I am a guitarist that plays mostly 80's metal and rock(Europe, Whitesnake, Gary Moore, Ratt) and some pink floyd/david gilmour stuff and am looking for a pedal that would be suitable for those styles.

My maximum price range is from $200-$300

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by dariusmunro1 at Aug 31, 2009,
Do you have any preference between analog/digital?
Budget?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Unfortunatley im not that sure whether analog or digital would fit the style i play. I assume digital because i have heard analog doesnt work well with high gain.
An analog delay would be what you want, unless you don't want warm repeats.

The Deluxe Memory Man by Electro-Harmonix sounds ideal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
TC Electronics Nova Delay. Or the TC Repeater.
I have the Nova Delay, it's a digital delay but has a dial to make it sound more analog or even tape. Sounds great all the way around. It's right in your price range as well... maybe under these days.
as long as you have an effects loop, an analog would work fine. you would be using mostly preamp gain i would assume, so even a digital delay would want to be in the loop.

as for delays, i would go for one of two options. either get one of each, or get a really nice digital delay. with the one of each option i would go with either an ibanez ad-9 or mxr carbon copy for analog. both are around $150 new, so thats about half your budget. then find a digital delay with tap tempo (boss dd-6 or 7). buy one or both pedals used and you can get in under budget easily.

not sure too much about which high end pedal i would pick, maybe the nova delay or line 6 dl-4. though the ehx deluxe memory man is tempting as a real nice analog delay (or used old version of the stereo memory man).
Quote by jof1029
as long as you have an effects loop, an analog would work fine. you would be using mostly preamp gain i would assume, so even a digital delay would want to be in the loop.

as for delays, i would go for one of two options. either get one of each, or get a really nice digital delay. with the one of each option i would go with either an ibanez ad-9 or mxr carbon copy for analog. both are around $150 new, so thats about half your budget. then find a digital delay with tap tempo (boss dd-6 or 7). buy one or both pedals used and you can get in under budget easily.

not sure too much about which high end pedal i would pick, maybe the nova delay or line 6 dl-4. though the ehx deluxe memory man is tempting as a real nice analog delay (or used old version of the stereo memory man).

Do you know whether analogue or digital would be better suited to the style im playing; Whitesnake(87), Gary Moore(his 80's rock stuff), europe and pink floyd/david gilmour.
well i would probably use an analog delay for a lot of that stuff. i find it better to warm up solos and lead parts. but at the same time, i know a lot of 80's stuff used some rhythmic delays which usually requires digital with tap tempo. i personally like analog delays better, and if you had to choose one thats what i would go with. i have an analog delay myself, and am planning on picking up a digital delay at some point. but to start, i felt analog would better suit the adding of warmth and such to my sound.
I tried every delay i could get my hands on and still ended up with a Boss DD-7. Just a good solid easy to use pedal.
Quote by jof1029
well i would probably use an analog delay for a lot of that stuff. i find it better to warm up solos and lead parts. but at the same time, i know a lot of 80's stuff used some rhythmic delays which usually requires digital with tap tempo. i personally like analog delays better, and if you had to choose one thats what i would go with. i have an analog delay myself, and am planning on picking up a digital delay at some point. but to start, i felt analog would better suit the adding of warmth and such to my sound.

True, but the biggest problem i have with analog delays is the lack of presets, therefore it would seem impossible to change delay settings in the middle of a song. Do you know if theres any way round this.

P.S thanks for the help
Last edited by dariusmunro1 at Aug 31, 2009,
If you want presets, you'll be wanting the Line 6 DL-4 or TC Electronic Nova Delay...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Tap Tempo?? that changes delay in the middle of a song.