I got the audition material for my schools jazz band today. The audition is on wednsday. I'm getting through it but, but I don't think ill be prepared. I'm doing fine with the melody parts, but most of the chords that aren't your homegrown 7ths are killing me. I'm taking a break now to eat and rest my wrists. Is there anything I can do other than Just practice? I think Ill ask the director to schedule anotherday, because my new guitar comes the day after the audition and I have a lesson that day.
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
They will probably prefer someone who can just play 7th chords, in time, and gelling with the band; than someone who can just about manage 9th and 13th chords, if he plays them for the first half of the bar and spends the rest of the time changing chords.

Just stick with the 7th chords, but play them well.
Keep it simple, three note voicings and look at the type of song for your rhythm playing (ex. bossa/ballad/med jazz/latin/swing)
Quote by blue_strat
They will probably prefer someone who can just play 7th chords, in time, and gelling with the band; than someone who can just about manage 9th and 13th chords, if he plays them for the first half of the bar and spends the rest of the time changing chords.

Just stick with the 7th chords, but play them well.

This. I'm in my 2nd year of jazz band at my school, and the chords are much easier then they look. You'll get them after some time and practice...
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
YOU DONT NEED TO PLAY EVERY NOTE OF THE CHORD.
1-3-7
3-7-9
3-7-other tension should be your standard voicings. you can also use voicngs of just tensions
for example playing the upper structure of a CMAJ7
D-F-A
9-11-13

i guarentee if you spend time thinking about notes, not shapes a variety of very easy voicings will avail themselves. there is a horn section, a bass player and a piano. the odds are the band is not harmonicaly reliant on just you. its more important that you swing, keep excelent time and blend with the rhythm section then to play every note of every chord. 5ths and oftentimes roots should usually be avoided.
this website: freddiegreen.org should help you with 99% of big band guitar playing. play a few transcriptions and read up on the technique and most importantly listen.

EDIT: also, oftentimes 3-7, 3-7-9, 3-7-13 or 1-3-7 voicings will do fine. if youi really cant play a chord (like if you see something like AMAj7#11b13) just drop all the tensions and play A-C#-G#, or C#, G# (using the same fingering, but muting the A with your left hand to get a more percussive tone).
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Sep 1, 2009,
as above, you can leave notes out.

Quote by JackWhite333
This. I'm in my 2nd year of jazz band at my school, and the chords are much easier then they look. You'll get them after some time and practice...

you will get used to the extra extensions and colours put on notes. Honestly, I think you should have looked at these chords a little more before the audition. But, at least now you know what you're in for.