I have problems playing the standard major and minor barre chords and the 5 string major and minor barre chords. So far, I've been practicing my open chords,which I've gotten pretty good at. What I do is I play the chord then I take my hand off and then I play it again for 20 minutes. Is this effective? and How can I play those barre chords I mentioned above fast and clean?
Quote by Bestmiler
I have problems playing the standard major and minor barre chords and the 5 string major and minor barre chords. So far, I've been practicing my open chords,which I've gotten pretty good at. What I do is I play the chord then I take my hand off and then I play it again for 20 minutes. Is this effective? and How can I play those barre chords I mentioned above fast and clean?

P-p-p-p-p-p-practice.
**** that was a tough one.

Okay jk jk but really just keep working on your chords and it will come with time. And for your form make sure you use your 3rd and 4th fingers rather than barring with your 4th. This will get you a cleaner crisper sound
Also work on switching between chords and progressively get faster. Use simple progressions.

(try tunes like knocking on heavens door or stairway to heaven)
Try using a metronome (if you don't have one, look online) and setting it to a slow tempo (like 60 or 70 bpm, for example), and play a different barre chord every measure. Incorporate both minor and major chords, but don't combine 5th and 6th chords until your fingers are strong enough.

Also, as you get better at barring your chords, increase the speed of the metronome, and use both the 5th and 6th string chords in your progressions.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr