Page 1 of 3
I just have this problem and I'll explain it to the best of my ability so as not to give off the wrong message.

Recently I did some research and heard a lot of good things about Vital Remains and Deicide and Dave Suzuki as a guitarist. I decided to check them out seeing as how I'm always trying to gain musical knowledge for my own playing.

Long story short I was watching Dave's stuff on youtube and it was f*cking awesome. I loved his soloing style and his guitar playing.

Then I did further research and found out just HOW Satanic both Vital Remains and Deicide really were. Now I'm used to listening to some Satanic bands (Venom, Suffocation, Slayer, etc.) but those bands don't COMPLETELY revolve around Satanism (to my knowledge). I checked out Deicide and just about every album cover and most songs have some sort of something that is gruesome towards religion.

I'm in sort of a dilemma because as much as I want to check these guys out further this would be the first band I get into that is as Satanic as they are. Being a Christian listening to that level of satanic music, you'd imagine I'd feel a little guilty. I'm typically very open minded about everything but this is a little unnerving.

Any words or insight you guys could offer that would maybe lighten the burden on me?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
you could always just focus on the music if the lyrical subjects bother you that much.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Listen to it if you like the music, the lyrics/artwork/whatever is all just a decoration. You can listen to music and not be warped by it, it's not like taking heroin.

About the christian thing, I have my beliefs that I won't go into, but you can just listen to the music and enjoy it for what it is. You don't have to let it change your mind or become blown out of proportion.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Aug 31, 2009,
Meh Deicide are lame about Satanism anyway...they make it look like more of a joke than it really should be. Don't worry about it.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

if you are content with being christian, then why would it bother you if they preach satanism?

Dechristianize is really pollished, but its death metal man, you can't make out most of what he says anyways.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by linfield4466
Meh Deicide are lame about Satanism anyway...they make it look like more of a joke than it really should be. Don't worry about it.

this too
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by linfield4466

???

How so? lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
because they have songs like "**** you jesus"

where real satanism isn't necessarily anti-christian.

Sumdeus
a Satanic metal band that doesn't have that "comic book" feel that Glenn Benton (Deicide) puts into it would be Akercocke.

Plus Akercocke are way better than Deicide.
HESSIAN HAREM
???

How so? lol

Well for one thing Glen Benton stamped a goddamned Inverted Cross to his forehead! And he thinks that Satan is his "spiritual master". He's an idiot, but early Deicide is awesome.

Not trying to sounds like a dick, by the way
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Quote by romencer17
because they have songs like "**** you jesus"

where real satanism isn't necessarily anti-christian.

Lol yeah.

THAT's kind of more what I meant.

Maybe I didn't mean Satanic bands but anti-Christian.

I believe that everyone has the right to their own opinions, beliefs, and it is up to everyone to decide on how to choose to live their own life. But I feel kind of against Anti-Christian metal in the sense that they talk about how religion is terrible yadda yadda yadda yet they are the ones really being Evangelical in the sense that they're trying to force their own ways on others through the lyrical style.

But that's a whole other thread lol.

I liked the stuff (guitar wise) I heard from Vital Remains more than Deicide though.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Vital Remains is the shit
besides, you cant hear whatever the hell he's saying anyway, so screw it an joy the music man
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
there is a simple answer if you enjoy the music but not the vocalist...

ignore him.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
there is a simple answer if you enjoy the music but not the vocalist...

ignore him.

Yeah

I guess that would be the logical solution.

On a side note I was a little unnerved seeing kind of artwork that they use for their albums lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
They're just words that express one person's point of view. Would you hate a band because they wrote some songs about love or war? How about experiences that made them bitter? Tacos?

The list goes on, but the point is that they're just someone's view, and a singer should be uncensored, always. If you're secure in your beliefs, hearing someone say something contrary shouldn't bother you becuase you'll just accept it as what it is - his opinion on something nobody knows about for sure.

IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
satanism isn't about hating God, it's about being your own God. Obviously this goes against everything Christianity (especially Catholicism) stands for, but don't you have enough faith not to feel swayed by a band that (if the posts above are correct) make a big spectacle of being 'Satanist?' If you feel bad about giving them money then download their songs. I personally am not religious but listen to music by artists with strong beliefs, take the art for what it is and honestly the faction of Christians that hate on inflamatory media is pretty much extinct anyways.

If you really aren't being changed by the music, God will know that right? And as long as you aren't worshipping them or their beliefs you aren't doing anything wrong. Trust me, I did ten years of Catholic school.
Music is music. As far as I'm concerned, Satanic, Christian, and super-liberal folkies are all similar, in that their music is about their belief.

If the belief is more important than the music, don't listen. If they put music first and belief second, give it a spin.
well if you listen to the music you don't necessarily have to see the artwork they use, or read the lyrics they use.

especially the latter, as this is extreme metal.

