I want a guitar purely to do shred with, not much rhythm just for practise and recoridng leads in my studio. Budget is about £400. What guitar and what replacement neck pickup?
ibanez.... crank the action down and throw some .8 strings on there and you will = shred
lol .8 strings are you serious?
My Gear:
PRS CE 22 Tortoise Shell 2008
Epiphone SG Korina Custom 2004
Gibson Lg-1 Vintage 1965 Acoustic
Marshall AVT 50
Quote by slingshotjr
ibanez.... crank the action down and throw some .8 strings on there and you will = shred

thats a brand

and i am in E standard just a regular 6 string.
Rusty Cooleys signature dean (don't remember the model name). It's a 7 string but it's freaking amazing. He has a little review thing for it on YouTube

Edit: I just noticed your budget so sctach this badass guitar...u should still check it out though it's sick
Last edited by Hendrallica at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by Hendrallica
Rusty Cooleys signature dean (don't remember the model name). It's a 7 string but it's freaking amazing. He has a little review thing for it on YouTube

it also has a super thin neck that is even thinner than an Ibanez neck
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Hendrallica

just want a regular 6

and a 7 string with thinner than wizard? im sure that will survive a fall of stage lol.
Quote by JeffVader.
thats a brand

and i am in E standard just a regular 6 string.

I think he meant .008 gauge strings
seriously just get an ibanez and put light gauge strings on it and keep the action low.
LTD Mh-400 or MH-1000, or an old Ibanez RG 760, you guys are talking up the Wizard II, how about the old Wizard 1? Now that's thin as ****, shred!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Zayrank
seriously just get an ibanez and put light gauge strings on it and keep the action low.

mmmmmm.....lovin the misconception that "IBANEZ=FASTER THAN ANY OTHER GUITAR". I've played teles that felt faster than some ibanez model. while it's true that you're typically getting a guitar geared toward shredding, having "Ibanez" on the headstock does not automatically means its the best guitar for really fast playing. I would recommend trying out a few Deans, Schecters, Jacksons, ESPs, and yes, a few Ibanez guitars before actually making that purchase. And honestly, i wouldn't trust most people people on the internet with a purchase of more than 10$. It's all about personal opinion, and avoiding the trolls. And after you do make your purchase, get a really low action and slap on some light strings. I would say to go for Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys for standard or drop D, especially if you have a light touch
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Prestige Ibanez. Look into RG1550s, RG1570s, RG2550s, RG2570s, FR1620, FR2620, S5470, or SV5470. The RGs are basswood. That's a good shed wood. It's very neutral. It's the choice wood of Vai, Petrucci, Satch, Gilbert, and EVH. It cuts through extremely well. The FRs are ash. I don't know many guitarists who use ash except for Paul Gilbert. But it's extremely popular among Japanese shredders (maybe because it's abundant there). The Ss and SVs are mahogany. Usually, mahogany doesn't work well for shred because it doesn't cut through as well and it gets muddy easier than other woods. But the Ibanez S body is thin enough so that doesn't happen. Petrucci and Satch have mahogany versions of their signature guitar. But they're usually seen with the basswood versions. Another good wood for shred is alder. But the only way to get that from Ibanez is to get the alder JEM or an Andy Timmons sig.
Quote by JeffVader.
i never said ' i need a shred guitar because i cant shred on other traditional guitars' i just want the best sounding and playing guitar.

so pretty much you started "what guitar is best for me" thread?
It's all about feel
Quote by JELIFISH19
Prestige Ibanez. Look into RG1550s, RG1570s, RG2550s, RG2570s, FR1620, FR2620, S5470, or SV5470. The RGs are basswood. That's a good shed wood. It's very neutral. It's the choice wood of Vai, Petrucci, Satch, Gilbert, and EVH. It cuts through extremely well. The FRs are ash. I don't know many guitarists who use ash except for Paul Gilbert. But it's extremely popular among Japanese shredders (maybe because it's abundant there). The Ss and SVs are mahogany. Usually, mahogany doesn't work well for shred because it doesn't cut through as well and it gets muddy easier than other woods. But the Ibanez S body is thin enough so that doesn't happen. Petrucci and Satch have mahogany versions of their signature guitar. But they're usually seen with the basswood versions. Another good wood for shred is alder. But the only way to get that from Ibanez is to get the alder JEM or an Andy Timmons sig.

thanks thats a lot of help
Quote by JELIFISH19
Prestige Ibanez.S5470

One of the best guitars I've ever played... But I still play "faster" on my Gibson, so at least try out some other models besides Ibby.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Out of all my axes (and all of the ones I've sold off in the past too), I'd have to say that either my ESP/LTD Jeff Hanneman shreds the best, or perhaps either of my Petrucci model guitars (well, that's what they're made for!).

If you're looking for sustain + something you can play fast, I'd recommend: neck through construction, hot pickups (EMG active 81/85, Air Norton/Steve's Special or whatever you prefer), Ebony fingerboard, a flatter (longer) radius and a thinner neck profile. Then again, I like a neck with some thickness to it in the right areas for the perfect amount of "bite". I prefer a Floyd Rose Original, but if you could get by without a tremolo, a string-through-body option with a graphite nut would yield even more sustain.
Well I would say that the S is the worst one I listed for strictly shred. All of the Prestiges (of this year outside of the US) are the same quality and come with the exact same neck, so check out the RGs and FRs.
why would you want a guitar for NOTHING but shred? widen your musical abilities man, shred great, but you can shred on ANY guitar.
Just sayin' you should get a versitile guitar that can play anything, cheers.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
why would you want a guitar for NOTHING but shred? widen your musical abilities man, shred great, but you can shred on ANY guitar.
Just sayin' you should get a versitile guitar that can play anything, cheers.

Because he obviously has other guitars and it's only for practicing and recording leads. And just because something is a good "shred" guitar doesn't make it not good for anything else. The thing that makes a "shred" guitar good for "shred" is a neck that's suitable for fast playing.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 31, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Because he obviously has other guitars and it's only for practicing and recording leads. And just because something is a good "shred" guitar doesn't make it not good for anything else. The thing that makes a "shred" guitar good for "shred" is a neck that's suitable for fast playing.

the whole point is that there's no such a thing as a shred guitar.

It's all about feel
LTD M series Fo' sho'. Look for a used M-400 or M-1000.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.