So I recently decided to switch my neck humbucker with one from another guitar, mainly because I only used the bridge pickup anyway. Now this humbucker that I took out of the other guitar, has only 2 wires coming from it, a white, and one that looks like the shield.

Now I was hoping, when I took these apart, that I would just be able to cut and splice the wires in the pickup slot, but seeing as the pickup has 2 wires and my old one had the full 5 (red, white, black, green, and shield), I might have to do some soldering after all.

This is the best way I can summarize right here:

PICKUP ----->(white, shield) (red, white, black, green, shield) <------ GUITAR

My first question is, which wires from the guitar have to be connected to which wires from the pickup? I've tried a few combinations but with no luck.

My second question is, if there is no solution to the above, where would I connect the two wires from the pickup on to the five-way switch? (bypassing the old wires completely)

Interesting problem for all you electronics buffs out there, hope someone can help me out!
I'm pretty sure the extra 3 wires are for coil tapping, whereas you can't coil tap the 2-wire pickup.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Blaike
The old 5 wire pickup is a duncan detonator, I believe.
If your old pickup was a SD, (almost) certainly they used the Black for hot and the Green (along with the bare) for ground. Red and White would be tied together. They might have been connected to the 5-way for an automatic coil split. You won't be able to split this pickup. Don't connect anything to where the Red and White are.

Connect the White of the new pickup to where the Black on the old pickup was.
Connect the shield of the new pickup to where the Green/Bare of the old pickup was.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hmm you're right, I opened up the back cover and the red and white wires are indeed taped off. What does this mean, exactly?
Another correction, the switch in my guitar is a 3-way, sorry about that.
Okay I couldn't get any sound out of it with that setup, but I switched the black and the green and got sound right away. So I guess the right config is white---> green , bare----> black/bare. Thanks a lot guys!

My old pickup was a duncan designed, according to the back.
next time around, use the Guitar Wiring thread for questions like this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006
Same link that's in zakkwyldefan79's signature.

A lot of these questions are answered in the OP.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What kind of guitar was this anyway?

Also, welcome to the forums.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.