Sumdeus
Quote by comftrblynum
satanism isn't about hating God, it's about being your own God. Obviously this goes against everything Christianity (especially Catholicism) stands for, but don't you have enough faith not to feel swayed by a band that (if the posts above are correct) make a big spectacle of being 'Satanist?' If you feel bad about giving them money then download their songs. I personally am not religious but listen to music by artists with strong beliefs, take the art for what it is and honestly the faction of Christians that hate on inflamatory media is pretty much extinct anyways.

If you really aren't being changed by the music, God will know that right? And as long as you aren't worshipping them or their beliefs you aren't doing anything wrong. Trust me, I did ten years of Catholic school.

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I dislike any form of preaching in my music. Whether it's about Satan, God or the even worse bull**** militant pro-vegitarian ramblings of Cattle Decapitation.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Last edited by Monolith295 at Aug 31, 2009,
You didn't mean Satanic, I'll tell you that much.
This is theistic, playground crap. Real Satanism revolves around free thought, freedom from confines and the idea that you can be who you want to be without having someone else tell you.
Not this "SATAN IS MY MASTER, OH GOD, SUCK MY HORNED DICK, OH MY GOAT HEADED LORD" crap. Glen Benton is a 15 year old goth kid stuck in an adult's body. Don't let his rantings about how Jesus is queer affect your judgement. If you're truely content with your religion, nothing will shake you from your stance.

This coming from someone who is intently anti-western religion. The key issue here is freedom of ideas. You can follow whatever you want, but if you do, don't let some bearded gimp with a crucifix in his head tell you that god is gay.
Dude, I don't like religion but I listen to all these satanic and christian bands most of the time I don't really like the message they portray but I just focus on the music but if some bands have really powerful religion themes then I'll get turned on by the lyrical subject like August Burns Red for example they have some great lyrics. I love Vital Remains but I just laugh at the fact how ungodly they are and how Satan is all great and stuff. IMO it's all the same to me, but I don't personally care because the music is the turning point if I myself am a lyricist and personally find it kind of retarded to write about satanism unless it's done right like Desaster, Venom, Old Slayer whatever, but Deicide like they have some good albums and all like the brothers on the guitar in old Deicide completely slayed but the lyrics not so much and also their drummer Steve or whatever is a beast on the kit. Meh, just my personal opinion. So just stick to the music if the lyrical content doesn't intrigue you, if you like the sound listen to it, if you don't then turn away and say you tried.

EDIT: Mag you changed your avatar.
I drink your milkshake.
Quote by SeveredSurvival
Dude, I don't like religion but I listen to all these satanic and christian bands most of the time I don't really like the message they portray but I just focus on the music but if some bands have really powerful religion themes then I'll get turned on by the lyrical subject like August Burns Red for example they have some great lyrics. I love Vital Remains but I just laugh at the fact how ungodly they are and how Satan is all great and stuff. IMO it's all the same to me, but I don't personally care because the music is the turning point if I myself am a lyricist and personally find it kind of retarded to write about satanism unless it's done right like Desaster, Venom, Old Slayer whatever, but Deicide like they have some good albums and all like the brothers on the guitar in old Deicide completely slayed but the lyrics not so much and also their drummer Steve or whatever is a beast on the kit. Meh, just my personal opinion. So just stick to the music if the lyrical content doesn't intrigue you, if you like the sound listen to it, if you don't then turn away and say you tried.

EDIT: Mag you changed your avatar.

I know this is off topic, and I apologise in advance, but the fact that the above wall of text only has four (4) periods is worth pointing out.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
They're just words that express one person's point of view. Would you hate a band because they wrote some songs about love or war? How about experiences that made them bitter? Tacos?

The list goes on, but the point is that they're just someone's view, and a singer should be uncensored, always.

IMO.

I see where you're coming from absolutely and you're right.

It's like this.

It's a lot easier for me to listen to a band like (let's say) Slayer. They don't necesarrily believe in God but they don't have every song on every album saying all Christians are idiots or trying to demoralize one's religion even IF that's the way they feel.

I think it might be in my mind a matter of respect. I see like this:

Would you walk up to a black kid and give him sh*t every day because he's black?

Would you rip on someone because of what kind of clothes they wear even if they're an awesome person at heart?

etc etc

I feel like the reason there are Anti-Religion or Anti-Christian bands are because religion is such a worldwide, widespread thing and there isn't necessarily any physical proof of any of it, hence they are described as beliefs. I feel like those kinds of bands try to demoralize those who have made a choice on how to live their own life.

And that imo is what it comes down to. A choice.

Do you really want to hate on someone because they made a life choice for themselves? If there was a kid who wanted to be a teacher when he grew up, and you didn't like teachers or education, would you hound the kid for wanting to be a teacher?

ANYHOW, I digress again. I don't want to be hypocritical or try to show any disrespect to any school of beliefs. These are just the thoughts that hold me back from listening to those kinds of bands. And the frustrating part is like I said before, I like the musicianship of a some of those bands.

I guess I really have two choices: Listen to them and ignore the singing or don't listen at all.

Imo I think I'll try to give them a listen and ignore the vocals. Like you guys have said, why let just ONE measly aspect of the band to ruin my whole experience.

