yea i get free samples from the web and computer music and make kits with shor circuit sampler (freeware sampler) only problem is that the open hihat plays over the closed not possible. im sure with something like battery thats programmed in to not happen, correct?
Quote by MetalBass 77
yea i get free samples from the web and computer music and make kits with shor circuit sampler (freeware sampler) only problem is that the open hihat plays over the closed not possible. im sure with something like battery thats programmed in to not happen, correct?

with battery you just set the kit up however you want, you hit the trigger to set it to a sample bank and then you load the samples for that pad, the multiple samples are for pressure sensitivity so you can even have it make a completely different sound at different velocity levels.

Last.fm