Hopefully you guys see where I'm coming from with all of this.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by comftrblynum

Never really thought of it like that. I like the way you explained it.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Really off topic, but Bodom, your name makes me think of some awesome 50's radioshow type superhero.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I'm not gonna quote you cause that's a sh*t ton of writing, BUT -

I see your point, and to an extent I agree with it. Would I rip on someone based on those criterion? No, but I should have the freedom to do so. Personally, I think it's morally unacceptable, but it should be allowed as a part of basic freedoms. That's just my opinoin. I'm not defending what they're saying, but I think they should be able to say it just like you should be able to say that you believe in Christianity, which goes against some of what the Jewish faith speaks for, which both go opposite the Hindu faiths and the Quran.

If we stopped saying what we believe just because someone else believed contrary, we'd all exist in silence.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I'm not gonna quote you cause that's a sh*t ton of writing, BUT -

I see your point, and to an extent I agree with it. Would I rip on someone based on those criterion? No, but I should have the freedom to do so. Personally, I think it's morally unacceptable, but it should be allowed as a part of basic freedoms. That's just my opinoin. I'm not defending what they're saying, but I think they should be able to say it just like you should be able to say that you believe in Christianity, which goes against what the Jewish faith speaks for, which both go opposite the Hindu faiths and the Quran.

If we stopped saying what we believe just because someone else believed contrary, we'd all exist in silence.

I agree with you in that regardless of anything everyone is entitled to the freedom to have their own beliefs and their own freedom to express.

However, I just think that it would be cool if their was sort of a little bit of respect shown. I don't think that it's too awesome to be showing so much disrespect to a bunch of people you don't even know.

It really comes down to

Respect vs. Inhibitions

Let's say for instance I was this monster Evangelical Christian who believed in trying to force everyone to be Christians. Would it be awesome for me to climb the rooftops or go into the nearest 7 Eleven and rant about how all non-Christians should be burned alive and tortured to death?

Even if someone did believe in that kind of stuff, I think that if they were RESPECTFUL about their beliefs, themselves, and other people they could still express themselves but still remain respectful so as not to COMPLETELY f*ck with everyone else. It's like punching someone in the face and going "HEY ***HOLE! I thought that I felt I should express how ugly I thought your face was."

You see where I'm going with this? I think that expressing yourself with respect is great, regardless what you're religion, belief, etc etc is/are. Even a FRIENDLY debate is fine. But when you try to start these freakin Holy Wars (no metal pun intended) like that. I just feel that expression can be done in a way that is a lot better.

And I mean all of this in the most respectful way possible lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
before i got into black metal, i wouldn't listen to an album with low production. Everything had to be squeaky clean and almost sterile.

since I saw past the low production and into the wonderful music, black metal has to be my favorite genre of music now. I'm not as picky with production as I was, but I still like to know whats going on.

Sometimes, production can make or break a black metal record.

Point is, I chose not to let production ruin my experience of great music.
HESSIAN HAREM
I'm a Christian and listen to the most blasphemous metal out there

Don't let it bother you
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

What I don't like about this thread...your post.

I'm just kidding.

In all honesty, everything's been said. You can't let the band's opinions stand in the way of music you might possibly enjoy. Take for example, Nokturnal Mortum. Some of their views are just repulsive concerning black people. But, they have a really great sound and it's rad.

If you're too uncomfortable, don't force yourself to listen to it though, Deicide's good, but not that good. Akercocke on the other hand are something you should force yourself to listen to.

Truly satanic compared Deicide.
I'm Buddhist and I listen to these satanic bands. So it's kinda win-win for me.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Any band that tries to force any opinion on anyone else is lame and shouldn't be taken all that seriously because they're probably a bunch of idiots.

I don't want to get into this whole confrontational vs friendly debate bullshit, because it won't do any good.
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Not to worry, Vital Remains suck arse anyway.

Quote by progbass
a Satanic metal band that doesn't have that "comic book" feel that Glenn Benton (Deicide) puts into it would be Akercocke.

Plus Akercocke are way better than Deicide.

This man and his moustache tell the truth.
music and religion (atleast today) are two different things...

how music evolved and stuff like that says something else, but for now atleast, dont get bothered, listen to orphaned land and be happy for some non-anti-christian/pro-satanic music,
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Would you walk up to a black kid and give him sh*t every day because he's black?

obviously not, but there's one BIG difference. you're choosing to listen to deicide, ie choosing to listen to something potentially offensive to you. if you walk up to a black kid and give him ****, he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. it would be different if someone was approaching you and forcing you to listen to deicide. all deicide are doing is publishing their "beliefs" and leaving it up to you to listen to them.
As Satan himself, I must say that Deicide are an insult to my image. I'll recommend that you listen to Akercocke, as they are a bunch of very fetching young men, who write superb music.

Also, WORSHIP ME!!!!! I AM YOUR MASTER!!!! RA RA RA SIS BOOM BAH!!!!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
AI'll recommend that you listen to Akercocke, as they are a bunch of very fetching young men, who write superb music.

And it's incredibly unique. Very different stuff.
Page 1 of 3